TMSHelp Forum
TMSHelp Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Resources | Links | Policy
Username:
Password:

Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 TMSHelp
 TMSHelp General Forum
 This Acid Reflux thing has me stumped:
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

avik

128 Posts

Posted - 10/13/2014 :  13:12:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I know DEFINITIVELY that my recent bout with extreme reflux (the pain was so bad two weeks ago i checked into an ER)...IS psychosomatic and created by stress.
Reason being, I have been under an enormous amount of stress of late and I have an extremely healthy diet.

So, I went to go get an endoscopy done and there is apparently some significant amount of inflammation and damage to my esophagus from the reflux. Further, I tested positive for H. Pylori.

Now Im on all sorts of meds and the pain in my chest has become a constant.

My question: arent I feeding into the whole psychosomatic/keeping my mind on the pain by taking all of these meds?
The stress actually caused physical harm that now needs to heal...how am I supposed to deal with that psychologically? I cant just ignore it...or can I?

Darko

Australia
387 Posts

Posted - 10/13/2014 :  13:51:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Avik,
I have read that acid reflux can also be caused by lack of salt in the diet. Your body needs salt to produce the acid in your gut. When it's not acidic enough you get the reflux. Research it, may be a better way to fix the issue that taking meds which just mask the problem.

If you have to intervene and do something about it....then it might as well be the better thing right?

D

Edited by - Darko on 10/13/2014 14:00:41
Go to Top of Page

avik

128 Posts

Posted - 10/13/2014 :  14:53:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Darko-thanks for your reply.

Ironically this whole "low acid vs. too much acid" thing is whats been bothering me as I dont really want to be taking these PPis That said, I was told to drink some apple cider vinegar prior to a meal or when there is pain and that seems to make it worse, which leads me to believe I have too much acid...

Whatever it is, this is surely doing a great job at diverting my attention from repressed anger or emotions!
Go to Top of Page

tennis tom

USA
4746 Posts

Posted - 10/13/2014 :  15:39:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If it's TMS it's NOT about nutrition.

==================================================

TAKE THE HOLMES-RAHE STRESS TEST
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Holmes_and_Rahe_stress_scale

Some of my favorite excerpts from _THE DIVIDED MIND_ :
http://www.tmshelp.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=2605

Posted by Skizzik @ TMSHelp from comedian Maria Bamford:

"It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society." Jiddu Krishnamurti

"Pain is inevitable; suffering is optional." Author Unknown

"Happy People Are Happy Putters." Frank Nobilo, Golf Analyst

"Be careful about reading health books. You may die of a misprint." Mark Twain and Balto

"The hot-dog is the noblest of dogs; it feeds the hand that bites it." Dr. Laurence Johnston Peter

"...the human emotional system was not designed to endure the mental rigors of a tennis match." Dr. Allen Fox

"All my friends in Los Angeles are the sensitive type. They all have like all the diseases like Chronic Fatigue, Epstien Barr, Fibromyalgia. Like all the diseases where the only symptoms seem to be you had a really crappy childhood and at the prospect of full time work ya feel kinda achy and tired."

Posted by Skizzik @ TMSHelp from comedian Maria Bamford

======================================================

"If it ends with "itis" or "algia" or "syndrome" and doctors can't figure out what causes it, then it might be TMS." Dave the Mod

=================================================

TMS PRACTITIONERS:

John Sarno, MD
400 E 34th St, New York, NY 10016
(212) 263-6035

Dr. Sarno is now retired, if you call this number you will be referred to his associate Dr. Rashbaum.

"...there are so many things little and big that are tms, I wouldn't have time to write about all of them": Told to icelikeaninja by Dr. Sarno

Here's the TMS practitioners list from the TMS Help Forum:
http://www.tmshelp.com/links.htm

Here's a list of TMS practitioners from the TMS Wiki:
http://tmswiki.org/ppd/Find_a_TMS_Doctor_or_Therapist

Go to Top of Page

Peregrinus

250 Posts

Posted - 10/13/2014 :  15:58:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Avik:
You can get some amazingly bad advice on this forum about Reflux. Despite what Sarno may have said at one time, it can cause serious and life ending damage. If the acid blockers work and have no serious side effects stay with them. Yes stress may be the primal cause for Reflux (no one really knows) and using TMS practices to reduce stress may reduce or eliminate the symptoms but don't make any foolish choices.
I don't understand the point in taking (acidic) vinegar!? However, I strongly recommend avoiding carbs particularly at the evening meal. A lot of people have trouble digesting carbs (we're not cows) and this leads to delayed stomach emptying and GERD.
Warning signs that something is seriously wrong include spitting up white phlegm or a dry cough.

