TMSHelp Forum
TMSHelp Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Resources | Links | Policy
Username:
Password:

Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 TMSHelp
 TMSHelp General Forum
 Advice please
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

whitebeach

Australia
3 Posts

Posted - 10/03/2015 :  01:05:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have been reading Dr Sarno's books for a month now and am 99% sure I have TMS. Multiple pain sites etc. One question that bothers me is that in his books he gives examples of people having pain flare ups as a result of various emotional things that he is able to point his finger at and say that is what caused the pain. E.g problem with boss, argument with wife etc.My back pain tends to get worse after activity. I have been trying to search for the repressed anger and or an incident that might be causing it but not having any luck. I am happily married, no boss to annoy me!

fredamir

87 Posts

Posted - 10/03/2015 :  15:00:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
G'day mate,

I have a good friend and a reader there, Graham Tuffee.

Keep in mind the following about TMS:

1. You do not always have to know the source to eliminate your pain. Just know that sometimes you may have a flare up.

2. In your case it might simply be a case of conditioned response triggered by certain positions and movements.

You may also consider the following answer from the FAQ section of Rapid Recovery from Back and Neck Pain:

"Q: So how do I know whether my back pain is due to an injury or is from tension?
A: If any of the following conditions exist, you probably have TMS:
1. The pain persists or recurs or both, despite rest and various treatments.
2. The pain has no clear cause or can be attributed only to a physical incident that happened a while back, such as lifting an object two weeks earlier.
3. The pain is attributed to a routine activity, such as driving, sitting too long, mowing the lawn, or playing golf.
4. The pain pattern matches TMS: You hurt or have more pain at night, first thing in the morning, or on weekends. The pain moves around from your back to your leg or your shoulder. You should also watch for pain that comes long after an activity or at the end of the workday.
5. The pain is sharp, not the dull muscle ache you get from too much work or exercise.
6. Numbness is intermittent. It gets better or worse and moves around.
7. There is no change in color or swelling in the “injured” area. Our bodies are made to respond immediately to a serious injury. Can you see an actual swelling or change in color in the injured area? If not, the pain could very well be TMS."

I would recommend avoid focusing on pain and why it is there. Focus on becoming active and living every day as normal as possible until you are pain-free.

Fred Amir
www.rapidrecovery.net
Go to Top of Page

tennis tom

USA
4746 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2015 :  08:51:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If you're not sure what's the source of your TMS, look at the Rahe-Holmes list of stressful events: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Holmes_and_Rahe_stress_scale

==================================================

TAKE THE HOLMES-RAHE STRESS TEST
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Holmes_and_Rahe_stress_scale

Some of my favorite excerpts from _THE DIVIDED MIND_ :
http://www.tmshelp.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=2605

==================================================

"It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society." Jiddu Krishnamurti

"Pain is inevitable; suffering is optional." Author Unknown

“You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation” – Plato

"Happy People Are Happy Putters." Frank Nobilo, Golf Analyst

"Be careful about reading health books. You may die of a misprint." Mark Twain and Balto

"The hot-dog is the noblest of dogs; it feeds the hand that bites it." Dr. Laurence Johnston Peter

"...the human emotional system was not designed to endure the mental rigors of a tennis match." Dr. Allen Fox

"Where ignorance is bliss, 'tis folly to be wise" - Thomas Gray

"All my friends in Los Angeles are the sensitive type. They all have like all the diseases like Chronic Fatigue, Epstien Barr, Fibromyalgia. Like all the diseases where the only symptoms seem to be you had a really crappy childhood and at the prospect of full time work ya feel kinda achy and tired."

Posted by Skizzik @ TMSHelp from comedian Maria Bamford

======================================================

"If it ends with "itis" or "algia" or "syndrome" and doctors can't figure out what causes it, then it might be TMS." Dave the Mod

=================================================

TMS PRACTITIONERS:

John Sarno, MD
400 E 34th St, New York, NY 10016
(212) 263-6035

Dr. Sarno is now retired, if you call this number you will be referred to his associate Dr. Rashbaum.

"...there are so many things little and big that are tms, I wouldn't have time to write about all of them": Told to icelikeaninja by Dr. Sarno

Here's the TMS practitioners list from the TMS Help Forum:
http://www.tmshelp.com/links.htm

Here's a list of TMS practitioners from the TMS Wiki:
http://tmswiki.org/ppd/Find_a_TMS_Doctor_or_Therapist

Go to Top of Page

gazelle

USA
8 Posts

Posted - 10/10/2015 :  05:42:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
OMG - Tennis Tom! the thousands of posts I read of yours and I have never read all the quotes at the end. they made my day. Part of my TMS therapy is lightening up and learning how to laugh again - reading those sure beats the cat videos
Go to Top of Page

tennis tom

USA
4746 Posts

Posted - 10/10/2015 :  09:34:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you Gazelle, it's good to have an occasional chuckle and a sense of humor to deal with the TMS gremlin.

Cheers,
tt/lsmft
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
TMSHelp Forum © TMSHelp.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000