TMSHelp Forum
TMSHelp Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Resources | Links | Policy
Username:
Password:

Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 TMSHelp
 TMSHelp General Forum
 Choose yr TMS battles wisely
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page  
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

mala

Hong Kong
774 Posts

Posted - 09/12/2014 :  02:32:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi everyone, I haven't posted here for a while as I have been thru a lot. My 2 main issues were back/neck pain & another pain that I had deep in my pelvis with pain upon urinating.

It is very easy to sometimes lump every kind of pain as ' TMS' pain but you have to be very careful.

My pelvis pain turned out to be 13 fibroids of varying sizes. The main 'fibroid from hell' as the dr called it was the size of an orange & was a 'broad ligament impacted fibroid' which means it was growing deep in my pelvic cavity & had attached itself onto the walls of my colon, bladder & pelvis. 'No wonder' the dr said 'u were having such pain'. I suffered 2 yrs from something that should have been surgically removed long ago. The surgery was hard ( The most excruciating post op pain ever) but the lesson that I learned is that not everything is TMS is one that I want to share with everyone especially women. please please go to yr doctor & have yrself thoroughly tested.

However I did discover something else. When I came out of the op theatre & was in the recovery room my surgeon did say something that I thought I should share . He told me the op went fine , that the situation inside was horrific & that my abdominals were very strong. He asked me what I did -I said nothing much, walking & some basic Yoga & he said 'well continue what u r doing coz its working.'

Now that did surprise me. After years of being told by various physios, trainers etc that my abs were 'really weak' I had really begun to believe what they said. Its the norm to be told that yr muscles r weak ( a big nocebo) if u have pain but if u think about it, u r still using yr muscles all day long so really they shouldn't be weak & that's a point I remember Dr Sarno making in one of his books.

So yes many conditions may be TMS but not everything is. Do rule out anything serious & deal with it asap.

Mala

"It is more important to know what sort of person has a disease than to know
what sort of disease a person has." ~ Hippocrates (460-377 B.C.)

Mala Singh Barber on Facebook

Aussie

Australia
87 Posts

Posted - 09/12/2014 :  03:28:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Mala,
That's great news I'm glad to hear the surgery has solved that issue for you.
Go to Top of Page

Peregrinus

250 Posts

Posted - 09/12/2014 :  07:50:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mala:
Thanks for sharing that! I hope your recovery is complete. Best of wishes.
Go to Top of Page

RageSootheRatio

Canada
430 Posts

Posted - 09/12/2014 :  08:25:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wow Mala ! thanks so much for posting and updating us. I have often wondered how you have been doing and am glad that your pelvic pain problem has now resolved due to surgery! Life is grand again?!!

As I recall, you HAD tried to "rule out anything serious" over the last couple of years and more than a year ago, had already seen 3 surgeons who could attest to the fibroids, but NOT that they were the cause of your pain... and that you were feeling like you wanted to avoid surgery at all costs ... (?) The conundrum was not whether you had the fibroids or not, but that none of those 3 surgeons were willing to say that they were the definitive cause of your pain and that their removal would *guarantee* the pain would end (?)

SO glad that you posted and to hear from you again!

~RSR
Go to Top of Page

andy64tms

USA
589 Posts

Posted - 09/12/2014 :  17:27:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Mala,

congratulations on your pain free recovery that was not attributed to TMS. I remember some of your posts from last year and you were having a very difficult time deciding what to do. My wife Sheila also posted her thoughts on this subject, you can review them here.

http://www.tmshelp.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=7478&SearchTerms=sheila,mala

Now that you are less stressed, I am sure your back and neck issues will improve. Indeed not everything is TMS, thanks for posting.

Andy
Past TMS Experience in 2000, with success.
Charlie Horse on neck for 20 years, is almost gone.
Books:
Healing Back Pain
Unlearn your Pain
The Great Pain Deception

Edited by - andy64tms on 09/12/2014 17:37:57
Go to Top of Page

Ace1

USA
1040 Posts

Posted - 09/13/2014 :  09:21:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi I must comment on this so one can understand the concepts of tms. The first point mala, is why did you specifically develop such bad fibroids in the first place? This is the basic question. I believe that illness in general is related to the tms concept. This does not mean that someone should not have medical attention to help temporize the person until they are able to make bigger strides in their self improvement. I believe that real physical changes which are a result of chronic strain and even injury do start to take on the patterns of tms causing more symptoms when someone is strained then when they are not. I believe based on personal experience that if one is able to not do anything about the symptom but work more on the strain and conditioning, then that problem starts to heal. I do believe that there will be people that will work on this and fail. This is not to discourage but is based on the reality of the matter. Just because one fails in one own treatment of tms does not disprove that the original condition was indeed caused by tms. I failed for a long time until I started to get it right through trial and error and it is an extremely slow process. I wish you mala continued success and good health for the future.
Go to Top of Page

altherunner

Canada
511 Posts

Posted - 09/13/2014 :  20:27:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Mala - I wish you a speedy recovery, Hope you are feeling better soon. Yoga may have really helped you all along. My daughter is teaching yoga in Australia and is a picture of health and happiness.
Best wishes to you. Al
Go to Top of Page

mala

Hong Kong
774 Posts

Posted - 09/13/2014 :  21:43:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank u all for yr good wishes.

