TMSHelp Forum
TMSHelp Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Resources | Links | Policy
Username:
Password:

Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 TMSHelp
 TMSHelp General Forum
 RSI + Hypochondria = TMS?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page  
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

tennis tom

USA
4746 Posts

Posted - 06/19/2010 :  09:21:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
L.L.,

I only have a microscopic knowledge of your situation, but my reaction is you're only 17, get out of the house and do something, ANYTHING, to prove to yourself you are not an 80 year old invalid. So you can't write or type, do something else. It's summer, if you're a student, get out of the house and go for a walk, go swimming ride the bus all day and look out the window.

I've never heard of anyone having an enema for gas, but there are a lot of things I haven't heard of. Why not go outdoors and have some fun with your gas instead of looking for treatments for it? Once you go down the drugstore path for TMS relief it can be endless and costly. READ DR. SARNO'S BOOKS INSTEAD, IF IT'S TMS YOU HAVE, THE ANSWERS ARE ALL IN HIS BOOKS! Get out of your house and sit under a tree or in a cafe and read Sarno's books until you can quote him word for word and brainwash yourself.

I woke up one day about three months ago and my left arm hurt. It made it difficult to use my arm as leverage to get out of bed in the morning. It made it difficult to swim, so I used it as much as I could until it hurt too much and then I swam using only my right arm. It's now about two or three months and it's almost back to normal. Point is you have a lot of body parts that can fill in when one doesn't work and DO something else. Steven Hawkings, the most brilliant mind of our time, is a TOTAL paraplegic, but he didn't allow his disability to prevent him from DOING.

Just do it!

What do you want to do?

Some of my favorite excerpts from _THE DIVIDED MIND_ :
http://www.tmshelp.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=2605

Edited by - tennis tom on 06/19/2010 18:56:13
Go to Top of Page

Gibbon

United Kingdom
138 Posts

Posted - 06/19/2010 :  16:02:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by lindaleyner

This fight is going to take some time, right?
So how do I tell my family that I need time?

Yesterday was a terrible day for me.
I woke up and had extreme belly pain, I couldnīt even sit straight or take a deep breath. I needed an enema because my stomach was full of gas.
My family told me that I was a stupid hypochondriac for waking up in pain and because I went to the doctor. Iīm really feeling depresed today, because I AM a hypochondriac with hand pain :( Today is one of these I think Iīll never get out of this hell.
The last 2 weeks were the worst since march. Had chest burn and fatigue and as the symptoms continued, anxiety. Everyone I talk to just says that I am crazy. And Iīm feeling stupid myself. I donīt want to go to the doctor that often, but it still happens.

Iīm so tired of this. Iīve read stories from people who are 30, 40 or 50 years old and have pain and anxiety. But Iīm still so young..Iīm wasting my youth with this crap.

A few comments - as Dave said, if people are actually saying you're crazy then you need to stop talking to them! Though are they really saying that? I ask because i used to equate anyone even mentioning any mind related component to my RSI to them saying i was just making it up and it was all in my head....looking back that wasn't rational at all - but you get so defensive about the condition that it becomes a natural response.

Also, stop beating yourself up over it - feeling miserable about your condition is understandable - but it's also something which can perpetuate the condition. Feeling angry, resentful, sad - are all natural responses to chronic pain conditions - but they can be significantly reduced by mindbody techniques. Doing this can then allow you to make positive changes in your life....

And take the positives - loads of people on this board suffered for years before discovering TMS - it took 3 years for me to first read Sarno's books. That's 3 years wasted! But to be honest, i just feel amazingly grateful that i didn't waste any more of my life...

You've discovered TMS early, you're receptive to mindbody techniques, you've got your whole life ahead of you - those are massive positives.

make a list of all the great things in your life to be happy about or thankful for. And everytime you feel down get it out and read through it. Make a pocket picture album of the things that make you happy and carry it with you....

And as Tennis Tom says - it's really important to start going out and doing new things - don't get into the "disabled" mindset where you adopt a "can't do" body-image....

