TMSHelp Forum
TMSHelp Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Resources | Links | Policy
Username:
Password:

Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 TMSHelp
 TMSHelp General Forum
 How to overcome Pavlov's dog reactions to pain
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page  
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Switters

42 Posts

Posted - 01/06/2016 :  09:35:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi All, I thought I'd start a new topic based on something I'm grappling with. My previous post was about my gastritis/IBS issue, and this is a tangent from that topic. While my symptoms are improving some after two months, some days are better than others.

My question/issue - from a TMS perspective - I want your advice:
Because I've had some form of digestive distress on a daily basis, it has created a fear of eating. I AM eating - and I notice that I'm usually fine in the mornings. However, when lunchtime comes I get afraid that what I'm about to eat will cause me pain, and it often does.

So - do you guys experience the same thing with your ailments when you try resuming your usual activities - in my case, eating?

So I don't know if it's a self-fulfilling prophecy, or if it's a genuine physical reaction to the food. Gary I know you laughed off your own IBS pain, or got angry at it. I'm not doing so great doing those techniques.

I'm laying off gluten, dairy, red meats, caffeine, fried foods and junk. I'm eating healthy meals. I'm losing weight.

Still on the omeprozale meds - with a follow up with my gastro doctor tomorrow.
Tests I've had: endoscopy, CT scan, and ultrasound. They found stomach inflammation (gastritis). I tested negative for hPylori bacteria. So I'm not sure what caused the gastritis. Possibly TMS. I just don't know.

Thanks for your additional thoughts.

garystil

Australia
42 Posts

Posted - 01/06/2016 :  20:43:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Switters, there are two gastritis recovery stories on this link. Did you read them? Could you relate?

http://www.tmswiki.org/forum/threads/been-away-but-back-with-stomach-issues-gastritis.7360/

Edited by - garystil on 01/06/2016 20:44:42
Go to Top of Page

Switters

42 Posts

Posted - 01/07/2016 :  08:40:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Gary yes I read them, and thank you. They do give me hope.
I just don't know how to get over the fear and apprehension that proceeds eating normal lunches and dinner. Sorry if I'm repeating myself. I keep losing weight. I just saw my gastro Doctor and because my symptoms haven't completely left she now wants me to have a colonoscopy. I'm feeling very anxious. She's guessing, but wants to rule out Crones disease or other. I've lost 17 lbs since this started over 2 months ago. Granted, I've altered my diet considerably, low fat; no more burgers, egg sandwiches, coffees with cream and sugar, or alcohol. I just continue having the discomfort. I'm so confused; every expert has a different opinion. Working alone isn't helping because I'm obsessing. Sorry to repeat myself and thanks for your patience.
Go to Top of Page

garystil

Australia
42 Posts

Posted - 01/07/2016 :  15:07:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The suggestion by your physician to do a colonoscopy is good advice, to rule out structural problems.

When I was in your position, my stools were thin and pale, and my face was gaunt, because I was failing to absorb nutrition from food. I was eating five main meals per day and still lost 33 pounds, even though there was nothing physically wrong with me. I had the endoscopy, colonoscopy and blood screens which all came back negative (thats good), but my fear and anxiety continued unabated.

Many doubters can't see how the mind can possibly cause chaos and physical symptoms of such an extreme nature.

Once you get the "all clear" from your colonoscopy, you will need to give up the meds if you want to convince your subconscious that there is nothing wrong, you know that there is nothing wrong, and that there is nothing to fear.

Gary

Edited by - garystil on 01/07/2016 15:10:11
Go to Top of Page

Switters

42 Posts

Posted - 01/07/2016 :  15:11:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you Gary, sincerely, for your words and for being a help to me through this. I really appreciate it.
Go to Top of Page

tennis tom

USA
4746 Posts

Posted - 01/07/2016 :  21:03:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I recommend you read Chapter 22 of "TO BE OR NOT TO BE PAIN FREE : The Mindbody Syndrome" by Marc Sopher , M.D. He was a close associate of the Good Doctor's.

It's entitled : "AN UPSET STOMACH-BEYOND ULCERS; IRRITABLE BOWEL SYNDROME, REFLUX AND DYSPEPSIA".

G'luck!
tt
Go to Top of Page

tennis tom

USA
4746 Posts

Posted - 01/08/2016 :  12:41:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I attended a book signing lecture a while back by Lisa Rankin, M.D., author of "MIND OVER MEDICINE"; the first thing she said, while sipping on a glass of green "healthy" beverage was, "This isn't about NUTRITION".
Go to Top of Page

tennis tom

USA
4746 Posts

Posted - 01/09/2016 :  09:19:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here's a recent post from the TMS WIKI by a member named "Simplicity":

"I suffered from severe gastritis and GERD for many years but managed to heal both a few years ago by going off PPIs and eating an all natural diet. I learned that GERD was not due to too much Stomach acid, but not enough and by drinking raw ACV I could stop the medication gradually. The PPIs caused a lot of problems for me and I think people need to think twice before taking them.

