TMSHelp Forum
TMSHelp Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Resources | Links | Policy
Username:
Password:

Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 TMSHelp
 TMSHelp General Forum
 back pain only while sleeping - TMS?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

meluveitie

23 Posts

Posted - 05/16/2015 :  11:01:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey guys, so trying to figure out of this is TMS. About 2 years ago, I moved to a new city for a rigorous grad program and leaving behind friends. After the change, pretty much immediately started having back pain only while I slept (usually after a few hours it would just get stiff and sore). After several months it got to the point where I'd have to get up and move around it was so bad. I did research and it pointed to autoimmune disorders causing the pain only at night after being immobile for a few hours. I got checked out by a rheumatologist but couldn't find anything but a slightly elevated ANA which is apparently common. I tried out several beds to no avail, and found I can actually sleep on my couch with no pain at all, but only my couch - never a bed! It's very weird. I was wondering if anyone has ever heard of something like this, if this could be a TMS equivalent if it's only at night (and seemingly only on a bed?) Would appreciate anyone's feedback!

Edited by - meluveitie on 05/18/2015 14:10:09

altherunner

Canada
511 Posts

Posted - 05/18/2015 :  11:39:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I wonder if moving to a new city might be causing additional stress internally and pain?
Go to Top of Page

tennis tom

USA
4746 Posts

Posted - 05/18/2015 :  19:13:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by meluveitie

... After the change, pretty much immediately started having back pain only while I slept (usually after a few hours it would just get stiff and sore).

...I did research and it pointed to autoimmune disorders causing the pain only at night after being immobile for a few hours.

...I got checked out by a rheumatologist but couldn't find anything but a slightly elevated ANA which is apparently common.

...It's very weird. I was wondering if anyone has ever heard of something like this, if this could be a TMS equivalent...

An "autoimmune disorder" would be about the last thing on my list to suspect for the back-pain that you described--but I'm only a tennis player so what do I know? Where did you find this and what is the condition called? The key element in your post is that a rheumy couldn't find anything wrong! This should be a massive relief for you--is it? What is ANA?

From the Rahe-Holmes Stress Scale:

*Change in residence 20

*Change in schools 20

*Change in sleeping habits 16

"...there are so many things little and big that are tms, I wouldn't have time to write about all of them": Told to icelikeaninja by Dr. Sarno

==================================================

TAKE THE HOLMES-RAHE STRESS TEST
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Holmes_and_Rahe_stress_scale

Some of my favorite excerpts from _THE DIVIDED MIND_ :
http://www.tmshelp.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=2605

==================================================

"It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society." Jiddu Krishnamurti

"Pain is inevitable; suffering is optional." Author Unknown

“You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation” – Plato

"Happy People Are Happy Putters." Frank Nobilo, Golf Analyst

"Be careful about reading health books. You may die of a misprint." Mark Twain and Balto

"The hot-dog is the noblest of dogs; it feeds the hand that bites it." Dr. Laurence Johnston Peter

"...the human emotional system was not designed to endure the mental rigors of a tennis match." Dr. Allen Fox

"Where ignorance is bliss, 'tis folly to be wise" - Thomas Gray

"All my friends in Los Angeles are the sensitive type. They all have like all the diseases like Chronic Fatigue, Epstien Barr, Fibromyalgia. Like all the diseases where the only symptoms seem to be you had a really crappy childhood and at the prospect of full time work ya feel kinda achy and tired."

Posted by Skizzik @ TMSHelp from comedian Maria Bamford

======================================================

"If it ends with "itis" or "algia" or "syndrome" and doctors can't figure out what causes it, then it might be TMS." Dave the Mod

=================================================

TMS PRACTITIONERS:

John Sarno, MD
400 E 34th St, New York, NY 10016
(212) 263-6035

Dr. Sarno is now retired, if you call this number you will be referred to his associate Dr. Rashbaum.

"...there are so many things little and big that are tms, I wouldn't have time to write about all of them": Told to icelikeaninja by Dr. Sarno

Here's the TMS practitioners list from the TMS Help Forum:
http://www.tmshelp.com/links.htm

Here's a list of TMS practitioners from the TMS Wiki:
http://tmswiki.org/ppd/Find_a_TMS_Doctor_or_Therapist

Edited by - tennis tom on 05/18/2015 19:29:31
Go to Top of Page

summabody

Canada
27 Posts

Posted - 05/28/2015 :  16:22:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I used to experience EXCRUCIATING back pain - in my dreams - in high school. A few times it manifested in real life, I remember being carried out of a friend's home once, but mostly in my sleep. It would be so sharp it would wake me up and disappear upon waking.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
TMSHelp Forum © TMSHelp.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000