TMSHelp Forum
TMSHelp Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Resources | Links | Policy
Username:
Password:

Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 TMSHelp
 TMSHelp General Forum
 DELETED
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

andy64tms

USA
589 Posts

Posted - 10/09/2014 :  20:03:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
DELETED

Edited by - andy64tms on 12/20/2014 15:44:57

mala

Hong Kong
774 Posts

Posted - 10/09/2014 :  20:38:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Andy, just came to the forum after a break. I've beeen away from all the stuff on the forum for a while to heal from my surgery & I have to agree it got very toxic here & was surprised how much what was going on here affected me both emotionally & physically.

quote:
Dr Sarno’s work should stand on its own merit by attraction and not by the support of nasty threads that are totally unlike his genre. But this is just my opinion, who cares what I think?

I care what u think. I have always looked forward to your posts, your opinions & especially the kindness you & Sheila have shown to me. So yes it matters to me what you think!

Sorry that my threads would have caused such a reaction & pain but am pleased that you were able to make it go away. That itself is no small victory.

I hope that your sister in law is well & on the road to a complete recovery!

Mala

"It is more important to know what sort of person has a disease than to know
what sort of disease a person has." ~ Hippocrates (460-377 B.C.)

Mala Singh Barber on Facebook
Go to Top of Page

tennis tom

USA
4746 Posts

Posted - 10/09/2014 :  22:14:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Andy I'm not going to read your post over again and waste any brain cells on it. Ace1 gave a well thought out reply to the OP. The OP called it "IGNORANT and ARROGANT"! I defended ACE1's view that cancer can be a TMS/psychosomatic auto-immune manifestation as does every TMS author and Dr. Sarno himself in many citations, which I'm not going to take any of my time to look up. The OP then called my carefully thought out reply "DRIVEL". That's the timeline. If you don't like it here you can go over to the TMS Wiki--do you know there is another TMS board? But maybe your post was satire? I'm not going to bother reading it again--or maybe you've had a couple of martini's.

Cheers
Go to Top of Page

Darko

Australia
387 Posts

Posted - 10/09/2014 :  23:52:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Andy,

Personally I think it would be wise to take a good look at why those posts got to you. It's true that at the time they may be an energy or concentration drain, but it's not wise to let things like this get to oneself. At the end of the day they are words on a screen.......the problem is "over there", when you react to it you make it your problem.

People will be the way they are and we have zero control over them, once we get that, we become allowing.....then we become immune. Personally I haven't given any of those posts a single thought since they ended.......that would be a total waste of my energy.

My belief is it's always better to become immune to TMS by becoming comfortable with the triggers as opposed to processing it afterwards.

I'll put it another way......The forum didn't attack you....YOU ALLOWED it to get to you. When you take responsibility then the power lies with you

Great lesson to be had here.....

D

Edited by - Darko on 10/09/2014 23:58:45
Go to Top of Page

tennis tom

USA
4746 Posts

Posted - 10/10/2014 :  05:30:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Andy, I'm not here to make friends--or enemies--or to get "cured". I'm here because I'm interested in TMS. If you want to be friends give me a call next time you're passing through Norcal and we can get together for some tea, as I have with many who've contacted me from here and we can chat. Do you really expect me to remember that you don't drink?; there are thousands who have posted here.

I don't know how you expect to be "friends" when you single me out and Ace1, starting a thread saying how we attacked you by discussing TMS as cancer--that doesn't sound too friendly to me. I don't come to message boards to find virtual "friends". You completely ignore the OP's "toxic" rhetoric in reply to intelligent TMS responses.

In mine and other TMS experts opinion, CANCER is an auto-immune response to an un-happy life. Don't attack me, I'm only the messenger of what's in the BOOKS. I've seen it with my own eyes and I believe it. This scares the be-Jesus out of people and they run like hell from facing that dark fact. Sorry Dorothy, TMS is NOT just about neck and back aches anymore. Knowing this no longer scares me, it motivates me to lead my life in a positive fashion, taking care of me first.

If I ever get cancer I will explore complementary methods of treatment as espoused by Dr. Bernie Siegel--as well as allopathic treatment, I've recommended that here many times. I will not view it as something that attacked me from outside my body by drinking water from a plastic bottle and other such nonsense, but something emanating from within. I think we all have cancers dormant within us that we fight off all the time until the **** hits the fan and our life wants to deliver to us a big message. If I'm not happy my loved ones will not be happy. Like Shakespeare and many others said in similar fashion, "To thine own self be true".