I also suffered from celiac disease without knowing it and it played a role too; I stopped eating gluten a few years prior to my diagnosis and was able to heal much of the damage it had caused. However, this was my unique case and this part of the problem applies to very few people.

There's no doubt in my mind that gastritis/GERD/ulcers are largely tms/mbs disorders. My issues began during a very stressful time. By treating the symptoms with medications instead of fixing what was troubling me my health suffered for many years and I had to find a few different ways to heal. Too bad I had to take the long road to figuring this out.

I agree that one should make sure that there isn't an underlying serious disease and once cleared treat it as tms/mbs.

“I do believe in simplicity - distinguish the necessary and the real. Probe the earth to see where your main roots run. ”
Simplicity, 35 minutes ago ReportBookmark#22LikeReply
Page 2 of 2
< Prev12Go to First Unread
Go to Top of Page

Switters

42 Posts

Posted - 01/09/2016 :  09:50:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you for your posts, TT. I appreciate your time.
I am now meditating daily. Also, my brother told me he had similar stomach issues once and took lorazapam to calm his nerves and that it helped him. I took them as needed a few years ago when I had a few severe panic attacks and they really helped. I figure maybe I'll try it this morning, so I did and I was able to relax enough to have breakfast without worry. I've been so on edge I figure if anxiety is causing this than why not try this low/dose tranquilizer and see if my digestion improves. I obviously know awareness of my core emotional issues are part of this and I'm addressing that too.
Go to Top of Page

andy64tms

USA
589 Posts

Posted - 01/09/2016 :  10:23:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Switters, I don’t suffer from any of the issues discussed on this thread, but I was impressed with Tom’s addition about Simplicity’s Gerd. I reminded me of some of stomach anxieties I have had in the past.

To me the stomach and intestines are very much tied to the autonomic nervous system. They are very complicated and normally run in the background. Our stomachs talk to us, when we get that nervy feeling, (Fright or Anxiety) we become agitated, and are normally directed to make decisions to keep us safe. These fears or anxieties can be either real or perceived.

Under normal circumstances fears and anxieties come and go. One time with me they stayed for several weeks, similar to you Switters. I was 28 on the verge of a major decision to escape my dysfunctional family, deciding whether to get married and immigrate to the United States. I had real and perceived fear and anxiety, I had a full load of decisions to make, and the most difficult one was shunning my past family. Once I had made that leap of faith in my new wife and country my anxieties faded. I was able to focus on the excitement of my future. My worrying brain had perpetuated these nasty symptoms for six weeks.

With you Switters, I see the same thing, have you tried to fill that worrying brain with exercise, a new hobby, studies, excitement, art, the thing that gives you most joy, basically changing the TMS subject?

You mentioned “self-fulfilling prophecy”. I agree, your anxieties are switched “on” and “of” at will, at meal times, classic TMS. In this post I have not mentioned food or diet or the intake of substances on purpose, ask yourself why?
Good luck

Andy
Past TMS Experience in 2000, with success.
Charlie Horse on neck for 20 years, is almost gone.
Books:
Healing Back Pain
Unlearn your Pain
The Great Pain Deception

Edited by - andy64tms on 01/09/2016 15:21:47
Go to Top of Page

fredamir

87 Posts

Posted - 01/10/2016 :  18:57:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
When I was going through my TMS experience with chronic pain and disability, I also developed severe gastritis. My stomach hurt every time I ate. Just the thought of drinking orange juice made my stomach hurt.

Once I recovered from TMS gastritis disappeared too. That said you can have GI distress due to yeast overgrowth, improper food combining, in addition to TMS.

Here are something to try:

1. For stomach issues try 2-3 oz of aloe vera juice 3 times a day. It is very healing to the entire GI track.

2. Bone broth has an amazing healing effect and is packed with minerals. If you can get some grass fed beef bones from Whole Foods, soak them in vinegar water overnight so the minerals leach out, and add onions, garlic, and spices,add more water as desired, cook in a slow cooker for 8 hours or more. Let it cool, skim the fat off, and warm as needed to enjoy.

3. Take a look at The Body Ecology Diet by Donna Gates. It has instructions on how to eliminate yeast overgrowth in the GI track.

4. Avoid all grains and carbs, including fruits, for 2-3 weeks until you recover. If you must, eat fruits on an empty stomach otherwise, it will sit on top of proteins and fats and ferment giving you GI issues.

Try the above and see.

