TMSHelp Forum
TMSHelp Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Resources | Links | Policy
Username:
Password:

Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 TMSHelp
 TMSHelp General Forum
 Standing up for yrself & for others.
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page  
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4

alix

USA
434 Posts

Posted - 09/19/2014 :  10:21:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That was pretty funny TT.
Thanks for sharing a glimpse of your fulfilled and blessed life. That trek through two states in your luxury vehicle all wrapped in acres of fine Connolly leather and pure wool carpeting must have been exhausting.
Go to Top of Page

alix

USA
434 Posts

Posted - 09/19/2014 :  11:12:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
being to smart is a hindrance though,

You really have an inferiority complex in regards to your intellectual capabilities. It is a recurring theme of yours.
I am surprised that Don Dubin did not explore that aspect of your personality.
It is the typical telltale sign Don was on the lookout for. You must have been very guarded during your sessions with Don, reverting to just discussing Sarno theories.

I know I know. I am psychobabbling again. Sorry.
Go to Top of Page

tennis tom

USA
4746 Posts

Posted - 09/19/2014 :  11:20:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by alix

That was pretty funny TT.
Thanks for sharing a glimpse of your fulfilled and blessed life. That trek through two states in your luxury vehicle all wrapped in acres of fine Connolly leather and pure wool carpeting must have been exhausting.

No not in a Roller A, it was in a topless Jeep, when I'm going through the wilds during hunting season I take a jeep. The others are pure track cars, "cheap plastic interiors", light everything a la Colin Chapman, very "un-comfortable" cars for your average man. Getting in and out is a Yoga class in it's self--(BTW, condolences to the family of BKS Iyengar on his recent passing, but I'm sure his children will carry on his lineage, I've taken classes with Gitte)--tough on the back, lots of jarring over every bump--in other words the "E-ride" at Disneyland. Wouldn't be caught dead in a Roller or a Bentley--but, that Bentley Sport, very fast!, quite a car, been winning in the GT class--well maybe that one if it was a 'vert, or a Panamara if they come out with a 4-dr, vert, for my old days when I settle down and can't get in/out of the Elise SC.

Thanks again for listening and don't forget to update your google alerts for me.

"All my friends in Los Angeles are the sensitive type. They all have like all the diseases like Chronic Fatigue, Epstien Barr, Fibromyalgia. Like all the diseases where the only symptoms seem to be you had a really crappy childhood and at the prospect of full time work ya feel kinda achy and tired."

Posted by Skizzik @ TMSHelp from comedian Maria Bamford

Edited by - tennis tom on 09/19/2014 11:22:50
Go to Top of Page

tennis tom

USA
4746 Posts

Posted - 09/19/2014 :  11:44:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
being to smart is a hindrance though,

You really have an inferiority complex in regards to your intellectual capabilities. It is a recurring theme of yours.
I am surprised that Don Dubin did not explore that aspect of your personality.
It is the typical telltale sign Don was on the lookout for. You must have been very guarded during your sessions with Don, reverting to just discussing Sarno theories.

I know I know. I am psychobabbling again. Sorry.

A, you are PROJECTING again, actually it would be the opposite, I feel I'm smart enough for all intents and purposes. My Yoga teacher, Texas Chain-saw Tony, used to say in his Sunday morning Sermons on the Mat, while we were doing our 20 minute headstands, that his biggest challenge was: "His students knew too much".

Actually, I've chatted with several TMS psychologists over the many years since I fortuitously fell into TMS and they all judged me quite sane. Beloved departed Don Dubin told me I knew as much about TMS as anyone he'd met, (me bad, but it's just my inferiority complex talking again.

Don was a tennis player and I regret we never got to do a hit. As a matter of fact,now that you brought Don up, THE GOOD DOCTOR Sarno plays tennis, and Dr. Bruce Eisendorf (another TMS doc plays tennis)--I'm in good company--tennis keeps you humble as you can see.