==================================================

TAKE THE HOLMES-RAHE STRESS TEST
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Holmes_and_Rahe_stress_scale

Some of my favorite excerpts from _THE DIVIDED MIND_ :
http://www.tmshelp.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=2605

==================================================

"It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society." Jiddu Krishnamurti

"Pain is inevitable; suffering is optional." Author Unknown

"Happy People Are Happy Putters." Frank Nobilo, Golf Analyst

"Be careful about reading health books. You may die of a misprint." Mark Twain and Balto

"The hot-dog is the noblest of dogs; it feeds the hand that bites it." Dr. Laurence Johnston Peter

"...the human emotional system was not designed to endure the mental rigors of a tennis match." Dr. Allen Fox

"All my friends in Los Angeles are the sensitive type. They all have like all the diseases like Chronic Fatigue, Epstien Barr, Fibromyalgia. Like all the diseases where the only symptoms seem to be you had a really crappy childhood and at the prospect of full time work ya feel kinda achy and tired."

Posted by Skizzik @ TMSHelp from comedian Maria Bamford

======================================================

"If it ends with "itis" or "algia" or "syndrome" and doctors can't figure out what causes it, then it might be TMS." Dave the Mod

=================================================

TMS PRACTITIONERS:

John Sarno, MD
400 E 34th St, New York, NY 10016
(212) 263-6035

Dr. Sarno is now retired, if you call this number you will be referred to his associate Dr. Rashbaum.

"...there are so many things little and big that are tms, I wouldn't have time to write about all of them": Told to icelikeaninja by Dr. Sarno

Here's the TMS practitioners list from the TMS Help Forum:
http://www.tmshelp.com/links.htm

Here's a list of TMS practitioners from the TMS Wiki:
http://tmswiki.org/ppd/Find_a_TMS_Doctor_or_Therapist

Edited by - tennis tom on 10/10/2014 05:54:44
Go to Top of Page

tennis tom

USA
4746 Posts

Posted - 10/11/2014 :  08:45:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
No worries Andy, I don't take anything said at message boards to seriously or to heart. Apology accepted. I'm not far from downtown MV, give me a call when your up here, pm me for my phone. Do you surf at Crissy and San Quentin? Gotta' run, morning practice.

Cheers,
tt

Edited by - tennis tom on 10/12/2014 03:31:23
Go to Top of Page

tennis tom

USA
4746 Posts

Posted - 10/14/2014 :  06:43:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by alexis

...If a person doesn't see benefits after a few months they likely either need professional psychiatric help or to explore a different medical theory.

http://www.tmswiki.org/ppd/Intensive_Short_Term_Dynamic_Psychotherapy

Intensive Short Term Dynamic Psychotherapy

Short-Term Dynamic Psychotherapy (ISTDP) is a form of short-term psychotherapy developed through empirical, video-recorded research by Habib Davanloo, MD. It is of particular interest to TMS/PPD practitioners because it is recommended by Dr. Arlene Feinblatt, about whom Dr. Sarno wrote, "In particular I am grateful to Arlene Feinblatt, the chief psychologist of our group, for her contribution to the understanding of the psychological basis for TMS."

Dr. Feinblatt has written the following short introduction to ISTDP for the wiki:

Practitioner Arlene Feinblatt
Intensive Short Term Dynamic Psychotherapy
by Dr. Arlene Feinblatt, Ph.D.

ISTDP is a technique based on psychoanalytic theory. A major difference regarding this technique is the handling of resistance. With psychoanalytic work a passive neutrality and indirect focus including free association and dream interpretation are utilized. The hallmark of ISTDP is the unlocking of the unconscious and maintenance of the therapeutic alliance through focus on resistence and defenses as well as undoing of the idea of therapist as omnipotent.

Training in ISTDP involves videotaping of both therapist and patient during sessions. Evaluation of the patient is performed in an open-ended intake - that is, the patient is told to be prepared for a two hour, three hour or even longer session. This enables the therapist to examine how the patient tolerates the process.

The major efforts of the therapist are to help the patient clarify their triangle of feelings. This includes their impulses or feelings, their anxiety and their defenses. A second triangle with which ISTDP therapists work involves using the feelings generated in the session to connect to significant people in the patient's past, current conflicts with people, and their reaction to the therapist or transference. The ego adaptive capacity of the patient determines the rapidity with uncovering can be done.

Working with ISTDP takes a great deal of training. Uncovering of defenses is sensitive work. Once an unconscious therapeutic alliance is established, then, and only then, can interpretations be made. To make such interpretations earlier is to encourage intellectual rumination. I would encourage anyone interested in learning this technique to read the books published by Dr. Habib Davanloo.