This is what I was worried about. I read Ace's comments which Tennis Tom so kindly copied to the TMS wiki forum as well & wanted to reply . I will keep this simple as I am still recovering.

Not everything is TMS. To say that I created a disease when u cannot prove it is nothing short of arrogant & ignorant. I would be very careful what to advocate .Yes the mind MAY produce illness but its not all black & white & there is much we do not know about the whole mind body connection.

There are other factors that can contribute to disease too which we somehow tend to overlook. . Food & environment are but 2. Do u know how much crap we are eating & breathing. Water, meats are full of artificial estrogen. Plastic bottles & containers leech chemicals into what we consume. Girls are reaching puberty early, breast & other cancers are on the rise. I could go on & on. You want to ignore all this & go for plain TMS?? We r talking mind body yet so many ppl here forget the body.

If all illness is related to TMS then how do you account for disease & illness in new born babies & small children & animals????

Pls Pls be very careful what kind of message u send out. There are lots of good discussion that come out of the forum but we need to have a balanced approach & we need to know more about how te mind & body work before we can jump to any conclusions.

Also this may be a bit harsh but Ace u are saying a lot here especially for someone who has not even given his real name, nor has ever shared anything personal about his own TMS journey. If u have a medical background & have published or done research into TMS then u should'nt be so clandestine about what u post here. You post with authority but are you an authority on the subject.

Just saying.

Regards

Mala

Go to Top of Page

Ace1

USA
1040 Posts

Posted - 09/13/2014 :  22:12:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I knew that my response to your post would illicit a defensive position from you Mala which is why I ended my post with good will towards you at the end so you could see that this was not a personal attack. I'm not going to let you post a bunch of inaccurate statements just because you have failed with the TMS model. Your too deep into it to see it and I'm sorry for that, but I will not let you discourage the countless people that come on this board which is why I challenged your original post. Yes I have posted about my personal story, refer to my success story. I have remained anionmous for now bc of reasons cited before, but one day I will be public but just not until I gain more information to make my publication complete. I don't want to be here to gain notaritity I really sincerely want to help people here without anything in return which is part of my motive. What is your motive Mala to come on here and discourage others? Everyone knows to get medical attention first and then proceed with the TMS model and if something is found, add the TMS treatment on top of the medical treatment to try and treat the basic cause.

To answer your questions about animals and kids with illness, I think first of all domesticated animals are the ones whom get most of the similar illnesses as humans and are the main one with things like leukemia etc. they are ones who pick up unconscious strained habits from their owners. Did you know genes are turned on by your environment and behavior and then are passed down to offspring. This was recently published in a leading scientific journal. The environment and behavior can turn off genes too. Understanding the strain theory and turning on bad genes that are passed down could result in a child that is sick from the same basic cause.

Environmental toxins don't explain things like your fibroids otherwise most everyone who eats what you do would have them like you and that's simply not the case.

My last point is if you don't believe in TMS (for which it does not seem you've made any progress with) please go to a chronic pain forum and vent there if you cannot have someone on this forum counter your view.

Edited by - Ace1 on 09/13/2014 22:34:00
Go to Top of Page

Dave

USA
1864 Posts

Posted - 09/13/2014 :  23:35:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ace, you seem to be jumping to conclusions. Mala has never said she "does not believe in TMS." There are diseases and illnesses that are not TMS and must be ruled out. If there was a fibroid "the size of an orange" then clearly this is something that needs to be dealt with surgically. This is very different than other diagnoses such as herniated discs which may lead to unnecessary surgery.

Before treating any symptom as TMS, it is imperative to have the appropriate medical workup to rule out potentially serious conditions.
Go to Top of Page

mala

Hong Kong
774 Posts

Posted - 09/14/2014 :  02:24:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ace

quote:
I knew that my response to your post would illicit a defensive position from you Mala which is why I ended my post with good will towards you at the end so you could see that this was not a personal attack. I'm not going to let you post a bunch of inaccurate statements just because you have failed with the TMS model. Your too deep into it to see it and I'm sorry for that, but I will not let you discourage the countless people that come on this board which is why I challenged your original post. Yes I have posted about my personal story, refer to my success story. I have remained anionmous for now bc of reasons cited before, but one day I will be public but just not until I gain more information to make my publication complete. I don't want to be here to gain notaritity I really sincerely want to help people here without anything in return which is part of my motive. What is your motive Mala to come on here and discourage others? Everyone knows to get medical attention first and then proceed with the TMS model and if something is found, add the TMS treatment on top of the medical treatment to try and treat the basic cause.