A, I knew we weren't going to see eye to eye the first time you said you'd seen Don Dubin and that he didn't help you. I didn't say anything then, but since you brought him up--maybe he had a different approach with you, you do seem like you'd be a tough nut to crack--but what do I know, I've never talked to you except over a tv screen, or played tennis with you, once you've played tennis with someone you know all about them.

"All my friends in Los Angeles are the sensitive type. They all have like all the diseases like Chronic Fatigue, Epstien Barr, Fibromyalgia. Like all the diseases where the only symptoms seem to be you had a really crappy childhood and at the prospect of full time work ya feel kinda achy and tired."

P.S. I hope you're self-employed, I would hate to think you're trolling me on your boss' time, that would be unethical don't you think? Maybe you're on that 92 week unemployment thing, sounds like a good gig, I might look into it myself for some seed money to buy some penny stocks with or some of the maryjane IPO's.

Edited by - tennis tom on 09/19/2014 11:51:53
Go to Top of Page

alix

USA
434 Posts

Posted - 09/19/2014 :  13:00:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
I feel I'm smart enough for all intents and purposes.

See. You are doing it again.
You think I am questioning your intelligence. I am not. I am only pointing to your self perception.
So let me ask you. What did you do with Don Dubin during the sessions?

You discussed how Dr.Schechter is sometimes wrong with his TMS diagnosis from what I remember.
You told him about TMS and he said that you know the theory extremely well. That you were a TMS expert.
You then discussed tennis and you had a great connection there.

Anything else?

Did you tell him about your anger issues? About your urge to be seen as a good samaritan? About your inferiority complex? About how you see women? Did you explore some of your deep emotions?

What were your expectations before seeing Don? What did seeing Don accomplish for you?

Edited by - alix on 09/19/2014 14:04:22
Go to Top of Page

tennis tom

USA
4746 Posts

Posted - 09/19/2014 :  19:31:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
I feel I'm smart enough for all intents and purposes.

See. You are doing it again.
You think I am questioning your intelligence. I am not. I am only pointing to your self perception.
So let me ask you. What did you do with Don Dubin during the sessions?

You discussed how Dr.Schechter is sometimes wrong with his TMS diagnosis from what I remember.
You told him about TMS and he said that you know the theory extremely well. That you were a TMS expert.
You then discussed tennis and you had a great connection there.

Anything else?

Did you tell him about your anger issues? About your urge to be seen as a good samaritan? About your inferiority complex? About how you see women? Did you explore some of your deep emotions?

What were your expectations before seeing Don? What did seeing Don accomplish for you?

Dr. A, although I'm not communicating with you, do you know what a backhanded compliment is? I'm sure you do. Pay me $5,000 and I'll be glad to answer all your questions--your BH is just fine, but thanks for taking valuable time from your busy day--or your boss' to formulate them. Ass, gas or grass but no one rides for free. Or, pay me $5,000 and I'll teach you to serve like Roscoe Tanner or Serena Williams. BTW I love women and they love me. How do you feel about women?

Edited by - tennis tom on 09/19/2014 19:41:51
Go to Top of Page

alix

USA
434 Posts

Posted - 09/19/2014 :  23:23:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
TT, I am neither trying to humiliate, tease you, or whatever. I am dead serious. Those are things Don Dubin should have explored with you. He did not do his job.

You just can't stand emotions. Think about it. You read my post then you get angry. What happened just before you got angry?

-You felt disrespected
-You felt attacked
-You felt that your belief system was being challenged
-You felt... etc...

Then you get angry. Your anger is repressing all the emotions that you felt for a split second. See how that works. Anger is not an emotion. It is a defense mechanism so you don't feel emotions, you repress them.
You are TMSing like crazy my dear.

Edited by - alix on 09/20/2014 01:01:46
Go to Top of Page

alix

USA
434 Posts

Posted - 09/20/2014 :  00:27:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mala, my apologies again. I promise, I won't derail another one of your threads.

Tom, you asked me a lot of questions too about who I am, what I do etc... Let me answer them. I worked in high energy physics at CERN in Geneva. I then moved to more lucrative but less interesting things. Let me reassure you, none of your tax dollars are subsidizing me.
Yes I am self employed and I live very close to you in fact.

