TMSHelp Forum
TMSHelp Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Resources | Links | Policy
Username:
Password:

Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 TMSHelp
 TMSHelp General Forum
 Fatigue, drained, and stomach distress. Thoughts?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page  
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Switters

42 Posts

Posted - 12/05/2015 :  12:04:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Gary - thanks for your reply, and for the comforting words.

Andy - thank you. Yes I'm a worry wort. Classic over-caring co-dependent type; getting better. I work for myself as an artist, so I have too much time to think, and I'm a sensitive soul, (which helps my art, like your perfectionism!) Interesting about the 3 Ps.

I definitely dwell on the past; losses of love.

I'm sort of having a mid-life crisis I think! I'm having to face my choices. One in particular is I've feared marrying and having children. I'm great with kids, teach them sometimes - and I'm a loving, loyal partner. But with my chosen career and personality type the responsibility scares the hell out of me. So not having them ever makes me sad, and the idea of having them feels too daunting. I've been feeling very stuck about this, and it's affecting my love life.

Gary - Regarding oatmeal - even gluten free - it's been the only thing that HASN'T given me trouble. I have a bowl with bananas and cinnamon. If I stop eating it, I don't know what else to try for breakfast food. I normally eat eggs, toast, but I stopped eating them; from fear at this point.

I had a bowl of organic cornflakes with almond milk on Thanksgiving and it made me nauseous. Fruit alone is too light - I need more substantial breakfast food. If you have suggestions I'm all ears. This morning I tried some avocado on gluten free toast - normally fine - until today - stomach cramping.

At any rate - I've been hoping to put "less mental energy" and worry into these physical discomforts, but when they happen it makes me feel like something is physically wrong. But I hear your words and I'm clinging to them. Thanks.
Go to Top of Page

garystil

Australia
42 Posts

Posted - 12/05/2015 :  17:12:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Switters, this was my daily breakfast when I was struggling.

1. Whisk an egg.
2. Mash a banana.
3. Pour in some "milk" (rice milk, almond milk, etc)
3. Add a quantity of almond flour
4. Mix it all together.
5. Pan fry in olive oil until golden brown.

Add honey and cinnamon on top. Simple, sustaining, delicious and nutritious.

What a great bunch of guys you are. Tennis Tom, Andy64TMS to name just a few. I find it really humbling to see people that are willing to share their time to help others. May life be good to you. x

Go to Top of Page

andy64tms

USA
589 Posts

Posted - 12/07/2015 :  11:14:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Gary or Jackmat,

You are quite a hero yourself, taking TMS theory to the IBS forum. I see you have been more active there with 445 posts than this site only 20. I do not have IBS, in my drinking days I did have some rather unpleasant vomiting relating to hangovers, but I have no food intolerances, I can eat as much as I want and never put on weight. I am type A with a high metabolism.

This makes it hard living with my wife who has issues mainly relating to dairy. We are both very interested in what we eat and migrating to more plant based foods, we believe in good nutrition. We also believe TMS plays around in the IBS arena, she has had painful attacks on her gall bladder directly related to stress, either the mechanics or chemistry of the gall bladder are not working. She was very interested in your IBS post after a life time of allergies to food intolerances, thank you for posting.

Switters, you are an artist and understand graphics, study these images for a few minutes…
The fact is all of our internal organs are tied to one of my favorite topics “the autonomic nervous system”. Looking at these diagrams as TMSers, we can see the correlation between these organs and emotions.

http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=autonomic+nervous+system+images&qpvt=autonomic+nervous+system+images&qpvt=autonomic+nervous+system+images&FORM=IGRE

Switters, I am backing out from this thread for a while, you need alternative opinions, I see you doing well, good luck for now.

Andy
Past TMS Experience in 2000, with success.
Charlie Horse on neck for 20 years, is almost gone.
Books:
Healing Back Pain
Unlearn your Pain
The Great Pain Deception

Edited by - andy64tms on 12/07/2015 11:29:39
Go to Top of Page

garystil

Australia
42 Posts

Posted - 12/08/2015 :  15:04:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Andy, I'm presuming your wife has discovered and tried ACV (Apple Cider Vinegar)?
Go to Top of Page

andy64tms

USA
589 Posts

Posted - 12/09/2015 :  11:01:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Gary,

My wife “Sheila”, that’s really her name has tried and has heard of ACV, but did not have any outstanding improvements. She is highly allergic and seems to be susceptible to bio chemical imbalances, sinus conditions and environmental substances. Despite years of the conventional medical approach she has not been successful in resolving her IBS. I was rather hoping she would join your IBS forum, she was really impressed with your post, I think she qualifies. She has had many issues on and off, not just with IBS but also allergies.