To answer your questions about animals and kids with illness, I think first of all domesticated animals are the ones whom get most of the similar illnesses as humans and are the main one with things like leukemia etc. they are ones who pick up unconscious strained habits from their owners. Did you know genes are turned on by your environment and behavior and then are passed down to offspring. This was recently published in a leading scientific journal. The environment and behavior can turn off genes too. Understanding the strain theory and turning on bad genes that are passed down could result in a child that is sick from the same basic cause.

Environmental toxins don't explain things like your fibroids otherwise most everyone who eats what you do would have them like you and that's simply not the case.

My last point is if you don't believe in TMS (for which it does not seem you've made any progress with) please go to a chronic pain forum and vent there if you cannot have someone on this forum counter your view.

Thank u for yr good wishes. Personally I do not feel I have failed with the TMS model & I don't think u have any right to say that I have. Also if u look at my title it is not asking anyone to disbelieve just to be careful.

I was on this forum long before u ever were & I have posted all my ups & downs, my successes & my failures, my doubts & my beliefs & I have done so under my real name but I have NEVER EVER discouraged anyone or is it my intention to do so. The reason I posted about my operation was to encourage ppl especially women to get help at the right time. I left it late & there are some consequences as a result of that. I would not want anyone else to go thru that.

I have read yr success story & there is very little u actually say in it except for repeating yr keys. I have made the observation that u are not very forthcoming about your background & personal research & area of expertise yet this is very important because u are posting things here that need to be backed up thoroughly & with evidence if they r to be believed.

Estrogen dominance because of what we eat & also as a result of the environment is very real & may be factors that led to what I had. There have been many articles published on this. Also whatever the cause may be this was a condition that needed to be dealt with sooner rather than later.

As for yr explanation of children & animals- well it is not a very good one I'm afraid. However if u have more evidence or details I'll be happy to know more.

Finally whether I post here or not or vent elsewhere, it is not your place to tell me either way.

Mala

Edited by - mala on 09/14/2014 08:05:37
Go to Top of Page

Ace1

USA
1040 Posts

Posted - 09/14/2014 :  08:42:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dave, note on my above posts that I said it was good that she was checked out and had medical treatment. My only point was that the basic cause of the fibroids was tms related and this is a manifestation that should be treated as tms on top of the medical treatment. This is not only my opinion but dr sarno's as well.

You have to read some of Mala's previous posts to understand why I said she doesn't believe in tms. I could put them all here but I don't have time.

I told you mala not to post here only if you cannot have your views challenged without taking defense. This was a rhetorical point, not a literal one, obviously you can do anything you want, right or wrong.

We can go back and forth but that going to accomplish nothing. I think I made my points to the ones who need to hear it.

Edited by - Ace1 on 09/14/2014 08:48:17
Go to Top of Page

tennis tom

USA
4746 Posts

Posted - 09/14/2014 :  10:05:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
"...If you are experiencing chronic pain or other symptoms, you should seek treatment from a medical doctor. Diagnosis, treatment methods and other remedial steps can only be provided by a medical doctor."

The above statement is from the "POLICY" page of this site. I have to agree in defense of Ace1's views here. People can take a narrow or a broader view of TMS/psychosmatic dis-ease. I share with Ace1 a broader view of the ailments, maladies, and affective emotional conditions that ARE TMS. I always strongly suggest consulting with a TMS physician, even if it means traveling great distances even to other continents. Most of us have spent small fortunes on failed allopathic treatments, therapists, therapies and snake-oyls. It may be well worth it to travel to consult with a TMS practitioner, even combining it with a vacation, for an opinion from a TMS perspective that includes the emotional aspect of dis-ease.

If one takes a broader view of what constitutes TMS, you could say getting hit by a bus and getting broken bones would constitute real structural conditions. Viewing the event from a broader psychological view point, one may ask what subconscious gremlins created the lack of attention to being in the NOW under-lying the lack of situational awareness causing one to step in front of that bus--are there any true accidents in life?
Go to Top of Page

Ace1

USA
1040 Posts

Posted - 09/14/2014 :  11:31:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes what TT says is exactly what I'm trying to get across
Go to Top of Page

alix

USA
434 Posts

Posted - 09/14/2014 :  17:41:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
TT, I am not sure about your obsession with seeing a TMS doctor. What is a TMS doctor? There is no TMS school as far as I know. If you feel better after seeing a "TMS doctor" you know it is short term placebo effect.

Please remember how detrimental it was to both of us to see Dr.Schechter. You recommended strongly (an understatement) to another forum member to go see asap Dr.Rashbaum and that blew up in her face big time too. She got so many mixed messages from that physician.