Check out the TMS website: www.rsi-backpain.co.uk
Go to Top of Page

catspine

USA
239 Posts

Posted - 06/20/2010 :  01:53:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Lindaleyner

If the medical field has difficulties accepting Dr Sarno's theory then imagine how difficult it must be for your family if they are not tuned for it yet. Maybe later they will understand but right now you have other things to take care of, put the subject on hold if you can. One problem at a time is enough.

You apparently need some moral support to compensate for the lack of understanding but you run the risk of hearing something you may not be ready for yet if the person you talk to in your surrounding is not careful or aware, you are quite worried at the moment and there is a lot of fear in the air.
Help cannot come from someone who doesn't understand what you're dealing with.
A simple way to find some relief while minimizing the side effects of hazardous interaction is to go on a quotation web site and read famous quotes from your favorite people or others of course (uplifting , happiness, motivating, wisdom, good health, anything that will point in a positive direction) you may be surprised of what you'll find out there and at least you'll have something to offset the resistance you're encountering right now.

Also have a good look at the success stories, then you can proceed to deal with the fear and anxiety because a lot can be done to reduce that efficiently before dealing with the rest.

Do yourself a favor: Don't feed your mind more than it really needs: avoid researching the medical meaning about your symptoms while they are affecting you because the fear can do more bad than good...if you have to do it leave that to someone who is knowledgeable in the matter and wait for the results, at least a professional will weed out the stuff you don't need and that means less to worry about too.
Go to Top of Page

lindaleyner

Germany
46 Posts

Posted - 06/20/2010 :  08:58:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This medical researching thing is something I donīt want to do ever again - especially with the RSI thing it was the worst thing I could do...Because the only things you find are phrases like this:
"RSI...chronic..not curable...only rest helps...disabled...canīt work more than 1 hours..etc." Itīs just depressing and pure posion for the mind.

I was doing a lot better recently and well..it has ups and downs..there will be an UP soon, I believe.

Thanks for all your comments & support.
Go to Top of Page

tennis tom

USA
4746 Posts

Posted - 06/20/2010 :  09:15:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes, and definitely stay FAR away from the Psychology section of the library!

DR. SARNO IS ALL YOU NEED!

Edited by - tennis tom on 06/20/2010 09:16:25
Go to Top of Page

lindaleyner

Germany
46 Posts

Posted - 06/25/2010 :  06:09:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
There is a big problem there. Knowing seems not enough for me.

I know about TMS, about the pain being psychogenic, but still, it is worse now. Next Tuesday, I have to write an exam in german (with pen) about 6 pages. Iīm afraid because my hand is hurting more than ever. I know this is TMS, but how can I control it for the exam? Itīs soon, so I donīt have much time.
Go to Top of Page

Dave

USA
1864 Posts

Posted - 06/25/2010 :  09:19:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
I know about TMS, about the pain being psychogenic, but still, it is worse now.

Accept it.
quote:
Next Tuesday, I have to write an exam in german (with pen) about 6 pages. Iīm afraid...

Why are you afraid? Don't say it is because your hand hurts too much to write. That is circular reasoning. Why does your hand hurt? What are you really afraid of? What is this hand pain distracting you from?

If you let the fear of the pain control you, it is serving its purpose, and it will continue. Dig deeper and figure out where it is coming from. Perhaps the fear is really that of not living up to expectations (your own or others) when it comes to this exam. Or perhaps the exam is just a smokescreen for what you really lack confidence about. Whatever it is, you don't realize it. Try to find it.
Go to Top of Page

tennis tom

USA
4746 Posts

Posted - 06/25/2010 :  10:39:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
LL, Take Dave's advice, his is the best!

A practical solution to your predicament would be to learn to write left-handed, I dredged up an old post of mine:

If it's any help, I had excruciating pain that sounds much like yours, about ten years ago, before I found Sarno/TMS. I went to my family doctor who sent me to a neurolgist. He hooked my up to some contraption that measures electrical nerve impulses, an EMG, I think and deduced pinched nerve C6/C7 vertebrae. He told me to quit playing tennis for a month or "I would be seeing him for surgery".