Fred Amir
www.rapidrecovery.net
New page on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/Fred-Amir-316482208548931/
Free Rapid Recovery Workshop 01/13/16
https://www.eventbrite.com/e/rapid-recovery-from-back-and-neck-pain-tickets-19988606460
Make 2016 Your Best Year Yet! 01/16/16
https://www.eventbrite.com/e/make-2016-your-best-year-yet-tickets-20096326654
Go to Top of Page

Switters

42 Posts

Posted - 01/21/2016 :  17:15:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Fred - thank you for replying.

Well everyone - wish I could say I was symptom free, but I'm not. The stomach distress has continued daily. Colonoscopy coming up next Wednesday.

It hasn't gotten worse - but it hasn't really gotten better. I've been meditating daily, doing acupuncture, eating as healthy as a human can eat. Bowel movements are looking normal throughout, although there's some occasional constipation. It's mainly stomach cramping / trapped gas about an hour after eating a full meal. It seems the worst thing that happens is the stomach pain flares up, which often signals an imminent bowel movement and then I'm usually ok after. What's hard is waking up everyday worrying that it's another day of this bull****. I'm trying to be positive. It just feels like something nasty has "moved in" to my body and isn't leaving.

I noticed my CT scan report said: "BOWEL: UNREMARKABLE" but despite this my doctor advises getting the colonoscopy anyway to rule things out.

If this is TMS I will be so amazed. I really want it to be. I actually tried cradling my stomach and rubbing it as if it was an upset baby. I talked to it: "It's going to be okay. You've been upset." I felt a bit crazy, but it seemed to work! The symptoms lessoned a bit...At least that night.

Gary - your symptoms seemed severe yet you got through it. I'm still at a loss over here. Thanks everyone.

Go to Top of Page

alexis

USA
596 Posts

Posted - 01/22/2016 :  05:50:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Switters,

I wish you the best on recovery, whatever this turns out to be. I've know people with a variety of similar IBS and IBD scenarios and, fortunately, all that I recall eventually improved...sometimes on meds, sometimes not. Because I've known people personally with these conditions I've seen the research on everything from diet and lifestyle, to cigarette and worm treatments. A big area, but one with lots of hope for both psychological and medical treatments.

I'm interested in two things you write. One is about getting rid of the fear. When you are sure the problem is psychosomatic or can't be made worse this seems right, but are you already there? Otherwise might some level of fear potentially be a biological warning you want to keep?

I'm also interested in your approach to meditating. Is this an evening or morning sitting, or do you sit with the fear before or during meals? I don't know that that would help, particularly as it contrasts to my own comments above on keeping the fear, but perhaps identifying the details and conditions of the arising would help, and, if desired, examination could resolve it down to its constituent parts and potential resolution...or at least soften the experience.

I hope you hear something more definitive. Are they doing, or have you done, a pill cam?
Go to Top of Page

Switters

42 Posts

Posted - 01/25/2016 :  16:54:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Alexis,
Thanks for your comments. I'm scheduled to have a colonoscopy on Wednesday (2 days away). (Not a pill cam.)

Regarding meditation, I've been doing it twice daily, morning and night. I sit, listening to a peaceful ocean sounds, and follow my breath. When my mind wanders, I return awareness to my breath. That's it.

You mentioned my fear being "a biological warning I want to keep?" I'm not sure what you mean; that I want to keep the fear? That's interesting.

In acupuncture - just before they treat me they ask "Do you give permission for your healing today?" I find that interesting.

I have (mostly) stopped fearing eating food despite my ongoing symptoms. I simply eat clean healthy foods. If I listened to every food expert, I wouldn't eat ANYTHING because everyone has an opinion on what'll kill you or make you sick, and they all contradict.

I was feeling pretty good today until I paid $80 for the colonoscopy prep drink which is supposed to taste horrible. Now my stomach is cramping badly 4 hours after eating gluten free waffles with bananas. Could it be stress for the colonoscopy and worries about it's findings are kicking in? Today's fear: I'm worried I have diverticulitis or worse. Yet I've already had ultrasound, CT scan, which said BOWEL Unremarkable. Apparently that doesn't rule out other things.

I've got to try and relax. I'm doing all I know how to do.

Being around others helps.

Thanks everyone for your patience reading my updates.

Go to Top of Page

Switters

42 Posts

Posted - 01/27/2016 :  18:00:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Me again. I had the colonoscopy today with mostly favorable results. No evidence of crohns, or other scary stuff. They removed a very small polyp that is being biopsied, but my doctor didn't seem too concerned.
She said my cramping symptoms sound like IBS (in addition to the already diagnosed gastritis). She also is testing a sample to rule out parasites, but would be surprised if that tested positive.

And so...TMS...

I've had:
An endoscopy
A CT scan
And a colonoscopy

The worst things they found are gastritis, a (probably) benign cyst on my kidney, and a polyp. In my opinion, the only thing that could cause my ongoing stomach and digestive distress is the gastritis. Even doctors don't know what causes IBS so they suggest "lifestyle change" as a cure. My diet is balanced and healthy.

