TMSHelp Forum
TMSHelp Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Resources | Links | Policy
Username:
Password:

Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 TMSHelp
 TMSHelp General Forum
 Coming out
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page  
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4

pspa123

672 Posts

Posted - 01/25/2013 :  13:51:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
"After only one week of treatment with Dr. X, I sleep better, have more energy, my allergies are gone, and for the first time in years I am thinking clearly. After nearly 100 treatment failures, I had all but given up on life. He is a true miracle worker." -- Michael T., Sioux Falls, SD

Edited by - pspa123 on 01/25/2013 13:54:35
Go to Top of Page

pspa123

672 Posts

Posted - 01/25/2013 :  13:54:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by shawnsmith

We all have tried some desperate things with a view to recovering, but now that we are informed about what we need to do in order to get better, we can look back and laugh at ourselves.

Yes I suppose that's true but part of me (I know, unhealthy) is still angry about the people out there under the pretext of MD degrees and other expertise blatantly taking advantage of suffering people with bogus treatments. And there is seemingly nothing one can do about it, as the states will not intervene.
Go to Top of Page

alix

USA
434 Posts

Posted - 01/25/2013 :  14:17:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by pspa123

"After only one week of treatment with Dr. X, I sleep better, have more energy, my allergies are gone, and for the first time in years I am thinking clearly. After nearly 100 treatment failures, I had all but given up on life. He is a true miracle worker." -- Michael T., Sioux Falls, SD

Yup. It is what I mean. Probably written by the good doctor himself.
A few years ago, I nailed one of those self-help quacks and I demonstrated unequivocally that his reviews/testimonials were all fake. He never graduated from the university he claimed he attended etc... etc... I got his lawyer after me.

Edited by - alix on 01/25/2013 14:21:47
Go to Top of Page

pspa123

672 Posts

Posted - 01/25/2013 :  14:31:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I wrote letters to several state licensing authorities about MDs offering wholly unproven treatments, but with one exception I just got back form letters. One actually investigated and made one doctor make some cosmetic changes to his website. I suppose I could have gone to the FTC about the non-doctors but I gave up and figured, whatever, I can't save the world. I did some direct emails too, askibng questions of some people claiming to balance neurotransmitters and the like, but naturally they did not respond.

As TS Eliot wrote, "Teach us to care and not to care." It's the second half I sometimes have trouble with.

BTW that testimonial was my parody. Pretty spot on, no? LOL I have read a thousand as you guys have too.

Edited by - pspa123 on 01/25/2013 14:32:39
Go to Top of Page

plum

United Kingdom
641 Posts

Posted - 01/25/2013 :  14:39:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You guys are fantastic.
I'm not going to 'fess up to some of the **** I've fallen for. This has lifted my spirits though.
Go to Top of Page

alix

USA
434 Posts

Posted - 01/25/2013 :  14:41:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

BTW that testimonial was my parody. Pretty spot on, no? LOL I have read a thousand as you guys have too.

HaHaHa! You got me!
I agree you have to pick your battles.
I had posted a fair/mediocre review of that guy's book. The review got removed. I re-posted it and that time, I got 30 negative "not helpful votes" all within a couple of hours. My review then got buried by 5 or 6 new glowing reviews all within a day.
Go to Top of Page

susan828

USA
291 Posts

Posted - 01/25/2013 :  14:53:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am also selective as to whom I discuss this with. When I mentioned it to a girlfriend who is always in pain, she said "You sound just like the doctors who tell women it's all in your head".

Women are especially leery of hearing the word psychological because we do get this "oh another hysterical woman" attitude from doctors.

Of course, WE know and understand what TMS is all about and it isn't that mindset but to start explaining it to others...it takes a long time for them to understand the concept and many people once they hear the word "psychological", "psychosomatic" will turn off.

I did gently suggest a book to a friend who was receptive. I told her, I just ask you to read this, nothing to lose. If someone is deadset against it, I don't try to persuade them. Everyone is on their own path and like they say, you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink.

