TMSHelp Forum
TMSHelp Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Resources | Links | Policy
Username:
Password:

Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 TMSHelp
 TMSHelp General Forum
 Acupuncture
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Matt2013

11 Posts

Posted - 06/05/2013 :  07:20:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A couple of years ago I had acupuncture and remedial massage on my wrists as the problem was ‘lumps (adhesions/hard tissue/scar tissue etc....)’ on my wrists according to the practitioner.

She treated my condition locally; she put the needles in my actual wrist. 5 in each. It was agonising. She insisted the problem was local and caused by a lump in my wrist.

After the acupuncture she tried to physically re-mould the adhesions on my wrists. With her knuckles she tried to essentially scrape them into a smaller state. This was agonising… and I can only imagine made the situation so much worse.

After the third treatment I woke up with pins and needles in my hand. Whenever I used my hand to open a door for example, I would then get agonising pains in my hand which felt like an electric shock. It took 3 months to disperse. Although it didn’t feel quite right for a year afterwards and never 100 percent even now.

The therapist claimed it must be because it’s cold outside so the blood could not get to my hands!

The reason I have posted this is because I'm now thinking psychological and moving away from the physical. However there's still a bit of doubt in me that worries that stuff like this that I did to make myself better from what I now know as tms could be long lasting....

Now could acupuncture and essentially rubbing adhesions on the wrist to agonising levels to remould them cause permanent damage?

I'm hoping for some tms reinforcement here! some ideas that suggest that there's no way there would be any long lasting damage and that I'm being an idiot!

thanks!
Matt

tennis tom

USA
4746 Posts

Posted - 06/05/2013 :  08:54:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've had over 200 acupuncture treatments from a "friend" with no benefits except for the relaxation. If I had it to do over again, I would get some real body work for my like massage, (but not to fix anything TMS'y). Once the needling stopped so did the "friendship". I've also had over ninety Rolfing sessions--that was a lot of "fun"--some bruising but nothing permanent, I'll take Rolfing over surgery. That sounds like what she was doing to your wrist--"deep tisue". The body is strong, I don't think she could have done any permanent damage to you unless she hit you with a hammer.

I had a nerve wrist thing similar to yours, caused by a lab tech having to press down very hard on my wrist to draw blood while at the ER (my blood was down 50% so it was hard to find any). My wrist felt numb, on checkout from the hospital I asked my attending physician about it, he said it was a pinched nerve and would go away in a while--(a placebo). My mind was eased and it went away in "a while", I don't recall exactly, a week or two or a month. Yours sound similar except without the the doc gave me the white-coat impramature of reassurance.

G'luck!
tt

==================================================

DR. SARNO'S 12 DAILY REMINDERS:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F8D7w0IUIPU
www.youtube.com/watch?v=r0dKBFwGR0g

TAKE THE HOLMES-RAHE STRESS TEST
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Holmes_and_Rahe_stress_scale

Some of my favorite excerpts from _THE DIVIDED MIND_ :
http://www.tmshelp.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=2605

==================================================

"It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society." Jiddu Krishnamurti

"Pain is inevitable; suffering is optional." Author Unknown

"Happy People Are Happy Putters." Frank Nobilo, Golf Analyst

"Be careful about reading health books. You may die of a misprint." Mark Twain and Balto

"The hot-dog is the noblest of dogs; it feeds the hand that bites it." Dr. Laurence Johnston Peter

"...the human emotional system was not designed to endure the mental rigors of a tennis match." Dr. Allen Fox
======================================================

"If it ends with "itis" or "algia" or "syndrome" and doctors can't figure out what causes it, then it might be TMS." Dave the Mod =================================================

TMS PRACTITIONERS:

John Sarno, MD
400 E 34th St, New York, NY 10016
(212) 263-6035

Dr. Sarno is now retired, if you call this number you will be referred to his associate Dr. Rashbaum.

"...there are so many things little and big that are tms, I wouldn't have time to write about all of them": Told to icelikeaninja by Dr. Sarno

Here's the TMS practitioners list from the TMS Help Forum:
http://www.tmshelp.com/links.htm

Here's a list of TMS practitioners from the TMS Wiki:
http://tmswiki.org/ppd/Find_a_TMS_Doctor_or_Therapist

Here's a map of TMS practitioners from the old Tarpit Yoga site, (click on the map by state for listings).:
http://www.tarpityoga.com/2007_08_01_archive.html

Edited by - tennis tom on 06/05/2013 10:37:29
Go to Top of Page

Matt2013

11 Posts

Posted - 06/05/2013 :  09:28:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
cheers tt...

made the step of putting away my tablet and turning my standing desk to a normal one yesterday!

getting close!
Go to Top of Page

pspa123

672 Posts

Posted - 06/05/2013 :  20:36:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
In my travels I went to at least several acupuncturists who allegedly were among the best in my area and who made many promises. A couple had medical degrees from China, had written textbook chapters, etc. I can honestly state none of it did a blessed thing for me except to cost me money.
Go to Top of Page

balto

839 Posts

Posted - 06/06/2013 :  07:36:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
pspa, you didn't believe in the method or you have doubt or you don't trust the acupuncturist enough for it to work. :) A treatment method only work if you believe it will work.

Same with Sarno's theory, if you don't believe in his theory, if you doubted it, or if you don't trust Sarno then it will not help you at all.

------------------------
No, I don't know everything. I'm just here to share my experience.
Go to Top of Page

pspa123

672 Posts

Posted - 06/06/2013 :  07:45:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It has been said that most of the history of medicine is tapping into the placebo effect. There is a lot of truth in that, I think. Is there such a thing as a neutralcebo -- something that has no effect because you don't expect it to have any effect?
Go to Top of Page

Racer

USA
129 Posts

Posted - 06/06/2013 :  07:46:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Years back I tried acupuncture treatment. It never worked for me. It was bit embarrassing as well, as they prick the needles around hip, pelvis (lower abdomen, etc).

As TT mentioned, it was bit relaxation, and nothing else. I will be pain free only for a brief period of 30 minutes, and then the pain comes back. I wasted lot of money on this acupuncture treatment, we don't get covered under medical insurance.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
TMSHelp Forum © TMSHelp.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000