TMSHelp Forum
TMSHelp Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Resources | Links | Policy
Username:
Password:

Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 TMSHelp
 TMSHelp General Forum
 Chemical Sensitivity
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Noraloui

9 Posts

Posted - 09/19/2015 :  17:43:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Its been a long time since I posted on this site. I've had a number of TMS symptoms such as knee problems, tms, skin problems and very bad insomnia. I've managed to get rid of most of them, but still plagued with insomnia from time to time. I've now encountered a unique, to me, problem. I purchased a new couch and after a few days I started to have respiratory symptoms. My nasal passages and mouth became quite inflamed. I tried a few of these odor removal gels and baking soda but nothing worked. I put it in the garage, where it's been for 2 months, but I still smell it. By the way, no one else smells anything! Since I need a couch in my home I then purchased a leather one, thinking my reaction to the first one, which was fabric. was unique. Well, you guessed it. It has a strong leather odor and I am having the same symptoms. The store will give me credit for another couch, but at this point I am gun shy.

I've done some research and know that there are a lot of chemicals in furniture now, but I am starting to think this is another TMS symptom.
I do not have any allergies, but I know allergies can be TMS. Has anyone else here ever experienced anything like this? Thanks for your help.

tennis tom

USA
4746 Posts

Posted - 09/19/2015 :  20:42:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dr. Sarno cites an experiment where they had people with allergies to roses in a room and they would react to them. Plastic roses were then substituted and they would have the same allergy reactions. This could be your case. Personally I don't think there's anything wrong with your couches, you may just be reacting to the "new couch smell".

Here's a great article about sleep:

http://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-16964783

Edited by - tennis tom on 09/19/2015 20:49:37
Go to Top of Page

filipe

Portugal
280 Posts

Posted - 09/20/2015 :  00:30:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I also suffer from chemical sensitivity. For me this is real. I cannot stand the smell of belach, or other chemicals.

I don't know if you can call this a desease but I cannot stand being near some odors while other can. For instances, once my wife put bleach on the floor before we go to sleep. I couldn't sleep in that room. The samed happened, if someone applies wax, or if the bedroom was painted recentely. When this happens the people that are with me aren't affected by the smell. On the other hand, I often smell something burning, or some kind of smells while others can't. I cannot stand the smell of perfume, so this is real. I'm also allergic to cats, chinese food (glutamats) and Electromagnetic Radiation.

Why am I so sure that this is real, for me at least? Because I never heard about people being allergic to cats, or Electromagnetic Radiation, and sitll developed symptoms. In fact, I always make fun about people with allergies. I never heard about Electromagnetic Radiation, never.... I used cell phones, wifi, you name it. I sleep with my cell phone by my side. I had stange symptoms, that I never related to Electromagnetic Radiation. And one day I did a MRI exam, and I had the same kind of reaction as I did with cats. But this time the symtoms took years to go away. Can anyone explain me this? I did Xrays, CT scans, and never had a reaction to them. But to MRIs there are loads of people that develope symptoms, like mines. Is everybody alucinating? My explantion to this is that I'm more sensitive to EMFs, and to smells, that is why I can smell certain oders that most people can't. I don't know if I can feel electricity in the air, but i do run away from it. If you put your hand on an outlet electrical, I'm sure you fel a electric shock. So you also sensitive to electricity, rigth? I'M TELLING THE TRUTH...

Edited by - filipe on 09/20/2015 00:32:46
Go to Top of Page

tennis tom

USA
4746 Posts

Posted - 09/20/2015 :  00:43:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
TMS is REAL! But, the symptoms originate in the sub-conscious mind and then exhibit structurally in the body as psychosomatic defense mechanism distractions.
Go to Top of Page

filipe

Portugal
280 Posts

Posted - 09/20/2015 :  02:31:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by tennis tom

TMS is REAL! But, the symptoms originate in the sub-conscious mind and then exhibit structurally in the body as psychosomatic defense mechanism distractions.