It can be frustrating, especially when it's someone we care about and by nature, we are sensitive, caring people who want others to feel better. Nice post, cakeflowfatt, I am enjoying the responses.
Go to Top of Page

pspa123

672 Posts

Posted - 01/25/2013 :  14:54:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by plum

You guys are fantastic.
I'm not going to 'fess up to some of the **** I've fallen for. This has lifted my spirits though.

My low point, well one of many, was driving 3 plus hours and paying ungodly money to a doctor who through a testing method that would take me sentences to describe told me that my neck pain was due to mercury in the joints and that my various other issues were mostly due to mercury deposited in various organs. His treatment was various drops to be taken in a precise sequence on days where I had to completely avoid exposure to electromagnetic fields. This, he said, would remove my energetic blockages, restore my cellular communication, etc., down to the DNA level. This person, a real doctor, comes across as absolutely authoritative and contemptous of conventional and alternative medicine. He claims to have had unrelenting success with conditions from Alzheimer's to autism to everything in between. How does one call bull**** on this, especially when one is very low in confidence from pain and other problems? It took me a long time to realize he was just selling placebos, and that even if had he had convinced himself he was right, his success was due to his authoritative bearing and not his actual treatments.

Edited by - pspa123 on 01/25/2013 14:56:14
Go to Top of Page

alix

USA
434 Posts

Posted - 01/25/2013 :  15:18:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
pspa: Many of them are psychopaths I believe and they will go to extreme length to befriend you and make you feel special when you are yourself so fragile. They perfectly know that a MD will give you 15 minutes max before sending you on your way with a script for Lyrica.
Go to Top of Page

pspa123

672 Posts

Posted - 01/25/2013 :  15:30:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My chiropractor (well, ex) did me a big favor when he suggested I wear a titanium necklace, like some of the baseball players do, because it would balance out my energy fields or some such jive. He is the chiro to a major professional sports team. That was an aha moment and I said to myself, time to move on from this profession, if that's what a supposedly top one is telling me.
Go to Top of Page

alix

USA
434 Posts

Posted - 01/25/2013 :  15:46:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Insane! My ex-chiro made me take homeopathic remedies (sub-lingually of course, it only works that way!) and swim in the ocean afterward to receive the energy of the universe...
To his great credit my physiatrist that was the sports doctor for a major NFL team, suggested I read Sarno.
Go to Top of Page

pspa123

672 Posts

Posted - 01/25/2013 :  15:56:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Interesting -- a physiatrist here in Boston, Dr. Eugenio Martinez, was the first person to tell me about Dr. Sarno as well. Unfortunately he spent very little time with me and it took me a while and a number of further false starts before I stopped searching for answers in other places. Been there too on the homeopathy. Even saw a couple of supposed very top ones. Of course, each recommended something else as the one remedy that fit into the tiny lock or whatever the metaphor is. There is a great article about it by Dr. Ben Goldacre. Again I am sure people get helped by it, but I am just totally skeptical it is anything but shamanism if that is even a word.
Go to Top of Page

NicoleSachsLCSW

USA
63 Posts

Posted - 01/25/2013 :  15:57:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
When I first was "cured" by Sarno's program, I was basically evangelical about Dr. Sarno. Then little by little I realized that people were really threatened by this kind of information. It rocked their worlds and their beliefs. When I talked about it with Dr. Sarno, he seemed very deflated, and warned me to go easy on people, as they would never understand unless they experienced it for themselves.

It saddened me that he felt that way, but who could blame him?? The world is a harsh place when you feel passionate about something that is so hard to understand for some people. Plus, the whole world of Orthopedic Surgery, Pain Management, Dr. Shoals Gel Insoles etc (lol) would be gone if people were really to embrace his wisdom!