Some of them could be tied to TMS emotional, and some of them definitely not.

Here are a few examples:

Gall bladder pain, when tied directly to an argument, emotional TMS
Dizzy spell when shunned by a close relative, emotional TMS
IBS intestinal symptoms lasting for days after an arguments, emotional TMS

On vacation, eating lobster and crab two days running, resulting in an allergic reaction to Iodine. She went pink, rushed to a liquor store demanding Benadryl and a glass of water.
Bee sting that went overboard, her hand went the size of a tennis ball, I have a photo!! Tom if you are reading this I can send you the photo..

And so it goes on, she warms to TMS principles, but does not like this forum too much, some people here think bee and insect stings are TMS!!

Andy
Books:
Healing Back Pain
Unlearn your Pain
The Great Pain Deception
Go to Top of Page

garystil

Australia
42 Posts

Posted - 12/10/2015 :  07:51:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Tough reading that Andy.

It looks like Sheila has a reasonable threshold though. She was able to eat one lot of lobster and crabs, but just couldn’t do the 2nd day. She may have been safe on the 4th day when totally eliminated from her system.

Great detective work to specifically identify which emotions are responsible for some of her issues!

Abstinence from gluten was essential in my own recovery. I had a severe case of fructose intolerance which improved markedly when I abstained from eating wheat. I know intolerance and sensitivities are two different things, but I’d urge her to try wheat abstinence for one month to see if it improves her chemical sensitivities and other problems. You may also find that foods that previously bothered her, no longer do, so throw in a steak or two to compensate for the absence of wheat :-).

Edited by - garystil on 12/10/2015 08:24:11
Go to Top of Page

garystil

Australia
42 Posts

Posted - 12/10/2015 :  08:19:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
As further encouragement for Sheila, here's a post from this site - http://fitnessreloaded.com/eating-gluten-free/ from Isabelle 7 months ago:

"I have suffered from seasonal allergies for many years, especially after moving to the Northwest. I went gluten free about 4 month ago because I was experiencing some other issues not related to allergies. Those symptoms completely disappeared a few weeks after going gluten free. (I had tonsiititis - something like that - which I've been plagued with for a long time. And other throat issues.) I had noticed for years that I'd feel badly after eating bread, pastas, etc. but never wanted to really address it. I, like you, enjoy those foods. Then I decided to try it and the end result has been fascinating, to say the least. Not eating gluten has honestly changed my life for the better. No more throat issues at all. You don't realize how annoying it is unless it's happening to you time and time again. No waking up with aches and pains. Lost 10 pounds without hardly trying. And one of the best outcomes is that I am not suffering from seasonal allergies nearly as much this year. In fact, I also added local raw honey in January to see if that could help. I've done two teaspoons a day since then and I do think there's benefit to that. But honestly, I feel going gluten free has had a huge impact on my health and I feel it has also helped with the allergies. It's May, one of my worse months for allergies. I have them so bad that I cannot go outside from March through June. Walking from the house to the car, from the car to the store, results in suffering all night and the next day. Even with antihistamines. It's a huge problem for me. I certainly would never dare to walk around town or at a park. And if I did, I would have to be highly medicated and I would still suffer. Well, we tested it yesterday. We walked around outside for hours - farmers market, shops, etc. and I did great! Not a single allergy. I know one thing. We have much more control over our health than we think. It's a matter of trial and error. When something works, who cares how it worked. I just go with it and when people give me that look like I'm nuts I really don't care. It works for me and I'm healthier for listening to my own body."

Go to Top of Page

Switters

42 Posts

Posted - 12/10/2015 :  09:05:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi All, update:

I had an ultrasound and an endoscopy.
I've been told I have gastritis (non-erosive). It's an inflammation of the stomach lining. (The doctor described it being like a sunburn; it hurts when you touch it, or in this case, put food in it...foods that irritate it.

She has prescribed a form of Prilosec, saying patients often feel much relief after using for a prescribed period...which I plan to take.

After reading up on it, gastritis can be caused by stress, or too many ibuprofen, OR a bacteria called H-pylori. Biopsies were taken to determine that, results due in a week.

Also, unexpectedly, the ultrasound found an "indeterminate" cyst on my kidney and they want me to do a CT scan to determine it. My doctors are not too concerned but feel I should follow up on it.

While Sarno mentions that IBS and gastro issues can be caused by TMS, I don't recall him mentioning gastritis by name.