I am pain free and I cannot thank enough Dave, Monte Hueftle, and Abigail Steidley. One of Dave's post showed the 4 points to be followed very clearly, Abigail's ebook demonstrated how to attend to my emotions, and Monte's newsletters showed me how to stop those patterns of repression.

Great, great stuff.

There were 3 phases to my TMS journey.

10 years ago, I did it all by the book. I read and reread MBP. I watched the video countless times. I did worksheets. I went to a TMS doctor. I had 24 sessions with Don Dubin, TMS psychologist. I did that for 2 years and I went nowhere with it.

In late 2012, I went another way. I started with a practitioner that helped me find repressed memories. I combined that with Eckhart Tolle, live in the now etc... It worked to some extent but by mid 2013, I had disturbing TMS equivalents.

But then, Monte's incredible insight combined with Abigail's simple and straightforward instructions helped me reconnect with my emotions and discharge them. It just clicked. Pain gone. Fantastic.
I continue to attend to my emotions constantly though. A very small price to pay for a pain free life.
Go to Top of Page

mala

Hong Kong
774 Posts

Posted - 09/20/2014 :  04:50:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Alix, don't worry! Its OK

Glad to hear u r pain free.

CERN sounds impressive but all I know is from what I read in Angels & Demons & all that antimatter stuff in the novel.

Mala

"It is more important to know what sort of person has a disease than to know
what sort of disease a person has." ~ Hippocrates (460-377 B.C.)

Mala Singh Barber on Facebook
Go to Top of Page

tennis tom

USA
4746 Posts

Posted - 09/20/2014 :  07:51:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dr. A, u are making a lot of assumptions about me and my inner psyche based on what you think you know about me--no I don't get angry at what you say about me--I just chuckle. I'm familiar with all the folks you mentioned, read them, seen them in person or talked with them.

I have banished many TMS symptoms on a daily basis and helped others. My hip may well be arthritis, that's been dx'ed by two TMS docs. TMS thinking has given me a great placebo effect overcoming excruciating pain to function at an extremely high level of achievement.

Medicine is called a practice, I'm waiting around for the white-coats to finish their practicing to become pros, as I strive for in whatever my endeavors, playing tennis, running a successful business, driving fast cars, doing the back-stroke, yoga, making love or whatever I decide that I want to do--and not what socio-cultural norms or PC dictate I should be doing. PC is the current meme fashion, urban myths, the chorus, media propaganda. It goes out of style as the "fashion leaders" like the Kardashians, NYT, Vanity Fair, Rolling Stone, Wired, MTV etc., dictate. Levis are in for a while then expensive jeans with holes in them and fancy designs on butt pockets, so the have's can differentiate themselves from the un-cool--those who purchased or shoplifted there's on Melrose Blvd. or the El Paseo vs those who got there's at Khol's or Ross.

BMW's are big for a while until the fashion police decide too many have them so they switch to Audis (pieces of ****, ask any tow truck driver). What your average social animal thinks is the same. Their thoughts are not their own, but what is dictated by the PC police.

Back to you Dr. A, although we're not communicating remember?. My coffee and pastry strudel got cold so I'm done for now. Damn, Dr. A, I blame you entirely for my coffee and pastry streudel getting cold and I will hold this against you 'til the day I die--maybe from necrosis--but I'm willing to take the gamble.

I've played too much tennis with doc's to believe all their calls. I've played tennis against political poll takers--their calls are +/- three percent. Dr. A, once again thanks for helping me draft my book, I might even give you a mention in the dedication page.

P.S. There's a couple of TMS practitioner's in "our" area, Dr. Dave Clarke (not one of the 5) a psychotherapist and Dr. Parvez Fateh, M.D. Have you tried them, just curious? I've never had the need for a TMS therapist since talking with beloved departed Don--not to say that life's vicissitudes may not present me with the need for one someday--that would be hubris and no need to unnecessarily make the God's unhappy.

I will share an anecdote about Don. On a visit he opened up with "Tom what if I told you I was an ass-hole!?!"--him not me just in case you weren't sure. I was taken aback for a moment, and replied, "Don, I think we can all be ass-holes at times depending upon the situation." --he left it at that.