Here is my best advice: Start with yourself. Speak about YOU, and don't try to convince. That way people can't get as defensive, like they're doing something wrong. It's like the classic "speak in I statements, not You statements." I like to say, "This is what worked for me, so who could blame me for being so passionate... it saved my life!" This doesn't threaten people, and perhaps they can quietly consider it for themselves.

As another poster wisely noted, "As TS Eliot wrote, "Teach us to care and not to care." It's the second half I sometimes have trouble with."

I couldn't agree more.

quote:
Originally posted by shawnsmith

We all have tried some desperate things with a view to recovering, but now that we are informed about what we need to do in order to get better, we can look back and laugh at ourselves.

Embrace your Truth, Create your Life.
Go to Top of Page

plum

United Kingdom
641 Posts

Posted - 01/25/2013 :  16:04:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My beautiful mum always says 'be the change you want to see.'

Her kindness is my inspiration. I love her so much.
Go to Top of Page

NicoleSachsLCSW

USA
63 Posts

Posted - 01/25/2013 :  16:07:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
well said, plum. it is decidedly my mantra. mom always knows.

quote:

My beautiful mum always says 'be the change you want to see.'

Her kindness is my inspiration. I love her so much.

Embrace your Truth, Create your Life.
Go to Top of Page

balto

839 Posts

Posted - 01/25/2013 :  16:08:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Like Nichol said here, I no longer try to tell people what's wrong with them, I just tell them what is wrong with me and how I got over it. I just tell them these thing only happen to intelligent, caring, and perfectionist. We are too intense for our own good. and then slowly lead them to realize that their emotion is too intense, their stress level is too high, and that caused all these intense chemical and physical changes in their bodies that created symptoms. A normal human condition caused by our intense focus on the negatives.

------------------------
No, I don't know everything. I'm just here to share my experience.
Go to Top of Page

pspa123

672 Posts

Posted - 01/25/2013 :  16:11:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sometimes I think all the wisdom of the world is in that Eliot line. I probably reflect on it more days than not. The end of the poem (Ash Wednesday) is also so powerful.

Suffer me not to be separated
And let my cry come unto Thee.

Go to Top of Page

plum

United Kingdom
641 Posts

Posted - 01/25/2013 :  16:11:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

You guys are fantastic.

My low point, well one of many, was driving 3 plus hours and paying ungodly money to a doctor who through a testing method that would take me sentences to describe told me that my neck pain was due to mercury in the joints and that my various other issues were mostly due to mercury deposited in various organs. His treatment was various drops to be taken in a precise sequence on days where I had to completely avoid exposure to electromagnetic fields. This, he said, would remove my energetic blockages, restore my cellular communication, etc., down to the DNA level. This person, a real doctor, comes across as absolutely authoritative and contemptous of conventional and alternative medicine. He claims to have had unrelenting success with conditions from Alzheimer's to autism to everything in between. How does one call bull**** on this, especially when one is very low in confidence from pain and other problems? It took me a long time to realize he was just selling placebos, and that even if had he had convinced himself he was right, his success was due to his authoritative bearing and not his actual treatments.

oy vey...

Mine includes mercury testing, past life therapy (go on. laugh it up), colonic irrigation for f**** sake...
Go to Top of Page

pspa123

672 Posts

Posted - 01/25/2013 :  16:19:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Given what I have tried I am not laughing at anybody, trust me. Lying on a table holding a metal rod while someone tested the reaction of my leg muscles to various vials containing the imprinted energetic signatures of various toxins? After that, I could not laugh (except sympathetically) at anything anyone tried. The internet is the perfect medium for modern day snake oil. And man was I a damn fool.

Edited by - pspa123 on 01/25/2013 16:20:26
Go to Top of Page

shawnsmith

Czech Republic
2048 Posts

Posted - 01/25/2013 :  16:20:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by NicoleSachsLCSW

When I talked about it with Dr. Sarno, he seemed very deflated......

Whew, even the good doctor can feel deflated by people's reactions at times. What about the rest of us?
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
TMSHelp Forum © TMSHelp.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000