I do feel relieved that I'm undertaking these tests, and feel confident that my doctors are on top of this. I don't feel that this is a TMS condition. I could be wrong, but I could not seem to "control" it with TMS awareness.

Thanks for your caring and being there for me Gary and Andy.

Go to Top of Page

andy64tms

USA
589 Posts

Posted - 12/10/2015 :  11:45:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Switters,

Thanks for the update. You seem to be well on the way to ruling out the physical as per Dr Sarno. Well done, not too many people post updates such as this. It shows your commitment and thoroughness. The brain has a hard time absorbing this “ruling”, you will surely have moments of doubt, especially if new pains arise.

It’s very hard to “control” TMS pain, I remember feeling that I could, as well as understanding it. When I realized that there really is no “controlling” and no “understanding”, I wrote this for fun.

http://www.tmshelp.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=7290&SearchTerms=silly

The word acceptance has been discussed lately. See Avik’s and Fred’s recent threads as they discuss acceptance of anxiety, pain and even stress.

Thanks Gary,
Sheila read your post with great interest, I told her she would do well to join an IBS forum, or even this for new ideas about her health and well being. She is rather occupied presently recovering from her second knee replacement.

Andy
Books:
Healing Back Pain
Unlearn your Pain
The Great Pain Deception

Edited by - andy64tms on 12/10/2015 11:47:59
Go to Top of Page

garystil

Australia
42 Posts

Posted - 12/11/2015 :  14:53:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Read your link. Good work Andy. You may have missed your calling :-).
I suspect and hope that Sheila's kneeds will diminish once she recovers from the knee op.

Switters, good luck and keep us posted on this thread.

Here's a link to my own recovery when I first joined the forum.
http://www.tmshelp.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=5510

Cheers,
Gary

Go to Top of Page

Switters

42 Posts

Posted - 12/19/2015 :  11:13:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi all - update:

Got biopsy results from my endoscopy: aside from gastritis, I am fine - I tested negative for the hpylori bacteria which I was concerned about, so that's good.

Meantime, I had a CT scan done to see about the kidney cyst discovered during the ultrasound I had for my stomach problems. Get this: results of the CT scan show no cancer - just a hard cyst. However! I had an allergic reaction to the dye they inject during the CT scan. It's the second time this has happened to me during a CT scan; the first time I / we thought I had a panic attack. This time, again, I felt nausea, my nose (weirdly) completely clogged up, I shivered for a half hour, and my eyelids swelled. Not fun! The radiologist claimed I was just anxious and that "the mind is very powerful." But I was like, "Bull****!"...My doctor thinks it's an official allergy. So that was fun.

Gastritis and TMS; it's a real inflammation of the stomach lining, making it hard to eat/digest. Mostly, my symptoms have continued, but not as bad since I've continued taking the Prilosec drug prescribed.

I noticed yesterday, however, that seeing the new Star Wars movie with friends (and then lunch afterward with them) that my symptoms weren't there. The positive distraction helped. I felt good all day. This caused me to wonder if TMS is the cause vs. Gastritis. Or did TMS (prolongued stress/sadness) cause the actual gastritis inflammation?

Yet the stomach pain / cramping was increased after a had a distressing argument with my father.

It comes and goes; sometimes certain foods are fine, other times the same foods cause pain. I'm re-introducing foods; some eggs, cheese.

I've GOT To exercise again. Been putting it off.
Thanks for reading and if you have any replies I'm open.

Go to Top of Page

andy64tms

USA
589 Posts

Posted - 12/20/2015 :  10:14:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Switters,

Well done on getting checked out. You seem to be very thorough and organized in your thinking. This will stand you in good stead, but as you are probably finding out TMS has no logic, it comes and goes at leisure. Did you read my fun link to the silly ways in which TMS works, as you say it comes and goes at will sometimes for good reasons, (as in your argument with your father), and other times for no apparent reason.

http://www.tmshelp.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=7290&SearchTerms=silly

My wife has had IBS symptoms such as yours on and off for 40 years. She has had a gamut of issues ranging from Crone’s disease to Ileitis, ending up several years ago with H pylori. We are both convinced that the real problem was TMS that came in and out with the tides of daily life.

Her H pylori was fixed with heavy duty antibiotics. I understand that many people have the bacteria without symptoms, but the discovery revealed this was the main cause of ulcers and not stress. A TMSer could argue that a weakened immune system did not take care of these bacteria. In any event you ruled this out and had no need to excessively worry.