I'm feeling ready to relax into thinking TMS. My massage therapist friend said "It sounds like you're caught in a pain cycle." That made so much sense to me. I'm slowly preparing to return to "normal". Confront food intolerances head on. Etc.
Go to Top of Page

Om Sharma

India
17 Posts

Posted - 01/27/2016 :  20:33:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Switters

Me again. I had the colonoscopy today with mostly favorable results. No evidence of crohns, or other scary stuff. They removed a very small polyp that is being biopsied, but my doctor didn't seem too concerned.
She said my cramping symptoms sound like IBS (in addition to the already diagnosed gastritis).

I am also a sufferer of IBS along with levator ani syndrome. Doctors gave me pantaprozole and Domperidon with uninzyme tablets for more then half and one year regularly. I restricted food strictly according to Doctors' advice but I got no relief.
Try Homeopathy, It will cure you both mentally and physically. I am getting Homeopathic treatment since last month and at present I am almost free from all those indigestion, fatigue, terrible fletulency and abdominal pain and eating all kind of food normally. Though occasionally a little gas formation troubles in night but it is seldom. I am still under medication and getting better day by day. I hope soon complete recovery.

Edited by - Om Sharma on 01/27/2016 21:21:08
Go to Top of Page

Switters

42 Posts

Posted - 01/28/2016 :  05:49:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
On Sharma that's great news for you. What homeopathic methods are you doing exactly? Do you have a homeopathic Doctor?
Go to Top of Page

Om Sharma

India
17 Posts

Posted - 01/28/2016 :  09:44:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Switters

On Sharma that's great news for you. What homeopathic methods are you doing exactly? Do you have a homeopathic Doctor?

Yes, I have a government doctor but at present she is on maternity leave for six months. She gave me 'nux vomica 30' and 'carbo veg 30' for IBS with BC 4.
You can get some informaton about these remedies from these links-
http://www.homeoint.org/clarke/n/nux_v.htm
http://www.homeoint.org/clarke/c/carb_veg.htm
You can also learn a lot about homeopathy from these sites-
https://abchomeopathy.com/
http://homeoint.org/
http://www.herbs2000.com/

Edited by - Om Sharma on 01/28/2016 09:46:35
Go to Top of Page

Lightwriter

USA
3 Posts

Posted - 02/10/2016 :  23:11:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Switters, in reading your post I couldn't help think about the reading I have done on the latest "Gluten allergy" fad that has become so popular. It has long been my opinion, and now I am reading from others with some credentials, that it isn't gluten that causes digestive disorders, but the existence of Round Up herbicide residue left in most of our food. It will be in nearly every processed food and much non-organic produce. Wheat and corn are the worst.

I suspect we are just beginning to see the start of this, since soon Big Ag will be adding a new herbicide to the mix, this time with Agent Orange in it.

I think the other members have given you excellent advice, and I am glad you are not ruling anything out. Understand I am not suggesting I believe this is what is wrong with you, I am only suggesting this as one possible direction to look. Gastritis is definitely suspicious for glyphosate sensitivity. Wishing you wellness very soon!
Go to Top of Page

EileenTM

92 Posts

Posted - 02/11/2016 :  15:16:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I had a episode this week that may help you. I got respiratory flu really bad 10 days ago in part due to some very stressful family events. After a week those symptoms got better and irritable bowel symptoms started. But no fever. Called my dr and she said I must have something new. So I talked to my sub c told it to knock it off. & it did. Still suffering some fatigue but stomach is now fine. This tms can be very strong I am still a axed that such stomach distress just disappeared. Just try talking to it. It works
Go to Top of Page

garystil

Australia
42 Posts

Posted - 02/13/2016 :  17:46:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Lightwriter,

I suffered debilitating "frozen shoulder" many years ago, and was told by doctors that I would have to put up with it, and that it would pass after about 2 years. I stopped eating wheat and it was gone in 2 months.

I also suffered severe fructose intolerance and lost 33 pounds in 3 months. Most food has some degree of fructose in it, so it didn't leave me much to eat. I became skin and bones and very weak and the white coats had no clue. I got over it by abstaining from wheat and using TMS.

I listened to my body, and talked to my mind.

It may be a fad for some people, and it may have been nocebo for me, but most importantly I avoided certain death. I only ask people to try wheat abstinence, not to continue indefinitely.

I've been eating wheat for the past couple of years. I don't eat bread, cakes, spaghetti, and pizzas, but I'm happy to have food that contains wheat.

I have no regrets about taking my wheat holiday and now have no problems with it as long as I stay within my perceived thresholds.

If you found my posts to Switters offensive or misleading, I apologise to you and anyone else that feels the same way.

Edited by - garystil on 02/13/2016 19:18:55
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
TMSHelp Forum © TMSHelp.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000