Edited by - Peregrinus on 10/13/2014 16:21:11
Go to Top of Page

tennis tom

USA
4746 Posts

Posted - 10/13/2014 :  17:41:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
See a TMS doc:

http://www.tmshelp.com/links.htm

http://www.tmswiki.org/ppd/Find_a_TMS_Doctor_or_Therapist

TAKE THE HOLMES-RAHE STRESS TEST

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Holmes_and_Rahe_stress_scale

"It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society." Jiddu Krishnamurti

"Pain is inevitable; suffering is optional." Author Unknown

"Happy People Are Happy Putters." Frank Nobilo, Golf Analyst

"Be careful about reading health books. You may die of a misprint." Mark Twain and Balto

"The hot-dog is the noblest of dogs; it feeds the hand that bites it." Dr. Laurence Johnston Peter

"...the human emotional system was not designed to endure the mental rigors of a tennis match." Dr. Allen Fox

"All my friends in Los Angeles are the sensitive type. They all have like all the diseases like Chronic Fatigue, Epstien Barr, Fibromyalgia. Like all the diseases where the only symptoms seem to be you had a really crappy childhood and at the prospect of full time work ya feel kinda achy and tired."

Posted by Skizzik @ TMSHelp from comedian Maria Bamford

======================================================

"If it ends with "itis" or "algia" or "syndrome" and doctors can't figure out what causes it, then it might be TMS." Dave the Mod

=================================================

Edited by - tennis tom on 10/14/2014 06:58:12
Go to Top of Page

Dave

USA
1864 Posts

Posted - 10/14/2014 :  11:27:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by avik
My question: arent I feeding into the whole psychosomatic/keeping my mind on the pain by taking all of these meds?

Treating the symptoms is not counter to TMS treatment provided you still have the proper mindset.

Dr. Sarno prescribed painkillers to his patients experiencing back pain. There is no reason to suffer.

Just because TMS symptoms are psychogenic does not mean they cannot cause real problems that need to be treated medically. If you have damage caused by excess stomach acid production, it must be treated, regardless of whether the cause of the excess acid is TMS. There is also no harm in taking a daily dose of proton pump inhibitor such as Prilosec if it helps to allay the symptoms. Again, suffering is not a necessary part of TMS recovery.
Go to Top of Page

tennis tom

USA
4746 Posts

Posted - 10/14/2014 :  11:59:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Avik, you may want to do a search here for my archived posts with "endoscopy", "douodenal ulcer" and "Prilosec" as key words and my user name.
Go to Top of Page

avik

128 Posts

Posted - 10/15/2014 :  09:33:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks to all for your replies.

The irony here is I feel like these PPis and acid reducers are making me feel worse.I AM CONSUMED NOW WITH FIGHTING ACID.

I remember when I had this same issue a couple of years back and when I just "decided" to stop thinking about it and letting it bother me, its just all went away.

I want to get off these pills b/c I feel they are making things worse but I cant get what this dr said out of my head, that my esophagus has been burnt and i have bad inflammation.
Go to Top of Page

Dave

USA
1864 Posts

Posted - 10/15/2014 :  10:56:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by avik
I want to get off these pills b/c I feel they are making things worse...

Why do you think that? Are you sure it is not just in your mind?

If the endoscopy reveals "significant amount of inflammation and damage" then I strongly suggest you follow the instructions of your gastroenterologist.
Go to Top of Page

avik

128 Posts

Posted - 10/15/2014 :  16:08:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dave-

I say that because things have "magically" taken a turn for the worse once the doctor told me something was actually wrong. Literally, day of.

Also, I dont trust doctors anymore.
Ive had some very serious TMS symptoms in the past that docs got ALL WRONG.
Most docs love giving out meds.

And since so many people talk about not havingenough acid as opposed to what most drs say is too little acid, I dont know who to believe.

Again, all of this thinking and analyzing is doing a fantastic job of diverting my attention from other issues.
Go to Top of Page

Darko

Australia
387 Posts

Posted - 10/15/2014 :  17:34:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Avik, I think you may be jumping the gun. It's not wise to ignore symptoms particularly if they can cause damage and issues.

As someone who has been through this scenario my advice to you is to treat it and then explore IF it is TMS.......it may well be in your case but not everything is TMS and treating it as such can be hazardous.

It's only a distraction if you allow to become one. Taking pills doesn't mean you get to ignore all the emotional things going on in your life. Keep doing the work and eventually you'll figure out if it's TMS or not, it may take a long time, but be ok with that. You may well have a TMS symptom, but patience will expose the lie in my experience.

Then it's easy to brush aside.

D

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
TMSHelp Forum © TMSHelp.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000