CT scans use Iodine for image contrasting; I am surprised the radiologist and Dr did not point this out to you. You may have reacted to this substance. If so you need to avoid excessive shell food. My recent comment to Gary touched on this subject:

“On vacation, eating lobster and crab two days running, resulting in an allergic reaction to Iodine. She went pink, rushed to a liquor store demanding Benadryl and a glass of water.”

She now carries Benadryl at all times. She had severe restriction with her breathing and nasal function, as you say not fun, - not TMS.

You are at the stage to undertake the emotional reprogramming, The TMS Wiki has a good educational program and there is always journaling.

Good Luck

Andy
Books:
Healing Back Pain
Unlearn your Pain
The Great Pain Deception
Go to Top of Page

garystil

Australia
42 Posts

Posted - 12/20/2015 :  15:57:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
All I can say is to just be positive Switters. It will pass. I'm a tall guy at nearly 6'6" 197cm). I was 78kg (172 pounds), with a blood pressure of 90/60. My stools were pale and watery and my blood screens showed some inflammation activity. This is real stuff and my brain did all of it (well, except for the bit about being tall). TMS awareness fixed it and saved my life.

Andy, I had an ulcer nearly 20 years ago. Two lots of heavy duty antibiotics didn't fix it. I was offered a third course, but thanks to my gut instincts, turned it down.

I found a natural cure in an alternative health care book (there was no internet) and the ulcer was gone in 8 days.

The cure was simple - fresh cabbage juice. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1643665/

My ulcer was planted there by work stress. My understanding is that once the crater develops, the h-pylori blankets it and prevents it from being healed. The antibiotic therapy which both Sheila and I tried, contains 3 drugs, one (or two) of which knock off the h-pylori and another which heals the ulceration.

These days, I probably would have thought TMS.

When we can't fix it with our heads, we can always lean on mother nature :-).

Gary

Edited by - garystil on 12/20/2015 16:01:35
Go to Top of Page

tennis tom

USA
4746 Posts

Posted - 12/22/2015 :  09:47:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Another view on ulcers, my story: About a decade ago I had a duodenal ulcer due to taking Aleves by the handful, sometimes maybe six at a time--if one is good, one more and one more is even better...NOT. I had the warning signs for weeks--dark tarry colored stools. I was about to see a doctor but before I could I passed out on the throne and was ambulanced to the ER. By then I'd lost half my blood and was transfused and pumped back-up during a three day hospital stay, and was playing in a tournament two days later.

At the hospital, I was given an endoscopy and the doc said the doudodenal ulcer had healed over. He explained the stomach is lined with a mucus like coating and it had healed--that was within 48 hours of the incident. They discharged me with an RX for Prilosec. I didn't change my diet and learned that the two top causes for ER visits are panic attacks (thought to be heart attacks--had one of those too) and bleeds caused by overuse of NSAIDS. That's my ulcer story, contributed to show how rapidly they can heal over.
Go to Top of Page

andy64tms

USA
589 Posts

Posted - 12/22/2015 :  15:56:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Gary,
I am not into taking additives, but I was impressed with the cabbage juice article. My TMS suspicious mind starts to think placebo, or can it be categorized under a diet supplement. My son has gone vegetarian, and I’ve seen firsthand the changes in his health and happiness. Additionally I have been surprised how many windsurfers are vegan and vegetarian, so I am interested in diet. We all have unique bodies, and this summer I dropped in weight from 160 lbs to a mere 145 Lbs, I am just a bag of bones. I don’t seem to have any built in fuel tank and have to eat constantly when windsurfing or I become weak and shaky.

Today, my hobbling wife and I went grocery shopping and guess what? She placed a bottle of Apple Cider Vinegar in the cart!

Hi Tom,
I hope you are well. What do you eat to ace at tennis? I realize you are not into supplements etc. Don’t be embarrassed at taking handfuls of Aleives, I did the same with Ibuprofen trying to relieve an impacted tooth, it got to the point where my nose wouldn't stop bleeding. My light came on when I eventually read the warning label, I was overdosing.

Hi Switters.

Andy
Books:
Healing Back Pain
Unlearn your Pain
The Great Pain Deception
Go to Top of Page

tennis tom

USA
4746 Posts

Posted - 12/22/2015 :  16:50:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by andy64tms

Hi Tom,
... What do you eat to ace at tennis?

Hi Andy, the short answer is PISTACHIOS...I'm on the run...later...

Cheers mate,
tt/lsmft
Go to Top of Page

garystil

Australia
42 Posts

Posted - 12/22/2015 :  17:33:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have to correct an earlier statement about my ulcer. NSAIDS (not stress) caused my ulcer. Stress was just making the symptoms worse.

