TMSHelp Forum
TMSHelp Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Resources | Links | Policy
Username:
Password:

Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 TMSHelp
 TMSHelp General Forum
 Shin Splints
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

stevep

106 Posts

Posted - 07/10/2014 :  22:07:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Have been hitting the pavement like a madman lately. I've ran before and was running a bit, but not like this as I'm training for something. Anyway, long story short, started getting what I guess I can only describe as shin splints. On the interior of my lower leg/shin area and a bit up. So on the side as opposed to front of shin. When I palpate and find that sweet spot, I think it's muscle as opposed to bone. I can't be too sure though. Whatever the case, it's kinda not going away.

Could this be a manifestation of TMS? Or is this one simply me pounding my shins? I know I'm a TMS'r as I've had the classic lower back issues that proceeded to relapse in different spots throughout the past couple of years (doing pretty damn good on that front). This one sounds structural though, huh?

tennis tom

USA
4746 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2014 :  11:06:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Rearding SHIN SPLINTS from Steven Ray Ozanich's TMS book "THE GREAT PAIN DECEPTION":

"Shin splints--Pounding feet on pavement is erroneously considered to be the cause of shin splints. The old wive's tale is that the muscle has pulled from the shin. Then somehow it miraculously reconnects again in a few days or weeks when the pain suddenly leaves. The foot hitting the pavement is merely the trigger for Phase 2 TMS. The inner self does not want to be running (demanding energy). Dr. Sarno called shin slints 'TMS Tendonitis'."

From page 352, Apendix A: TMS Equivalents--Serving the Same Purpose as Pain

G'luck!
tt

==================================================

TAKE THE HOLMES-RAHE STRESS TEST
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Holmes_and_Rahe_stress_scale

Some of my favorite excerpts from _THE DIVIDED MIND_ :
http://www.tmshelp.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=2605

==================================================

"It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society." Jiddu Krishnamurti

"Pain is inevitable; suffering is optional." Author Unknown

"Happy People Are Happy Putters." Frank Nobilo, Golf Analyst

"Be careful about reading health books. You may die of a misprint." Mark Twain and Balto

"The hot-dog is the noblest of dogs; it feeds the hand that bites it." Dr. Laurence Johnston Peter

"...the human emotional system was not designed to endure the mental rigors of a tennis match." Dr. Allen Fox
======================================================

"If it ends with "itis" or "algia" or "syndrome" and doctors can't figure out what causes it, then it might be TMS." Dave the Mod

=================================================

TMS PRACTITIONERS:

John Sarno, MD
400 E 34th St, New York, NY 10016
(212) 263-6035

Dr. Sarno is now retired, if you call this number you will be referred to his associate Dr. Rashbaum.

"...there are so many things little and big that are tms, I wouldn't have time to write about all of them": Told to icelikeaninja by Dr. Sarno

Here's the TMS practitioners list from the TMS Help Forum:
http://www.tmshelp.com/links.htm

Here's a list of TMS practitioners from the TMS Wiki:
http://tmswiki.org/ppd/Find_a_TMS_Doctor_or_Therapist

Go to Top of Page

altherunner

Canada
511 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2014 :  21:05:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I run quite often, I had shin splints and a few other
leg pains after the back and neck pain went away.
I don't remember what "clicked" to make me realize
it was tms. Now I run barefoot without pain except
the odd sliver.
Go to Top of Page

stevep

106 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2014 :  23:46:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks guys. I actually have Steve O's book. Bought it on kindle after the hard copy fell apart on me from flipping through so much. I love that book. One of the best things I have ever done is buy that book. Really drove it home for me, and I talk with him via email from time to time. I forgot about that snippet on shin splints so thanks Tom.

I'm definitely having a tough go with this one. I feel like the pain is directly correlated with my sudden increase in running. I mean, some things in this life are structurally causing pain no? Sometimes pain really can come from trauma no? Doesn't Sarno even acknowledge that? Perhaps this is a time to email Steve O.

altherunner, did you do anything to alleviate the pain in the meantime before beating that TMS symptom? I honestly don't have time to rest it at the moment. I need to get out there for something important. I bought this KT tape to try tomorrow. Ever try that? I know, I know. If I am to accept that it's TMS, then forego all that stuff. Easier said than done sometimes. I mean, icing things and painkillers are not always necessarily forbidden even. So what's the difference?
Go to Top of Page

Dave

USA
1864 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2014 :  11:23:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by stevep
I feel like the pain is directly correlated with my sudden increase in running.