He prescribed a contraption to do neck traction for an hour a day. I basicly sat quietly with this gizmo under my chin hung from a door to stretch my neck out. It was very boring, a form of Western Meditation, as Deepak would say. I busied myself by reading Dan Millmans's book, the "Warrior Athlete" and learned how to write left handed, practicing a tip from Millman's book to learn to do things with the other side of your brain.

I started playing tennis again cautiously after about two weeks. Today, my shoulder is as good as new. I have a really great serve, it is my weapon.

Thank God I didn't do any x-rays back then, who knows what that could have turned up. Your shoulder sounds like mine did and I just wanted to encourage you that it could be as good as new again. I had to hold my arm over my head while walking because the pain was so bad in certain positions.
Edited by - tennis tom on 02/16/2005 16:03:23

Go to Top of Page

catspine

USA
239 Posts

Posted - 06/25/2010 :  13:59:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Give the fire its share, go for the exam, pain or no pain and do what you can ,relax , it's only a test...
Let the person in charge know that you have a problem with your wrist and ask for any options. if that doesn't work, compensate by being better somewhere else : I got my own degree anyway with a really bad score in algebra ...
If you fail it then try again later I'm sure an other chance will come up . Life is full of exams...
But if you flunk or if you succeed and the pain disappears you'll know where it came from and will know what to do for next time. Go for it Linda.

Go to Top of Page

lindaleyner

Germany
46 Posts

Posted - 06/25/2010 :  14:42:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Itīs not only the exam - it is everything.
My grandpa is dying (heīs in coma after 3 heart attac#ks) and my mum is going to visit him (he lives in america) - so that i am going to be alone with my dad. I donīt want him to die AND I must admit that I donīt want her to leave, either. Itīs very egoistic...
And then the hand pain thing...i was very positive but now the fear about this becoming "chronic" is overwhelming. Iīm sorry for being so annoying :(
Go to Top of Page

catspine

USA
239 Posts

Posted - 06/25/2010 :  21:59:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Linda I understand you're overwhelmed right now but here is what you can do to slow the fear down :
The reason the fear is getting a hold on you is because you think about what may or may not happen in the near or distant future. The truth is right now nobody knows if it will get chronic or not so it's useless to think about that and recoveries stories are legions. By the time you come upon that answer you'll probably have learned enough to overcome the whole problem and what's creating it . Focus on a good outcome to think about and stick on to it as to a flashlight in the darkness even if you cannot see an improvement in the pain. It's not the result that must condition your approach, it's the thinking that should.

As soon as you catch yourself thinking about your wrist or your fears just turn it off , don't go there ,stop , replace it by the opposite of it.
Same thing with the what ifs: what if it does stay and so on? and what if it doesn't then? Ride the wave but don't let it drown you. there is plenty on this forum to show you how to deal with fear and come out of it so that you can function. run a search on the subject and it will pop up.

Edited by - catspine on 06/26/2010 01:34:23
Go to Top of Page

Gibbon

United Kingdom
138 Posts

Posted - 06/26/2010 :  07:30:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

My own opinion:

With so much stress going on at the moment (family stress, exam stress, as well as underlying anxiety etc etc) it's unlikely that you're going to see immediate improvements. Indeed, expecting that you will get better is possibly going to be counter-productive, if you start beating yourself up about still not being better. Until you can start to deal with all the stress and anxiety in your life, then the TMS will remain. In the short term therefore - ie. exams it is absolutely crucial that you talk to your teachers about this. there are all sorts of special provision that they can do - up to and including providing a scribe to actually write for you. It is also important to do this because if you underperform due to a condition/reason that the teachers are aware about in advance then they can make special dispensation - but if you only tell them afterwards or try and soldier through then they will not be able to do anything.

Now this support will just be a crutch - it will not make you better - but as a holding measure, whilst you try and come to terms with the various stress in your life, then it's a worthwhile strategy. Remember, I was barely able to hold a pen to write, and yet i can now write and type for hours at a time. But I didn't recover until i'd sorted my head out. RSI is absolutely not a life-condition. It will get better.