Why do you keep insisting people rush to see a "TMS doctor" when it was such a fiasco for you?
Go to Top of Page

mala

Hong Kong
774 Posts

Posted - 09/14/2014 :  18:00:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
If one takes a broader view of what constitutes TMS, you could say getting hit by a bus and getting broken bones would constitute real structural conditions. Viewing the event from a broader psychological view point, one may ask what subconscious gremlins created the lack of attention to being in the NOW under-lying the lack of situational awareness causing one to step in front of that bus--are there any true accidents in life?

What utter drivel!!!!

Now u r saying that if I am minding my own business & get hit by a drunken driver & lose my life or suffer horrific injuries that somehow it was my subconscious that is to blame????

This is nonsense as it is dangerous.

All I wanted to say when I wrote the post was to be careful, to consider the condition carefully & deal with it in the appropriate way instead of allowing it to become worse as it did in my case. I think that was fair & accurate advice.

Mala

Go to Top of Page

tennis tom

USA
4746 Posts

Posted - 09/14/2014 :  18:23:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm sure glad I'm not your husband.
Go to Top of Page

mala

Hong Kong
774 Posts

Posted - 09/14/2014 :  18:30:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
I'm sure glad I'm not your husband.
-Tennis Tom

Wow!

Mala

Edited by - mala on 09/14/2014 18:37:53
Go to Top of Page

Darko

Australia
387 Posts

Posted - 09/14/2014 :  18:33:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The Psychology of Extremism......interesting read

http://www.healthguidance.org/entry/16426/1/The-Psychology-of-Extremism.html

Confirmation Bias

So you might start out fairly normal in your political or religious beliefs, but then fall prey to a number of psychological effects that can lead you to fall deeper down the rabbit hole. The first of these is confirmation bias. This basically refers to our tendency to ignore information that contradicts our beliefs and to only take on board that information that confirms it and enforces it. To stay moderate you need to 'seek out' the opposite view, but what many people will do instead is to read magazines and books that confirm their beliefs and only listen to the one side of the story. Of course this will then more and more cause you to become increasingly certain of your beliefs, and potentially, ultimately delusionally so.

Convergence and Divergence

Convergence refers to an individual's tendency to become more similar to members of any group they're in and this is something that is noted across the board – even your language tends to become more similar. As such if you identify strongly with a group such as a political party, you will unconsciously become more like them and this will cause you to become gradually more zealous.

Divergence meanwhile is the tendency for any group to become less similar to other groups that they know of in order presumably to forge a clearer identity and to differentiate themselves. This then means that a political party or a fan club or a religious group is likely to gradually become more and more diverse from others and this will mean coming up with more and more 'out there' concepts which the whole group is likely to agree with due to the convergence principle.

At the same time this groupthink can also lead to a dehumanizing aspect where members of opposing belief systems start to seem less like real and important people (we are able to empathise more with people more like us). In turn this can result in an 'us and them' mentality that history has proven can lead to horrendous acts of violence and even genocide.

Deep Seated Psychological Issues

At the same time extremism can be a result of various other psychological issues and if you apply a psychodynamic lens to the phenomenon then you could very well look at extreme views as a coping strategy or an ego defence mechanism. For instance, one well known defence mechanism postulated by Freud is that of 'reaction formation' which basically means that you become extremely opposed to an idea or aspect of yourself that you're not willing to accept. So yes, homophobia very often is a result of homoerotic feelings or thoughts – and someone who was to join a homophobic political party for instance then might well do so as a bid to try and 'prove' to themselves that they are straight.

BTW Mala....I didn't think there was anything wrong with your original post. Seemed pretty rational to me

Edited by - Darko on 09/14/2014 18:40:45
Go to Top of Page

alix

USA
434 Posts

Posted - 09/14/2014 :  18:42:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Was that tongue-in-cheek or are you are going completely off the rails. Please let's be serious.
Go to Top of Page

andy64tms

USA
589 Posts

Posted - 09/14/2014 :  19:04:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My wife went through the same issues in 1990 and I saw first hand the
pain, discomfort and horror It brought to our household.

I believe we should be giving congratulations to Mala here. We should be celebrating her success after many months and years of pain. She has flipped the TMS coin to make a very difficult decision to have a very fearful surgery and come out ahead. Just because it does not fit the TMS model and our own beliefs does not mean she is trying to demoralize or offend us, quite the opposite, she is actually doing a great service to the community of women.

Mala, Sheila sends you her best wishes.

Well I guess I am being pulled back into the controversial world of TMS.

Hi all

Andy
Past TMS Experience in 2000, with success.
Charlie Horse on neck for 20 years, is almost gone.
Books:
Healing Back Pain
Unlearn your Pain
The Great Pain Deception
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
TMSHelp Forum © TMSHelp.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000