Dr. A, I did no where near as many sessions with dear Dr.Dubin as you did, about three at his office in Beverly Hills and a couple more by phone while on the road, parked by the Pacific Ocean, watching the waves break. He said the most sessions he's ever had to do to teach TMS fundamentals was a dozen. If you did 24 and still didn't comprehend then you must be a tough nut to crack. I don't think you can blame Don for that, maybe it's you. Some people can get TMS by reading books that don't cost a whole lot while others need the reassurance of spending a lot of money with TMS practitioners in person--whatever works and the purse allows.

I seem to be a lightening rod here for a small few of you who have a BIG voice. The majority of all forum members lurk. I know I've helped many here, see the success stories and they go on to other endeavors. I do get many pm's from members who enjoy the entertainment value of these pissing matches and it obviously is good for the SEO of the site. There SHOULD be two TMS sites, COMPETITION is GOOD--it improves the breed--social Darwinism at it's best--versus ENABLING. "Your enemy who tells you the truth, is a better friend, then your "friend" who lies to you.

Normally I would invite people who live in OUR area or travelling through for a TMS get together and chat TMS or whatever. I gave it a thought with you, but in all TMS honesty I don't really want to meet you. You and your pals irrational enmity towards me does not prompt me to want to pick up a dinner or bar tab.

I know for certain 99% of my posts here are selflessly conveying the TMS fundamentals, as Dr. Sarno wrote them, otherwise Dave would have given me the boot a long time ago. Only 1% I write is in reply to the vitriol heaped at me by a vocal miniscule minority. I never fire the first salvo but I not going to be anyone's virtual reality punching bag--from the other side of the playing field I realize it's hard to tell who the idiot is--it's hard to tell the players without a program.

Edited by - tennis tom on 09/20/2014 09:26:34
Go to Top of Page

alix

USA
434 Posts

Posted - 09/20/2014 :  09:11:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Tom, You have done the same routine for 15 years (what I have done unsuccessfully for 2 years). Maybe it is arthritis but there is a chance it is not or TMS has an aggravating effect on the pain.

Why wouldn't you try something a bit different? Close those books and feel your emotions. You said that we all repress emotions and that it is human nature. True but you can discharge whatever you identify and you can stop repressing emotions like you do when you answer my posts.

This is what Dave said in one of his posts:

4)Whenever you are aware of the pain, remind yourself it is psychogenic and ignore it. It is nothing more than a
nuisance. Try to think about what is going on in your life that might be affecting you on an emotional level deeper than you realize.

This is simply what I did. In addition Abigail teaches you what to do to discharge emotions.

No, I have not seem Dr.Clarke and Dr.Parveh. Why would I see them? I have not read Nicole's book. I don't need a practitioner. I don't need to read any more book (I have read 8 of them, all slightly conflicting). I am done. I experience no pain.

Regarding Don, he said at the beginning that we would explore my emotions. He did but it was way too superficial in retrospect to have any effect and he never pushed me like he should have. I know 2 more people that were not successful with Don. One did 24 sessions. The other 12 sessions. Don had no idea if he cured us or not. We never told him either way. He never sent us an anonymous questionnaire.
You have seen Don. he did not heal you either.

You know, the seeing a TMS doctor and reading and re-reading HBP book might have worked during the pre-internet days when information was scarce. But with our 24/7 access to conflicting information on the net, the 20 or so TMS books available, that methodology has just not worked for the people I know.

Edited by - alix on 09/20/2014 09:39:51
Go to Top of Page

alix

USA
434 Posts

Posted - 09/20/2014 :  09:16:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Mala. There are big egos at CERN. Fortunately, I was only designing the instrumentation for the experiments. You can visit it though. It is quite interesting.
Go to Top of Page

tennis tom

USA
4746 Posts

Posted - 09/20/2014 :  09:36:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

4)Whenever you are aware of the pain, remind yourself it is psychogenic and ignore it. It is nothing more than a
nuisance. Try to think about what is going on in your life that might be affecting you on an emotional level deeper than you realize.