Check out the TMS website: www.rsi-backpain.co.uk
Go to Top of Page

lindaleyner

Germany
46 Posts

Posted - 07/08/2010 :  05:50:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
hi guys.
Iīm feeling really bad. The las time I wrote was before the exam, well it went well - B - and the oain during writing was better than I had expected. But on Monday my grandad died. First I was terribly sad and cried, but now Iīm confused. I donīt know what I am feeling - itīs like ...nothing? The only thing I feel is fear - of diseases. In the moment itīs diabetes even tough I had a blood test a month ago and everything was ok. Iīm driving myself crazy with every little thing I notice, like "how much did I drink today?" and so on. And since my grandpa was in the hospital, I have a viral pharyngitis that wonīt go away. Im feeling a bit thirsty, but I donīt know if its the fear or something. Iīm so afraid of getting that disease...because itīs uncurable. I always have fear of uncurable dieases... I beleive itīs something from my mind to cover what I am feeling about the loss of my grandpa, but how do I release that? I feel completely lost.

What is that for a life? Even people who are seriously ill donīt fear that much. But I am afraid of becoming an diabetic because of what? I donīt know..I donīt want to be ill and I think my mind is choosing that disease because it is not to cure, itīs so hopeless and you have to change your life - in many ways - like food, sport, traveling etc.
but I canīt live my life with that fear every day. And i canīt get my blood checked every week or so.
I ordered "The Divided Mind" from Sarno today, but it will take 3 weeks to arrive, so anyone has an advice for now?

Tanks.

Edited by - lindaleyner on 07/08/2010 05:56:38
Go to Top of Page

Dave

USA
1864 Posts

Posted - 07/08/2010 :  08:58:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
... I beleive itīs something from my mind to cover what I am feeling about the loss of my grandpa, but how do I release that? I feel completely lost.

This comment is completely buried in your long message which is focused on fear of disease. However, this is the most important part of your message, and you should try to build on that and ignore the rest.

There is no magic that will "release" feelings buried in your unconscious, but the good news is, it is not necessary to do that. All it takes is to accept that the symptoms and fear are there to distract you from those feelings.

Your obsession with disease is just another symptom. Your unconscious mind is trying to protect you from uncovering buried feelings that it deems too dangerous to experience. Try to find those feelings. You don't have to be successful, just try. Focus on how you might really feel about the passing of your grandpa, including "forbidden" thoughts that you might be embarassed about, or unwilling to accept.

As for the fear, please realize that you are a healthy 17-year old girl. You have been checked by medical doctors who have found no cause for alarm. The fear that you are experiencing is not rational -- it is anxiety. You need to try harder to refocus your energy. Accept the anxiety. Remind yourself that you are a healthy 17-year old girl and you have nothing to be worried about. Then instead of obsessing about diseases, train yourself to think about your emotional health. It may take some time but if you practice this repeatedly, you will ultimately recondition yourself to feel less anxiety and live a healthier life.
Go to Top of Page

lindaleyner

Germany
46 Posts

Posted - 07/30/2010 :  03:18:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well, I have now 5 weeks holiday and bought a new pc game to celebrate it. Itīs an RPG (you have to play with keyboard WASD and mouse) and really fun. The only problem I have is that after a while, I start to feel pain in my right hand (mosueclick finger, where I have a ganglion for about 2 years now, so I donīt think its because of this) and a bit in the left hand. I keep telling myself itīs nothing but then I start to think that I am playing on a laptop and that Iīm not used to play for I paused since octobre etc. but I have to say I played on a laptop 2 years ago or so and there was never any discomfort.
I really want to play whenever I want and not when it is not hurting too much. I think itīs an success that I am playing at all but..I donīt know..just 1 hour and then it hurts like hell makes me..sad.
So, what to do? Continuing with playing through the pain? Take rest? I`ve got 5 weeks, so thereīs time to do something about it.
Go to Top of Page