Books Recommended by Dr. Feinblatt:

Davanloo, Habib. Basic Principles and Techniques in Short-term Dynamic Psychotherapy. Jason Aronson Publishing. 1978
Davanloo, Habib. Short-term Dynamic Psychotherapy. Jason Aronson Publishing. 1980
About Dr. Feinblatt:

Dr. Arlene Feinblatt was the first psychotherapist to work with Dr. John Sarno, and she played a pivotal role in developing his TMS treatment protocol. In addition to working with Dr. Sarno for over 30 years, Feinblatt has trained several leading TMS/PPD psychologists. She also served as a Supervisor at the Clinical Health Psychology at NYU School of Medicine and was a member of the Faculty of the New York Center for Short-Term Dynamic Psychotherapy. In addition to these roles, Dr. Feinblatt has been a Clinical Assistant Professor at New York University School of Medicine since 1993.

The underlying theory of the ISTDP approach is quite similar to that of the PPD approach. The fundamental understanding of ISTDP is that when individuals experience emotional disturbances or trauma the event may result in wide array of emotions that the individual may not be able to adequately handle. This results in these unwanted emotions becoming repressed and avoided. Davanloo discovered that through time, certain events may rekindle these repressed emotions resulting in anxiety and defenses. The exacerbation of this anxiety and repressed emotions can create a variety of physical symptoms such as gastrointestinal problems, skin disorders, and chronic pain.

Using the ISTDP approach in therapy first requires the therapist to explain the psychological process to the patient followed by working with the patient to overcome the process. The therapist should begin to examine the patient as soon as they enter the office and attempt to notice any signs of repressed emotions such as tense muscles or hand clinching. During the interview the therapist should point out noticeable ways the patient represses their emotions.

The goal of the approach is to have the patient realize that they are repressing emotions, so they can stop the process and experience their feelings. When this happens anxiety and physical symptoms drop suddenly. This also allows the therapist and patient an opportunity to begin to work through the once repressed feelings and emotions. In some cases just one breakthrough is needed to bring about major symptom improvement, however in most instances several of these events are needed before the symptoms recede. [Source]

According to the Washington School of Psychiatry:

“Intensive Short Term Dynamic Psychotherapy is designed to achieve long term structural character change in briefer periods than with traditional psychodynamic therapy. Based on psychodynamic theory, it uses active techniques designed to focus, clarify, and intensify the therapeutic process. This model of treatment was first developed by Habib Davanloo. Davanloo recognized that rapid character change could take place through helping the patient relinquish defenses against emotional experience. He accomplished this through a method of handling resistance and transference which mobilizes the patient's unconscious therapeutic alliance. As a result, the patient reveals the core emotions and conflicts which have been responsible for character problems. This model of treatment has shown excellent results with a broad range of patients in numerous psychotherapy studies over the past 35 years.”

According to Health Care Economics:

“The brief dynamic psychotherapy that Abbass and his team have found can both pack a clinical punch and save money is called intensive short-term dynamic psychotherapy. It was founded some 20 years ago by Habib Davanloo, M.D., a professor emeritus at McGill University in Montreal. It helps a person address, experience, and deal with blocked emotions and unconscious processes that lead to a wide range of symptom and character problems. Currently there are training programs for it in Halifax, Montreal, Toronto, Vancouver, California, and New York.”

Allan Abbass, MD, one of the leading researchers of ISTDP, introduces ISTDP in the following video:

ISTDP Resources

The Center for Emotions and Health
The Southern California Society for ISTDP
German Centre for STDP
Dutch Association for STDP
Lifespan Learning Institute
Swiss Association for Intensive Short-Term Dynamic Psychotherapy
DISCLAIMER: The TMS Wiki is for informational and support purposes only and does not provide medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment recommendations. See Full Disclaimer.

Edited by - tennis tom on 10/14/2014 06:48:38
Go to Top of Page

Dave

USA
1864 Posts

Posted - 10/14/2014 :  11:30:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by alexis

...There's a reason Sarno earned against anything like a "support group"...

Not sure what you mean. Group meetings were a required part of Dr. Sarno's recovery program. He urged patients to continue to attend group meetings if symptoms persist, as a means to reinforce the TMS diagnosis and treatment.
Go to Top of Page

tennis tom

USA
4746 Posts

Posted - 10/14/2014 :  11:55:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes Dave, if anything TMS'ers need all the support they can get! They are battling not only against their sub-c's that are attempting to protect them, their spouses, friends, almost the entire medical-industrial complex, the shelves of Walgreen's, all-night infomercials for witch's brews, snake-oyls, copper socks, and the myriad of other quackerys pain sufferers are bombarded with.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
TMSHelp Forum © TMSHelp.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000