Dr. A, that's exactly what I preach and do, I think you have mistaken me for someone else, I am flattered by your obsession with me though--send money!--I have an uncle who's a King in Nigeria who needs to get it out of the country before the terrorists reach him--I'll split it with you, all you need to do is put up some good faith money of your own. As soon as you do your share will be in a bag on the roof of a Volvo on Shattuck Ave. I'll send you the bank account to place it in in a future post.

You may want to look up the meaning of PROJECTION in a dictionary of psychology.

I fear you mistake ANGER for PASSION. It seems the meme in our area to do so. Whenever someone expresses a passionate view about a topic like religion, sex or politics in our area, the PC police turn it into a GOTCHA' moment and walk away from what may have been a meaningful discussion--how's the weather BTW?

Edited by - tennis tom on 09/20/2014 09:45:34
Go to Top of Page

alix

USA
434 Posts

Posted - 09/20/2014 :  09:47:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Dr. A, that's exactly what I preach and do,

Tom, you advice people to go consult TMS doctors, see TMS psychologists, and read more TMS books.

You do not advice them to simply connect with their emotions. You do not advice them to feel their emotions at the visceral level. You do not advice them to discharge the emotions they can identify. You do not advice them to avoid repressing their emotions.

The key part of what Dave said is the following:
"Try to think about what is going on in your life that might be affecting you on an emotional level deeper than you realize."

Once you do that, you can use Abigail's method to discharge the emotional content.

ps: ANGER-PASSION-MOCKERY-CHUCKLING you can put any label you want on what you do which is to repress emotions. You clearly don't believe me which means your mind is doing a heck of a job at repressing your emotions.

Edited by - alix on 09/20/2014 14:37:41
Go to Top of Page

Ace1

USA
1040 Posts

Posted - 09/20/2014 :  15:10:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mala
When I first responded to your post I genuinely did not mean to attack you personally. My question was more like, why does ANYONE get fibroids in the first place. It was a question to have you thinking about the origins. Then, I made a point that not everyone will be able to overcome their tms symptoms and just because one (not necessarly you) is unable to, this doesn't prove it is not tms. I think Dave touches on this fact in another recent post. That was all. It was a disagreement with what you said that fibroids are not tms. Now of course the fibroids caused your pain and it was good that you had medical treatment, I was addressing the basic cause. Why would I want to attack you? I have tried to help you in the past. Like Dave said it is part of the tms personality to take something more sensitively. Once again this is not an attack but a fact. Now to claim that someone ignorant etc, that is a blatant attack and there is no other interpretation. I know that for some the confidence in which I convey my opinion bothers them. This is because I am completely convinced on what I'm saying and dr sarno told me personally that he shares my thoughts on what is tms. TT is right, if dr sarno was on here anonymously, he would likely be mistreated. Thanks balto, TT, and Indiana for your support. Darko if you felt like you didn't attack me and I attacked you because you told me some facts, go back and read your post again.

Edited by - Ace1 on 09/21/2014 08:24:32
Go to Top of Page

tennis tom

USA
4746 Posts

Posted - 09/20/2014 :  15:10:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dear Dr. Ax, although we are not speaking, i : (the hungry intellectual), you're from our area, you do remember Enrico Bandeucci don't you? I have two words for you--READING COMPREHENSION--please review my 4,000 or so posts-but whose counting--it's about quality not quantity, it's the software that counts the posts, any 500 monkeys could gather together and do a post (do monkeys get TMS, or do they spit and throw their feces at humans at the zoo for the fun of it or because they are angry? Answer me that one Dr. Ax.!)

Pardon the seguey or is it segway, I gave my editor the day off for the Sabbath. If you CAREFULLY re-read my 4,000 or so posts, I always recommend the TMS fundamentals, but only when that fails, and you can relate to that do I recommend psychotherapy. Of course the boiler plate is to get symptoms ALWAYS checked out by a competent physician so you don't sue the tennis players here or the engineers for internet pissing match malpractice. As long as your're going to see a doc, you might as well seek out the best and seek out a TMS physician for as much of an objective dx that will include the MIND part of the MINDBODY equation--good luck finding one, they are few and far between. Even they may get it wrong, they're only human too and and nobody's perfect although TMS'er try too hard to be.