lindaleyner

Germany
46 Posts

Posted - 08/01/2010 :  15:24:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Iīm trying. I played the game for 2 hours now, telling myself I cannot hurt myself. My hands hurt like hell but I hope tomorrow they`ll be better. I have to lose the pain of injuring myself if I use my hands too much. I still notice this fear is there... Any tips?
Does anybody knows if Bshuhan is still on the board? His story impressed me a lot.
Go to Top of Page

art

1903 Posts

Posted - 08/02/2010 :  05:55:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

hi guys.
Iīm feeling really bad. The las time I wrote was before the exam, well it went well - B - and the oain during writing was better than I had expected. But on Monday my grandad died. First I was terribly sad and cried, but now Iīm confused. I donīt know what I am feeling - itīs like ...nothing? The only thing I feel is fear - of diseases. In the moment itīs diabetes even tough I had a blood test a month ago and everything was ok. Iīm driving myself crazy with every little thing I notice, like "how much did I drink today?" and so on. And since my grandpa was in the hospital, I have a viral pharyngitis that wonīt go away. Im feeling a bit thirsty, but I donīt know if its the fear or something. Iīm so afraid of getting that disease...because itīs uncurable. I always have fear of uncurable dieases... I beleive itīs something from my mind to cover what I am feeling about the loss of my grandpa, but how do I release that? I feel completely lost.

What is that for a life? Even people who are seriously ill donīt fear that much. But I am afraid of becoming an diabetic because of what? I donīt know..I donīt want to be ill and I think my mind is choosing that disease because it is not to cure, itīs so hopeless and you have to change your life - in many ways - like food, sport, traveling etc.
but I canīt live my life with that fear every day. And i canīt get my blood checked every week or so.
I ordered "The Divided Mind" from Sarno today, but it will take 3 weeks to arrive, so anyone has an advice for now?

Tanks.

Lots of respect for you Linda. At your age I could barely tie my shoes. You've got a tremendous amount of insight.

I tend to go at things practically. As to the diabetes, realize that your fear of it is probably nearly as disabling as the illness itself, especially in the short to medium term If you take care of yourself, work out, eat well, maintain a good weight, your chances of becoming diabetic are small. Your chances of getting it in your teens or 20's are very small indeed.

But it's not the illness per se. We hypochondriacs (yes, takes one to know one :>) seem to have a need to worry. Treat that as a distraction, just another TMS manifestation. It also helps me to be philosophical. We all die eventually, life is short, enjoy it while I can etc. etc.

You're 17 years old. That's a wonderful thing.

Edited by - art on 08/02/2010 05:59:56
Go to Top of Page

lindaleyner

Germany
46 Posts

Posted - 08/19/2010 :  15:54:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Everything is just so ****ing difficult.

I#ve been attacking my RSI with playing videogames etc. and it is definetly better.. BUT
Now my symptoms are:
-Dry eyes (ophtalmologist said its that)
- Alleregies? Rhinitis? My nose is full every night, so that I breathe out of my mouth and wake up with a sore throat.
A friend said thats an allergie from the tiny animals that are in one`s bed. And that I should buy a new, antiallergic mattress.
now I'm really down, I canīt sleep well because of this and I donīt want to take antihistaminics my whole life.
What did I do to deserve this whole ****?

I feel really miserable and I know that of no help.
Any tips? I need some encouraging to continue with this fight. I feel really powerless now..worn out...because I try with one thing (RSI) and something appears...and when that`s not soo bad, RSI is back.

17 and a whole bunch of "Chronic" "Lifelong" disorders :(
Go to Top of Page

lindaleyner

Germany
46 Posts

Posted - 08/20/2010 :  03:33:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ah, and now that I#ve begun to play the game I was playing when my "rsi" started, I notice hoe m< hand suddenly go cold, really cold!
What does that mean?
Go to Top of Page

alexis

USA
596 Posts

Posted - 08/20/2010 :  05:59:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

I donīt know..just 1 hour and then it hurts like hell makes me..sad.

Have you experimented with replacing a feeling of victimhood with allowing yourself to be angry? A core theory is that it's hard to be both sad/depressed and angry at the same time.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
TMSHelp Forum © TMSHelp.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000