TMSHelp Forum
TMSHelp Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Resources | Links | Policy
Username:
Password:

Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 TMSHelp
 TMSHelp General Forum
 Muscle memory/Guarding and Chronic Pain.
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

filipe

Portugal
280 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2014 :  15:06:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I was Reading my previous post and notice that exactly 1 month ago I had a relapse. I forgot that completely. Maybe my relapse has to do with getting back to work.

Anyway _i found a great article, that I would like to share with you guys. It's about muscle memory, and tension, which results in pain,

http://www.mikeuggen.com/writing/treatment/proprioception.htm

I don't believe the treatment suggested works, however. You are only feeding TMS with phisical therapy.

Thanks,

Filipe

Edited by - filipe on 09/03/2014 15:07:29

flyfishnevada

USA
15 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2014 :  22:43:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I completely understand why Dr. Sarno finally stopped his patients from engaging in physical therapy. It focused the mind on the physical instead of the psychological. On the other hand, some of the stuff I was doing, especially the stretching, felt good. I wonder if muscles deprived of enough oxygen for a long period of time wouldn't benefit from some stretching and therapy.

Still, I avoid it. For now anyway. My increased physical activity is probably enough to get things back in shape anyway.
Go to Top of Page

filipe

Portugal
280 Posts

Posted - 09/04/2014 :  01:40:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi

You know what I think? First of all, pain is definetely from oxygen depravation. However, I think that if your muscles are tense all the time, because of fear, the kind of muscle guarding they talked about, then they become oxygen deprived also. It's like when you are running. Your muscles get tired and you get cramps.

When I focus myslef on relaxing my muscles, the pain goes away, howver in a relapse state, my muscle get tense again shortly. And I think this happens because I cannot let go fear. I cannot change my focus from my pain, because I'm too scared. This reminds me what hapens with a condition called Vaginism. What had worked for me in the past was to be completely absorved with something else, such as taking care of your pet, or doing something you realy like. But you can't always be absorved with something good. Now I'm absorved with pain :(

Thanks,

Filipe

Go to Top of Page

tennis tom

USA
4746 Posts

Posted - 09/04/2014 :  08:09:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by filipe

...I think that if your muscles are tense all the time, because of fear, the kind of muscle guarding they talked about, then they become oxygen deprived also.

If it's TMS, (Tension Myositis/Myoneural Syndrome), the muscles if unused from an unfounded fear of doing damage, would ATROPHY from lack of use. There would still be an adequate oxygen supply to the surrounding muscle tissue through the circulatory system. Otherwise the tissue would die.

Dr. Sarno's theory is that it's a minute oxygen deprivation, harmless, but never the less, excruciatingly painful. If it's TMS this fear is fostered by the current allopathic medical system that there is structural damage rather then a psychosomatic cause for the pain, as a distraction from feeling and acting on culturally unacceptable rage.

As always check out new symptoms by a competent physician to discern if it's anything structurally serious, preferably by a TMS savvy doctor who can differentiate between structural and TMS/psychosomatic causes.

Edited by - tennis tom on 09/04/2014 08:15:00
Go to Top of Page

Dave

USA
1864 Posts

Posted - 09/05/2014 :  09:12:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Filipe,

Seems to me you are spending a lot of time researching your symptoms and looking for answers. While you might accept the mindbody connection on an intellectual level, you are still fighting it on some level. I suggest you simplify and follow Dr. Sarno's treatment suggestions and not be distracted.

Any research into physical causes or treatments for symptoms is counterproductive to recovery from TMS.
Go to Top of Page

filipe

Portugal
280 Posts

Posted - 09/05/2014 :  10:58:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Dave.

I'm feeling miserable lately. Once I read that when you're in pain, or depressed your brain is the size of a pea. I cannot seem to change my focus from my pain, and the reason why my body is letting me down once more :(.

You know, I have a small child, and he is very happy. I'm always affraid, of letting him down, and not being there for him, because I stupidly did some push-ups. When I think about him, I almost start crying instantly. But I read one day in a book about rhe science behind hapiness that crying is bad for you, and it might let you sick. So I avoid crying. Should I cry to free my emotions?