I never tell anyone that they have TMS, only an idiot would dx people over the internet for physical or mental disorders, especially when they are NOT professionals.

So, in closing Dr. Ax., although we are not talking reader deeper into my past posts, their may be another 1,500 in the old archives, maybe you can get Dave to show you how to access them, because I never said what you think I said.

P.S. Dr. Ax I played four hours of tennis since my previous post to you, what did you do--meditate?

Edited by - tennis tom on 09/20/2014 15:17:55
Go to Top of Page

alix

USA
434 Posts

Posted - 09/20/2014 :  15:26:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
To be diagnosed by competent medical professionals is an absolute given. It is the prerequisite we all agree on. It would be silly for me to mention it. Of course you need to be examined first.
Of course you have to believe in the psychogenic nature of the beast.
Of course you have to discontinue physical treatments.

What I am talking about is the emotional side, Tom. I have never seen you address emotions. I have never seen you recommend people to sit with their emotions. To experience them. To feel them.

Do you follow me at all or do you think I am psychobabbling?

If you think I am psychobabbling then go read that post from Monte Hueftle:
http://www.tmshelp.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=8956

Read where he speaks about "sitting with emotions". It is what set me free Tom.
Go to Top of Page

Darko

Australia
387 Posts

Posted - 09/20/2014 :  16:00:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ace, I'm not in the business of picking fights on here, I hardly post because of the childishness these days ..... Would you kindly point out exactly how you felt I was attacking you? I know I certainly didn't insult you or cast aspersions!!!

You must remember it's words on a screen....and you put the tone to them. I was simply stating that the situation escalated because you confronted/accused someone on something that might be a sensitive topic for that person......which is completely unnecessary.....this is factual, is it not?? It's more a function of your own ego.....and that's where you were responsible. There was no story or attack behind it, but simply a conversation about responsibility.....you know....that thing no one has these days?? What Mala said was not a completely stupid thing to say considering posts like this.

http://www.tmshelp.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=9036
Not one of you have had the balls to respond to him......yet when Mala suggests you do more work in the physical before assuming it's TMS she's virtually branded incompetent. Is it me, am I the only one that thinks this is completely retarded? Maybe I'm seeing things wrong here? If you think she caused the issue emotionally that's fine that's your opinion, but that FACT was her pain appears to be of physical origin.....and she's had plenty of support from others.

That post should be at the top of the forum forever as a reminder to all. Jeff probably thinks TMS is just driven by a bunch of ill informed extremist whackos....perhaps he's right. These opinions don't serve us well, especially when we have family members that have TMS and think it's all BS because they hear stories like this.

It may seem obvious to some of us but when you have desperate and fearful people ( not saying Jeff is ) who are suffering and a bunch of "experts" claiming everything is TMS, when they clearly don't have the experience to do so, then I think that's a very dangerous and foolish situation.....people loosely claiming things like auto-immune disease, CVD and cancer are all the sole result of TMS is complete and total garbage.

Evidence please???

No doubt you've been around longer than me......people tend to get a little on the attacky side when they feel they've been confronted, rightly or wrongly. Case in point your reply, that's why I suggested you maybe avoid doing it in the future...

I'm sorry if I came across rude....I'm very direct. fluffy words take time, and my time is important to me.

D

Edited by - Darko on 09/20/2014 17:34:30
Go to Top of Page

tennis tom

USA
4746 Posts

Posted - 09/20/2014 :  17:05:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Where this thread went off the rails was when Ace1 introduced a broader explanation for the possible origins of TMS mindbody dis-ease. This could be viewed as an existential explanation that is supported by references to more serious mindbody dis-eases such as cancer and auto-immune disorders in Dr. Sarno's books. The OP misinterpreted what Ace1 said although he couched it in very general terms so as to deliberately not offend the OP. People should read the TMS literature more fully to grasp a greater, deeper insight into TMS and how many structural as well as allopathic conditions it can create/treat through the human will and spirit.

