TMSHelp Forum
TMSHelp Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Resources | Links | Policy
Username:
Password:

Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 TMSHelp
 TMSHelp General Forum
 spinal stenosis in the elderly
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

miehnesor

USA
430 Posts

Posted - 08/30/2014 :  21:55:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This request for feedback relates to my father who is 88 years old.

Just about 2 weeks ago he came down with severe pain in his back and leg
that was accompanied by inability to pee a day later. It also seems like
his bowel function has been impaired as well. He had an MRI which showed
severe problems in the L4/5 area in the lower back. We saw a neurologist
who said it was just about the worst looking MRI he has seen. The gap
which is supposed to be about 10 mm's in width looked to him to be 1-2mm.

So the poor guy has been at home now with a catheter and can barely walk.

I did a search here for spinal stenosis which looked encouraging in that it
rarely is the cause of the pain, but, what about those other systems in the
body like peeing that seems to be affected. Could TMS affect those systems?

One idea that occurred to me when reading the other stories here is to bring the
MRI to a TMS doctor and get his opinion.

If anyone has any inputs here I would really appreciate it. Thanks

tennis tom

USA
4746 Posts

Posted - 08/31/2014 :  06:48:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by miehnesor

...This request for feedback relates to my father who is 88 years old.

...One idea that occurred to me when reading the other stories here is to bring the MRI to a TMS doctor and get his opinion.

He's 88 it could be anything, the doc saying "It was just about the worst looking MRI he has seen," sounds suspect from a TMS perspective. Seeing a TMS physician is a great idea if you can find one. If there's not one near you maybe you can consult with one and let him review the findings. Minimally get some second and third opinions from other docs and maybe urologists.

G'luck!

TMS PRACTITIONERS:

Here's the TMS practitioners list from the TMS Help Forum:
http://www.tmshelp.com/links.htm

Here's a list of TMS practitioners from the TMS Wiki:
http://tmswiki.org/ppd/Find_a_TMS_Doctor_or_Therapist

Edited by - tennis tom on 08/31/2014 06:51:22
Go to Top of Page

miehnesor

USA
430 Posts

Posted - 08/31/2014 :  11:11:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks TT!

On Tuesday I will contact the one TMS doctor here in the San Francisco bay area
and find out if he would be appropriate to consult.

I've never heard of TMS affecting crucial support systems in the body like peeing
which if they fail to work are life threatening.

Any other doctors/TMS experts out there that would have an opinion on the matter.
Go to Top of Page

flyfishnevada

USA
15 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2014 :  22:54:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
While TMS is responsible for the vast majority of the explosion of back pain, there still are actual back injuries that can pinch nerves and cause problems.

I see no harm in consulting a TMS doctor. I have no idea if TMS could affect those systems. As long as you're father is still under the care of the conventional physician, it can't hurt. But considering the life threatening potential of what your father is suffering, I wouldn't stop the conventional therapy.

Honestly, I don't think Dr. Sarno's work was geared towards those of advanced age who could have severe, though maybe normal, degradation of their backs, among other issues, that might cause real harm.
Go to Top of Page

miehnesor

USA
430 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2014 :  23:53:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by flyfishnevada

While TMS is responsible for the vast majority of the explosion of back pain, there still are actual back injuries that can pinch nerves and cause problems.

I see no harm in consulting a TMS doctor. I have no idea if TMS could affect those systems. As long as you're father is still under the care of the conventional physician, it can't hurt. But considering the life threatening potential of what your father is suffering, I wouldn't stop the conventional therapy.

Honestly, I don't think Dr. Sarno's work was geared towards those of advanced age who could have severe, though maybe normal, degradation of their backs, among other issues, that might cause real harm.

Thanks flyfishnevada I was thinking along the same line. I did some web searches on spinal stenosis and one of the main symptoms is loss of elimination function. TMS can be life altering but it is not supposed to be life threatening. It just doesn't pass the "make sense" test that this is TMS.

The suggested treatment is keep moving, as long as it does not cause pain, and some mild back stretches to improve mobility of the spine. We will see whether this improves an admittedly bad situation.
Go to Top of Page

miehnesor

USA
430 Posts

Posted - 09/11/2014 :  23:48:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just wanted to report back that the stretches are working much faster than I would have
expected and his pain is basically gone now. Additionally his function is at least partially back.

Looks like pretty strong evidence that this is NOT TMS.
Go to Top of Page

Dave

USA
1864 Posts

Posted - 09/12/2014 :  14:50:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Does your father have any history of symptoms likely to be TMS (e.g. chronic back pain) or a TMS-prone personality type (perfectionist, goodist)?

If not, then it may be difficult to attribute this to TMS at his age. Unfortunately our bodies do not stay strong forever...
Go to Top of Page

miehnesor

USA
430 Posts

Posted - 09/15/2014 :  21:52:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thx Dave for your input. It does look like a case of old age wrt my father's
symptoms. He, unlike me, does not fit the TMS profile so at this point we
are just treating him with mild back stretches and his symptoms have
stabilized at partial functionality.
Go to Top of Page

miehnesor

USA
430 Posts

Posted - 09/28/2014 :  22:54:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Glad to report that my father is off of the catheters and his function has fully returned. Now just have to make sure he continues his stretches three times a day. No TMS going on here.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
TMSHelp Forum © TMSHelp.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000