When my pain started, my sun was one year old. I read so much stuff on the Internet. I came acquintance with something dreadfull called RSD ou CRPS. I read awful things about it. I become very scared about it, until now. I'm petrified just for mentioning it.

Thanks,

Filipe

Go to Top of Page

tennis tom

USA
4746 Posts

Posted - 09/05/2014 :  11:51:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Thanks Dave.

... But I read one day in a book about rhe science behind hapiness that crying is bad for you, and it might let you sick. So I avoid crying. Should I cry to free my emotions?

WOW Filipe! I don't know where you got that one but I would put that site on my IGNORE list. For TMS health and recovery it would be quite the opposite. There's an American Indian saying, "If a man doesn't cry once a day you shouldn't trust him."

Stop googling symtoms! If you have a new one see a competent physician.

G'luck!
tt

==================================================

TAKE THE HOLMES-RAHE STRESS TEST
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Holmes_and_Rahe_stress_scale

Some of my favorite excerpts from _THE DIVIDED MIND_ :
http://www.tmshelp.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=2605

Posted by Skizzik @ TMSHelp from comedian Maria Bamford:

==================================================

"It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society." Jiddu Krishnamurti

"Pain is inevitable; suffering is optional." Author Unknown

"Happy People Are Happy Putters." Frank Nobilo, Golf Analyst

"Be careful about reading health books. You may die of a misprint." Mark Twain and Balto

"The hot-dog is the noblest of dogs; it feeds the hand that bites it." Dr. Laurence Johnston Peter

"...the human emotional system was not designed to endure the mental rigors of a tennis match." Dr. Allen Fox

"All my friends in Los Angeles are the sensitive type. They all have like all the diseases like Chronic Fatigue, Epstien Barr, Fibromyalgia. Like all the diseases where the only symptoms seem to be you had a really crappy childhood and at the prospect of full time work ya feel kinda achy and tired."

Posted by Skizzik @ TMSHelp from comedian Maria Bamford

======================================================

"If it ends with "itis" or "algia" or "syndrome" and doctors can't figure out what causes it, then it might be TMS." Dave the Mod

=================================================

TMS PRACTITIONERS:

John Sarno, MD
400 E 34th St, New York, NY 10016
(212) 263-6035

Dr. Sarno is now retired, if you call this number you will be referred to his associate Dr. Rashbaum.

"...there are so many things little and big that are tms, I wouldn't have time to write about all of them": Told to icelikeaninja by Dr. Sarno

Here's the TMS practitioners list from the TMS Help Forum:
http://www.tmshelp.com/links.htm

Here's a list of TMS practitioners from the TMS Wiki:
http://tmswiki.org/ppd/Find_a_TMS_Doctor_or_Therapist

Edited by - tennis tom on 09/05/2014 11:52:01
Go to Top of Page

Dave

USA
1864 Posts

Posted - 09/08/2014 :  08:59:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Once I read that when you're in pain...

Maybe it's time to stop reading. It seems to be doing you more harm than good.
quote:
I cannot seem to change my focus from my pain...

This must be your first goal.
quote:
...because I stupidly did some push-ups.

Again, you are making the assumption that the pain is due to push-ups. As long as you continue to believe the pain is caused by physical activity, you are not treating that pain as TMS.
quote:
But I read one day in a book about rhe science behind hapiness that crying is bad for you, and it might let you sick.

Again, you read something in a book that is completely ridiculous. I don't know what book you are talking about, but if it was me, I would burn it.

You must be in touch with your emotions. It is the entire reason why TMS symptoms appear. You need to accept how you feel even if you don't like feeling that way. You must accept the sources of inner rage even if they reveal things about yourself that you would rather not face. If you feel something that makes you cry, then cry! If you feel something that makes you angry, then scream! Whatever it is, try to stay with that feeling as long as you can. Let it lead your mind into new depths that might reveal some hidden emotions that you are not allowing yourself to face up to.

Again, my advice to you is to re-read the section of The Mindbody Connection that talks about conditioning, and the part that details the treatment suggestions. Put all the other books down. Stop searching the Internet. Stop reading and start recovering.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
TMSHelp Forum © TMSHelp.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000