From the Wiki:

Psychoanalysis and psychotherapy

Main article: Existential therapy

A major offshoot of existentialism as a philosophy is existentialist psychology and psychoanalysis, which first crystallized in the work of Otto Rank, Freud's closest associate for 20 years. Without awareness of the writings of Rank, Ludwig Binswanger was influenced by Freud, Edmund Husserl, Heidegger, and Sartre. A later figure was Viktor Frankl, who briefly met Freud and studied with Jung as a young man.[84] His logotherapy can be regarded as a form of existentialist therapy.

The existentialists would also influence social psychology, antipositivist micro-sociology, symbolic interactionism, and post-structuralism, with the work of thinkers such as Georg Simmel[85] and Michel Foucault. Foucault was a great reader of Kierkegaard even though he almost never refers this author, who nonetheless had for him an importance as secret as it was decisive.[86]

An early contributor to existentialist psychology in the United States was Rollo May, who was strongly influenced by Kierkegaard and Otto Rank. One of the most prolific writers on techniques and theory of existentialist psychology in the USA is Irvin D. Yalom. Yalom states that

Aside from their reaction against Freud's mechanistic, deterministic model of the mind and their assumption of a phenomenological approach in therapy, the existentialist analysts have little in common and have never been regarded as a cohesive ideological school. These thinkers - who include Ludwig Binswanger, Medard Boss, Eugène Minkowski, V.E. Gebsattel, Roland Kuhn, G. Caruso, F.T. Buytendijk, G. Bally and Victor Frankl - were almost entirely unknown to the American psychotherapeutic community until Rollo May's highly influential 1985 book Existence - and especially his introductory essay - introduced their work into this country.[87]

A more recent contributor to the development of a European version of existentialist psychotherapy is the British-based Emmy van Deurzen.
Anxiety's importance in existentialism makes it a popular topic in psychotherapy. Therapists often offer existentialist philosophy as an explanation for anxiety. The assertion is that anxiety is manifested of an individual's complete freedom to decide, and complete responsibility for the outcome of such decisions. Psychotherapists using an existentialist approach believe that a patient can harness his anxiety and use it constructively. Instead of suppressing anxiety, patients are advised to use it as grounds for change. By embracing anxiety as inevitable, a person can use it to achieve his full potential in life. Humanistic psychology also had major impetus from existentialist psychology and shares many of the fundamental tenets. Terror management theory, based on the writings of Ernest Becker and Otto Rank, is a developing area of study within the academic study of psychology. It looks at what researchers claim are implicit emotional reactions of people confronted with the knowledge that they will eventually die.
Go to Top of Page

tennis tom

USA
4746 Posts

Posted - 09/20/2014 :  17:30:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

What I am talking about is the emotional side, Tom. I have never seen you address emotions. I have never seen you recommend people to sit with their emotions. To experience them. To feel them.

Once again review my 4,000 plus posts and you will see that's exactly what I always recommended: "When you feel the pain think psychological." I'm using the word psychological as a synonym for emotionally--maybe that's what you're getting hung-up on, a word. A, you are beating a dead horse, what's the definition of crazy, doing/saying the same thing over and over and expecting a different outcome. As they say A: LET GO OF IT!.

As for "sitting" with the emotions, I guess I move with the emotions, I take it in stride and keep on truckin'. I've done a lot of meditation with some of the great teachers like Dr. Richard Miller and Georg Feuerstein, regretfully departed from this planet all too soon. Maybe you mean when you get a symptom stop, grab a pillow, sit in the posture of Buddha Vairochana and do the mudras. Been there done that, I can think emotional/psychlogical and chew gum at the same time or hit a 120 mph+ serve. A, I think the problem may be that w're not on the same page.

'nuff for now, got's to do my afternoon practice and stretch out in the pool with some back-stroke. Saturday nitz coming on soon, my gf's on the way over and got to take a shower and shave.

Cheers mates,
tt/lsmft

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
TMSHelp Forum © TMSHelp.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000