TMSHelp Forum
TMSHelp Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Resources | Links | Policy
Username:
Password:

Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 TMSHelp
 TMSHelp General Forum
 I'm chasing my TMS around and around
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page  
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 5

miehnesor

USA
430 Posts

Posted - 11/29/2014 :  21:02:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by marsha

All well and good Dave.
What happens when pain is severe and never stops.?
Even though you know it is benign and that you are physically well the severity of the pain interferes with every move you make.
Marsha

The way out of this is what Alix is talking about. I've had to follow the same approach. Think of the symptom as a sign that you need to feel, to regress into the feelings of a little child. It's hard to do this as an adult and even harder when you are older but it is not impossible. Starting the process of inner child work will get you there. I don't believe that you have
to live forever with this level of pain. Take advantage of any time where the pain is lessened to do the work and don't give up. You can get better.
Go to Top of Page

Mac1986

USA
17 Posts

Posted - 11/30/2014 :  10:08:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This is something I am trying to incorporate into pursuit of healing. I am having a very difficult time re experiencing emotions on a " visceral" level. I am able to put myself back in the situation that caused the emotion but as I try to feel the emotion it feels forced. Any tips on how I can be more successful in sitting with my emotions? Does it just take practice and repetition? Thanks
Go to Top of Page

alix

USA
434 Posts

Posted - 11/30/2014 :  12:14:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mac1986, I started with really strong emotions. The kind of situation where your life was at risk. Things like a car accident or other traumatic events.
Go to Top of Page

miehnesor

USA
430 Posts

Posted - 11/30/2014 :  23:25:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mac1986

This is something I am trying to incorporate into pursuit of healing. I am having a very difficult time re experiencing emotions on a " visceral" level. I am able to put myself back in the situation that caused the emotion but as I try to feel the emotion it feels forced. Any tips on how I can be more successful in sitting with my emotions? Does it just take practice and repetition? Thanks

Mac- This is where inner child work is a real help. I recommend John Bradshaw's work. It is really powerful.

In general I had to tap into feelings where I had no conscious memory so this was a long process; however, my first significant felt repressed feeling was from a conscious memory of a traumatic event where I never had the corresponding emotion. I needed the help of another person to validate and provide non shaming support for the feeling to come. When it exploded into consciousness- heavy sadness- my symptom disappeared instantly like in Helen's case in the MBP. Unfortunately the next day all the symptoms came roaring back so I had much more work to do to get better but the example showed exactly why Bradshaw's work is so useful.

Perhaps this is somewhat different from what Alix does to sit with the emotions I don't know.
Go to Top of Page

Jason

USA
1 Posts

Posted - 01/09/2015 :  14:43:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I usually read instead of posting, but just wanted to say I can relate to a lot of the pelvic pain sufferers here as I've been struggling with all sorts of rectal pains shortly after a fall on my tailbone last summer. Exams and tests showed nothing, of course. And I've had a lot of the TMS equivalents in the past and fit the profile really well. I did go up to 2 weeks pain free at a time this past fall after accepting TMS, but I've flared up really bad over the last 2-3 weeks, so unfortunately its been nonstop again. So I just wanted to say reading this forum has been very helpful.

Also I have to thank alix (who I've spoken with privately) for reassuring me on the pudendal nerve stuff, which has been a big fear of mine.
Go to Top of Page

becreck

5 Posts

Posted - 07/29/2015 :  04:12:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Carolyn,

Very taken by your story. I have read a few of your posts. I am a 20 year TMS sufferer. Started with back pain which resolved after much TMS work. Than ten years later, I developed the TMS equivalent of IC/vulvodynia after a "sexual encounter" (lets just leave it at that) exactly ten years later which I dealt with for about 4 years before it resolved.

Now almost ten years later after a D&C, all those symptoms came rushing back. The rub is that I actually contracted enterococcus faecalis but it was not cultured until a month after the procedure.

I have been on now three courses of antibiotics and this bugger (bacteria) is still trying to hang around. But the rub, is that I truly believe that I have given TMS permission to rear it's ugly head and now have the worst vulvo and vaginal pain than I have ever experienced. Even some of the very old back pain wants to emerge, but I am not having that!!

I have had to stay out of work, I am a drug rep and my job requires me to drive daily anywhere from 100-225 miles and that is just impossible due to the pain.

I am having a very difficult time trying to get past what is true pathology vs the TMS pain. TMS is very smart and clever and uses whatever it can to grab hold and hold tightly. I just wish I could go to a top of a mountain and scream my lungs out!

I can relate to your issue with your children. It was discovered by a TMS physician (was once in my area but now he has gone back to residency for psychiatry) that my back pain developed over my subconscious belief that I was a detached bad mother and my subconscious was trying to protect me from that pain.

I have no clue what is going on with the pelvic stuff, but I know I fit perfectly into all the personality characteristics described in Sarno's books.

I have not had much experience with journaling, as I mostly took the self talk path, but I am now exploring that. Any good advice on how to proceed. Any on-line links?

My very best to you and hope that by now your TMS has moved away.

Go to Top of Page

summabody

Canada
27 Posts

Posted - 07/31/2015 :  19:23:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
becreck, you might find the Structured Educational Program helpful to follow, it gives you both information / articles and exercises to do daily (journaling)

http://www.tmswiki.org/ppd/Structured_Educational_Program
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 5 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
TMSHelp Forum © TMSHelp.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000