This is one of the most critical aspects about TMS. You are conditioned to feel the symptoms in the manner in which you expect them.

If you continue to believe that the running is the cause of the pain, and are unable to repudiate the structural diagnosis and cease physical treatment, then you have not taken step 1.
Go to Top of Page

stevep

106 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2014 :  19:18:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dave

quote:
I feel like the pain is directly correlated with my sudden increase in running.

This is one of the most critical aspects about TMS. You are conditioned to feel the symptoms in the manner in which you expect them.

If you continue to believe that the running is the cause of the pain, and are unable to repudiate the structural diagnosis and cease physical treatment, then you have not taken step 1.

The thing that is getting me, is that I never feared or even thought about shin splints. I never had this notion in my head that "you have to be careful running due to possible shin pain". In fact, I've ran on and off for years now never with even a twinge of pain down there. Now all of the sudden? This is what is tripping me up...
Go to Top of Page

altherunner

Canada
511 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2014 :  21:58:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Monte Hueftle posts here regularly, I bought his book about running pain, I think it helped me with seeing that my running "injuries" were
tms. I don't stretch much, but sometimes I stretch my shins by sitting
on my heels. Running barefoot or with minimal footwear and not landing
on my heels has helped with tiredness and normal muscle pain.
Changing running style and stride is a personal thing that I would not say some one else should do, but it has been beneficial to me.
Go to Top of Page

tennis tom

USA
4746 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2014 :  23:20:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Take a look at the Rahe-Holmes stress list to see what emotionally charged events occurred in the last year that may be triggering TMS symptoms as a distraction:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Holmes_and_Rahe_stress_scale
Go to Top of Page

Dave

USA
1864 Posts

Posted - 07/13/2014 :  11:48:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
The thing that is getting me, is that I never feared or even thought about shin splints...

Yet, you posted a thread titled "Shin Splints" so clearly the thought must have entered your mind somehow.

TMS is a clever process and will seize opportunities that have the potential to keep you focused in the physical realm.
Go to Top of Page

stevep

106 Posts

Posted - 07/13/2014 :  17:16:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dave

quote:
The thing that is getting me, is that I never feared or even thought about shin splints...

Yet, you posted a thread titled "Shin Splints" so clearly the thought must have entered your mind somehow.

TMS is a clever process and will seize opportunities that have the potential to keep you focused in the physical realm.

I understand what you're saying. What I meant by that though, was that I never feared shin splints or even gave it any thought like I did with back pain back when TMS got me with that. I obviously heard of them before, but was never at the forefront of my thinking by any means when it came to exercise. The pain sort of just started happening...
Go to Top of Page

Dave

USA
1864 Posts

Posted - 07/13/2014 :  18:23:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
...I obviously heard of them before, but was never at the forefront of my thinking by any means when it came to exercise. The pain sort of just started happening...

I suggest not to make any assumptions about the details of the symptoms and what causes them. I find it best to consider TMS as a random process.

The key is to recognize when the pain is likely to be just another manifestation, and recondition yourself at that moment by ignoring the symptom and refocusing your thoughts on emotional issues that you may not be fully appreciating.
Go to Top of Page

tennis tom

USA
4746 Posts

Posted - 07/13/2014 :  18:28:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Since you don't appear to have any emotional issues, MAYBE it's just shin-splints. I've run 13 marathons and hundreds of races and never had shin splints, but have had the gamut of other injuries. I would start with the usual R.I.C.E and if that doesn't cure it start the allopathic regimen, new shoes ($125), custom orthotics ($500), p.t $150 per treatment, running podiatrist workup $250 approx.

g'luck!
Go to Top of Page

altherunner

Canada
511 Posts

Posted - 07/13/2014 :  20:35:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
13 marathons! good for you! I have done 7, hope to do a couple more.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
TMSHelp Forum © TMSHelp.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000