TMSHelp Forum
TMSHelp Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Resources | Links | Policy
Username:
Password:

Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 TMSHelp
 TMSHelp General Forum
 is back pain always TMS?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

meluveitie

23 Posts

Posted - 01/29/2016 :  16:26:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi -- I've been familiar with TMS for awhile now as I've always been a somaticizer of sorts, the worst of mine being pelvic pain. Usually they were random things like headaches, itching, etc. and I was able to just sit with it and recognize it as TMS and within a few days it would usually go away.

However, I'm having trouble buying into TMS with the one that seems to be the most TMS of them all - recent onset of back pain. Mind you I've never actually had back pain as a symptom, minus the intermittent sciatica. But earlier this week I was pushing a couch and felt a twinge in my back. At first I just thought I twisted it wrong so I figured it would go away and haven't been doing anything different trying to say oh this is just TMS. However, the pain has been getting worst, and spreading - the twinge in the middle of my back is now on both the left and right side, in my lower back, upper back, some soreness, tingling, shooting pain, some tingling down my butt -- it feels like it's all over. And I'm not gonna lie I'm scared I herniated a disk and now I'm afraid if I go to a doc to get it checked out and they find a herniated disc (which in many people they do) I'll go down a TMS tail spin. But could I have actually really hurt my back? I keep telling myself it's TMS but the symptoms haven't let up and it's been longer than usual, and normally it doesn't get worse - so naturally I'm thinking maybe this one was an actual injury. Any advice?

tennis tom

USA
4746 Posts

Posted - 01/30/2016 :  07:00:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The odds are 80% it's TMS. See a TMS doc for a DX or read the books, videos, audios and archived posts here. If you called Dr. Sarno he would probably tell you you can't hurt your back or "pop a disc" by shoving your couch around--"If it's too heavy to lift, you wouldn't be able to lift it,"

That'll be $5,000, please remit in unmarked $100 bills.

Boilerplate: I'm a tennis player and not a doctor.

If it's TMS, see the Rahe-Holmes list just below to see what's bugging your sub-c.

==================================================

TAKE THE HOLMES-RAHE STRESS TEST
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Holmes_and_Rahe_stress_scale

Some of my favorite excerpts from _THE DIVIDED MIND_ :
http://www.tmshelp.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=2605

==================================================

"It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society." Jiddu Krishnamurti

"Pain is inevitable; suffering is optional." Author Unknown

“You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation” – Plato

"Happy People Are Happy Putters." Frank Nobilo, Golf Analyst

"Be careful about reading health books. You may die of a misprint." Mark Twain and Balto

"The hot-dog is the noblest of dogs; it feeds the hand that bites it." Dr. Laurence Johnston Peter

"...the human emotional system was not designed to endure the mental rigors of a tennis match." Dr. Allen Fox

"Where ignorance is bliss, 'tis folly to be wise" - Thomas Gray

"All my friends in Los Angeles are the sensitive type. They all have like all the diseases like Chronic Fatigue, Epstien Barr, Fibromyalgia. Like all the diseases where the only symptoms seem to be you had a really crappy childhood and at the prospect of full time work ya feel kinda achy and tired."

Posted by Skizzik @ TMSHelp from comedian Maria Bamford

"Success consists of going from failure to failure without loss of enthuisam."
Sir Winston Churchill

======================================================

"If it ends with "itis" or "algia" or "syndrome" and doctors can't figure out what causes it, then it might be TMS." Dave the Mod

=================================================

TMS PRACTITIONERS:

John Sarno, MD
400 E 34th St, New York, NY 10016
(212) 263-6035

Dr. Sarno is now retired, if you call this number you will be referred to his associate Dr. Rashbaum.

"...there are so many things little and big that are tms, I wouldn't have time to write about all of them": Told to icelikeaninja by Dr. Sarno

Here's the TMS practitioners list from the TMS Help Forum:
http://www.tmshelp.com/links.htm

Here's a list of TMS practitioners from the TMS Wiki:
http://tmswiki.org/ppd/Find_a_TMS_Doctor_or_Therapist

Edited by - tennis tom on 01/30/2016 07:02:19
Go to Top of Page

alexis

USA
596 Posts

Posted - 02/02/2016 :  05:50:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My dog seriously ruptured a disc jumping off something just a couple of feet high. I'm pretty sure it wasn't TMS. The pain was awful to watch. Surgery was essential and effective.

You don't have to agree with your dr, but I would advise going to get all the info. A lot of mainstream research these days is very conservative on back surgery. With luck, you'll be better before the appointment anyway.

I think you've only beat the TMS demon when you can face a real injury, and sooner or later all of us get to take that test. Maybe this is your test, maybe it isn't.
Go to Top of Page

shawnsmith

Czech Republic
2048 Posts

Posted - 02/10/2016 :  14:21:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It would have been more humane to put the dog under.

quote:
Originally posted by alexis

My dog seriously ruptured a disc jumping off something just a couple of feet high. I'm pretty sure it wasn't TMS. The pain was awful to watch. Surgery was essential and effective.