Tom, not all ulcers are accompanied by the h-pylori saboteur, which could account for the rapid healing.

By the way, apart from drinking cabbage juice, I also mixed a teaspoon of chilli powder in hot water and drank it daily! Burned my throat on the way down, but left a wonderful glow in my tummy. The chilli is said to stimulate the healing process.

Andy, the ulcer never returned, so it was a wonderful placebo :-). Glad to see the ACV in the shopping cart! Its uses are endless. Combined with apple juice it will help her with gallbladder pain. Over 100 testimonials as to its effectiveness, here: http://www.earthclinic.com/cures/gallbladder-attack-treatment.html Sheila now has the option of fighting her maladies with TMS or ACV.

Edited by - garystil on 12/22/2015 20:18:34
Go to Top of Page

andy64tms

USA
589 Posts

Posted - 12/23/2015 :  10:33:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Gary,
I recognize that TMS need to make a correction; you just can’t live with a mistruth out there. Possibly nobody really noticed until you pointed it out. As TMSrs I think we need all the integrity we can muster because its physiological denial that got us here in the first place. I am fascinated with people watching, I see credit card interest denial a point of great humor, I see real shock and awe when I say to people: “I have never paid one red cent in credit card interest, ever”.

I’ll go deep by saying TMS is akin to the placebo effect, no offence to anyone. The definition of the placebo effect is the belief that the tablet will do its work. This is exactly how TMS works, our belief that we have real physical issues keep them there. I have read that there is a small placebo effect in every tablet taken. This effect is used in drug clinical trials extensively and has become an industry to bring drugs to the market place. Since we are a bag of chemicals maybe the mind switches a signal or DNA to allow the drug to do its work. I’ll take a placebo effect any time over pain.

If you read up on and applied scientific studies to ACV or cabbage juice, you have to “believe” this extra information in order to put them in your mouth in the first place- placebo. Last night I saw Sheila shudder when she drank the ACV, I asked myself: “did the raw taste enhance a placebo effect?” Fun stuff! I am pleased to say Sheila read your IBS-Jackmat thread again this morning, she enjoyed it.

I am sure Switters is off exercising, he gave himself a great affirmation when he wrote: ‘I've GOT To exercise again. Been putting it off.” Notice the Caps! He will do well.

Andy
Books:
Healing Back Pain
Unlearn your Pain
The Great Pain Deception
Go to Top of Page

garystil

Australia
42 Posts

Posted - 12/23/2015 :  18:23:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The loss of integrity in the eyes of my siblings and nieces was a huge factor in my illness. Its something that will never be fixed. It helps that there is one other person (my wife) that knows the whole truth. But the TMS integrity burden remains. Well spotted Andy.

Just yesterday, a perfect stranger uttered the line "I don't trust You". I had heard that phrase so many times just prior to my illness, that yesterday's remark made me sleepless last night.

With regard to placebo Andy, I am here because of the magic of placebo - but thats another story!

I have to say that I'm sorry about the loss of formatting in my IBS post!

I applaud everybody that provides ongoing help on this forum. The "sympathetic response" and the TMS oppositionists often undermine my ability to continue.

Edited by - garystil on 12/24/2015 07:30:58
Go to Top of Page

andy64tms

USA
589 Posts

Posted - 12/24/2015 :  10:52:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Gary,

Look on your integrity as an asset, what you believe to remain true to yourself. It’s my belief that other people’s opinions do not matter, they rarely understand. My wife has chosen to remain in bed during her second knee recovery. She says “on” the bed. Our two story house has a magnificent view from our bedroom. She has everything she “kneeds’ on the bed, TV Remotes, crossword puzzles. Our living room down stairs is dark, next to the “ever beckoning” kitchen. I know her integrity would force her to become active doing dishes, preparing food etc. So without resentment I have chosen to support her, my integrity tells me to do so. The rest of the world can take a hike, we are both very happy, her surgeon calls her a "star" as she heeds his advice.

I think I upset a new poster recently, his discussions reminded me of the depth of thought we all go through here and the difficulties I had at first. I come back here for several months at a time, (I will be gone soon). My motives are to affirm my beliefs, review my beliefs (they do change) and of course help in some small way. I see TMS as an ongoing education and I heal daily.

Andy
Books:
Healing Back Pain
Unlearn your Pain
The Great Pain Deception

Edited by - andy64tms on 12/24/2015 10:54:41
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
TMSHelp Forum © TMSHelp.com Go To Top Of Page