TMSHelp Forum
TMSHelp Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Resources | Links | Policy
Username:
Password:

Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 TMSHelp
 TMSHelp General Forum
 End
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page  
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

miehnesor

USA
430 Posts

Posted - 07/29/2014 :  23:39:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I too discovered Sarno in 1999 but it took about 7 years of work with NO improvement in symptoms before I discovered the repressed rage and worked through it over the course of several years to bring my symptoms down.

Here are some thoughts that I had when I read some of your previous posts.

This resumption of symptoms started with the death of your friend, a very sad development. This acted as an emotional trigger for much deeper intense emotions probably wrt to parents that could not be allowed into consciousness so the ego produced pain to block it.

Are you able to feel any of these emotions in therapy? If not then you may not be benefiting as you should. Rage is usually the culprit because of it's intensity but the inner child did not have an outlet for anger and so it builds and turns into rage.

Have you tried inner child work? I've found it has incredible power to tap into emotions provided the inner adult can really be there for the child and make it safe enough to have the feelings. This is the key. Providing the safety and support so the childs feelings can come out. The pain is there to let you know that the feelings are pushing hard for expression.

I hope this helps. If it doesn't I hope the support you are getting from others here helps.
best

Go to Top of Page

shawnsmith

Czech Republic
2048 Posts

Posted - 07/30/2014 :  07:32:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I don't blame Marsha -- all the ****ty advice she has received has not helped her in the least even after 7 years of trying. Why cannot people on this board divest themselves of the cult of Sarno and come to the realization that most of what he says is a crock of ****. If she perishes at her own hands it will be the fault of the people on this board. Shame on you all.
Go to Top of Page

tennis tom

USA
4746 Posts

Posted - 07/30/2014 :  09:36:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
OK SS, what's your advice to her?
Go to Top of Page

Back2-It

USA
438 Posts

Posted - 07/30/2014 :  21:11:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by shawnsmith

I don't blame Marsha -- all the ****ty advice she has received has not helped her in the least even after 7 years of trying. Why cannot people on this board divest themselves of the cult of Sarno and come to the realization that most of what he says is a crock of ****. If she perishes at her own hands it will be the fault of the people on this board. Shame on you all.

It has been pointed out by a few, me included, that "TMS" is, I guess, Dr Sarno's label for anxiety symptoms. Those who want to can believe in a "distraction" theory, but it is probably more productive to understand that TMS/anxiety is a fear of the future and not a culmination of repression of horrible events of the past that are kept from frothing up by a physical symptom.

I think some of the advice I received here from many of the regulars was quite good, but for me it did not click completely. When I delved into the works of Dr. Low and went back to Dr. Weekes, I more understood what I was dealing with and how to deal with it. For 99%, it is not the past but fear of the future, which includes many things, including fear-avoidance of the pain of symptoms.

No matter what, Sarno does say that most people fail to heal because of fear, and that is what Low and Weekes and many, many others say. Conquering the fear was never outlined all that well in Dr. Sarno's books, so I had to look elsewhere for answers. It's that simple. However, had I not landed here, I would not have found the path to other sources and wellness.

Free advice is just that. You have the obligation, ShawnSmith, to see if it has value. This site and no site are guaranteed lifesavers.

"Bridges Freeze Before Roads"
Go to Top of Page

sf0789

Korea
8 Posts

Posted - 07/30/2014 :  22:23:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Back2-It
it is probably more productive to understand that TMS/anxiety is a fear of the future and not a culmination of repression of horrible events of the past that are kept from frothing up by a physical symptom.

For 99%, it is not the past but fear of the future, which includes many things, including fear-avoidance of the pain of symptoms.

I definitely agree to your point Back2-It. My left ankle pain (mostly TMS) came from my fear that my other bodyparts than the actually injured right ankle become sick, too, and that I will be disable and in pain for the rest of my life. Oh this fear gave me much more severe pain on my left one than on the right one which was actually injured...
Go to Top of Page

alix

USA
434 Posts

Posted - 07/31/2014 :  01:38:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I disagree Shawnsmith. I went nowhere with the pure Sarno orthodoxy (reading and re-reading the books, knowledge penicillin etc...).

Ultimately I got better when I stopped being distracted (by all those books, videos, worksheets) or foolishly seeing TMS doctors and instead really address my emotions.

It is on this forum that I found great teachers like Dave, Dr.Alexander, Balto, Monte, and many others that made me genuinely "get it".
Go to Top of Page

andy64tms

USA
589 Posts

Posted - 07/31/2014 :  17:01:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Shame on you Shawn for lack of empathy for poor Marsha who seems at her wits end.

I personally decline from taking any shame for any of my posts and what I have written in the past. I also would like to thank “ALL” those shameful people you refer to who have given me so much hope and inspiration.

Get well Marsha.

Andy
Past TMS Experience in 2000, with success.
Charlie Horse on neck for 20 years, is almost gone.
Books:
Healing Back Pain
Unlearn your Pain
The Great Pain Deception

Edited by - andy64tms on 07/31/2014 17:03:12
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
TMSHelp Forum © TMSHelp.com Go To Top Of Page