You don't have to agree with your dr, but I would advise going to get all the info. A lot of mainstream research these days is very conservative on back surgery. With luck, you'll be better before the appointment anyway.

I think you've only beat the TMS demon when you can face a real injury, and sooner or later all of us get to take that test. Maybe this is your test, maybe it isn't.

Go to Top of Page

SteveO

USA
272 Posts

Posted - 02/10/2016 :  21:22:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Was this a drive by question?
Go to Top of Page

tennis tom

USA
4746 Posts

Posted - 02/10/2016 :  21:28:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by shawnsmith

Under what, the couch?

Go to Top of Page

tennis tom

USA
4746 Posts

Posted - 02/10/2016 :  21:35:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by SteveO

Was this a drive by question?

Hey SteveO! What up? Long time no here, hare, hear. What's a drive by question? Do you think me asking for $5,000 was too much?

Happy Lunar New Year,
tt/lsmft

p.s. How's the audio book coming? Any ETA on it? Any new books or articles?
Go to Top of Page

SteveO

USA
272 Posts

Posted - 02/11/2016 :  15:24:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

TtomO, how have you been? Are you still tenniseeing clearly?

A drive by question is one that the person asks but doesn't come back to see the answer. I wasted many an hour responding to folks in forums who ask a question and then find their magic placebo bullet and never return,

Always lots going on, mostly at the political end of TMS fighting to keep a great message from being convoluted and diluted.

I think you should have asked for $5000 in marked bills.

Audiobook is under editing. Audio is harder than writing no wonder they charge more for them.

I need a lucky strike
Go to Top of Page

tennis tom

USA
4746 Posts

Posted - 02/12/2016 :  09:42:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
HiYO SteveO,

Thanks for the def of a "drive-by" question. Yah, it's pretty unrewarding being a TMS public utility, but figure someone may benefit from an answer and it's good practice to remember the TMS Knowledge Penicillin--and how to spell penicillin.

I'm seeing the fuzzy yellow ball real well, but just nor running as fast as Usain Bolt, more like Elmer Fudd. But, whatever, the scores would be the same either way. Did a week long golf clinic down in the desert recently with a real good pro, Steve Creps. He's a club-fitter to the stars. When I go back down I'll take some privates. I do own a putter I won in a golf tournament I was doing a drive along with a buddy who played in it. It's an Odyssey that I hear is pretty good. If you make it out to kali or I'm in Ohio, you'll have to give me some swing tips.

Them Indians had it right, tobacco is a great relaxant.

Cheers,
tt/lsmft
Go to Top of Page

SteveO

USA
272 Posts

Posted - 02/19/2016 :  16:11:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

I'll attempt to answer even though it looks like this person was just thinking/worrying out loud.

It's not always TMS, but it's almost always TMS. A guy in Chicago recently showed me a letter Dr. Sarno had written to him saying that he had never seen a herniated disc cause back pain, ever. I've been doing this full time for 16 years and have never seen the structure of the spine cause back pain, yet. But there are other things.

I've seen a hematoma cause pain on two occasions, as well as an infection. I was doing mass interviews last year and followed Rocky Bleier on one show. He said his back hurt and he had cancer, but he's fine now.

Those are extreme rarities, and most healable. So it's always good to be safe and check it out, if it becomes chronic. In this posting/case, although I'm not sure, it looks like the sensation got worse over time which usually indicates TMS. A delayed onset points toward an emotional cause. The spreading of the sensation also points that way. But it's typical of someone to bend or lift and then have pain strike and then go have surgery and "heal." They then return to say, 'I didn't have TMS my surgery worked." But that's also rarely true. They don't understand the power of the mind and belief, or the SI. After they start limping around in knee pain they feel as though they have a new problem but it's simply the back pain "problem" shifting to their knee. The surgery never did anything. This is common.

So be cautious of doctors telling you that you need surgery, whether they are chiros, MDs, therapists, MBS, NPD, AOS, DPS physicians. These people not too infrequently tell people they need surgery but they do not, they heal nicely. The TMS MDs are the only ones who understand the bigger picture. The chance that you need surgery is minimal to the extreme, but anything is possible. Life is like a box of chocolates.

Hope that helps
SteveO

Go to Top of Page

alexis

USA
596 Posts

Posted - 02/19/2016 :  19:59:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by shawnsmith

Wow.

Was that some sort of sick joke or did you not understand the word "effective". My dog has had a happy life six more years and going. To suggest to someone years after the fact they should have killed a beloved pet is pretty warped.

This is typical of TMS fanaticism ... either something psychosomatic illness or you may as well just kill yourself. And no one called you on it either. Seriously troubled people here.
Go to Top of Page

tennis tom

USA
4746 Posts

Posted - 02/19/2016 :  23:43:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You'll have to forgive Shawn, but alas, he suffers from a vit deficiency a la jimmy-jimmy, causing these outbursts.

quote:
Originally posted by alexis
...Seriously troubled people here.

You're here.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
TMSHelp Forum © TMSHelp.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000