After people are exposed, like I was to Electromagnetic Radiation, they performed punsh skyn biopsies, and their nerve fibers have been destroyd... This is a fact. Electomagnetic radiation destroys nerve fibers... If you go to the beach without putting a a cream to rptect you from the sun, you will get sun burned, but there are people that don't...

What I find completely revolting, when people says EMH is not real, is that they always refer to the same type of studies, that aren't objective. Such as studies, that ask people if they are feeling anything in the presence of Electromgbnetic Radiation. I never felt a thing when I did the MRI. It was completely ok for me. I was relaxed. The problem stated hours after the exam. Skyn byopies are objective. You cannot fake a bronke boné, like you cannot fake nerve fibers damage. My nerve fibers were damage, and I could prove it with this exam (skyn byopsy). But this kinf of studies are completely being ingnored by people who say EMF don't cause anything...

http://www.aafp.org/afp/2002/0315/p1155.html

Edited by - filipe on 09/20/2015 02:33:48
Go to Top of Page

Noraloui

9 Posts

Posted - 09/20/2015 :  06:16:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for responding. I do know that my symptoms are real. I doubt that they are from "new couch smell" as I've had the first couch in the garage for 2 months now. A friend is being gifted with this. I'm wondering if this is another manifestation of TMS. I've been under some stress for the last few months and now am obsessing with this as I don't know what to do next. I can't continue buying and returning furniture.
Go to Top of Page

tennis tom

USA
4746 Posts

Posted - 09/20/2015 :  09:26:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by filipe

quote:
Originally posted by tennis tom

What I find completely reVOLTing, when people says EMH is not real, is that they always refer to the same type of studies, that aren't objective.

felipe, you can believe the "objective" lies you want to believe and I'll believe the subjective lies I want to believe.
Go to Top of Page

tennis tom

USA
4746 Posts

Posted - 09/20/2015 :  09:37:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Noraloui

... I do know that my symptoms are real. I doubt that they are from "new couch smell" as I've had the first couch in the garage for 2 months now.

...I'm wondering if this is another manifestation of TMS.

... I've been under some stress for the last few months and now am obsessing with this as I don't know what to do next.

TMS symptoms ARE REAL!

I don't know for sure, since I haven't sniffed your couch, but it's most likely TMS--What answer were you expecting at a TMS board?--Don't ask a barber if you need a haircut.

Couch OCD, a rare but real TMS distraction. Dr. Sarno cured Howard stern of his OCD, too bad the Good Doctor's retired, hopefully to playing tennis.

What should you do next? Maybe you need to seek out a TMS therapist and lie on their couch for a few sessions.

Edited by - tennis tom on 09/20/2015 09:39:13
Go to Top of Page

filipe

Portugal
280 Posts

Posted - 09/21/2015 :  04:52:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
[/quote]

felipe, you can believe the "objective" lies you want to believe and I'll believe the subjective lies I want to believe.
[/quote]

Don't take it so personaly. I was referng to quackwatch and to wikipedia.

What I mean was, for instances, If there was a study that said that after you drank water, you broke a bone, and it can be confirmed objectively with Xrays taken some minutes after one drinking water (you can watch the bone really cracking), or if there was study saying that people said they feel funny after drinking water. Which one do you beleive? Which one is more objective?

I'm telling that Electromagnetic Hypersensitivity can be proved, and it had already been proved, with a byopsy of the skin after exposure, and this had been completely covered up... The people always present the same stupid study, that say, that people reported suffering symptoms due to Electromagnetic radiation, when they weren't, after all, being exposed to EMFs... this doesn't soun scientific... Instead of asking people, why don't they examin their bodys?

Please take a look at this study:

http://www.eesc.europa.eu/resources/docs/olle-johansson---4th-nov.pdf

The effects of Electromagnetic Radiation in the body can be proven right now, and there is a simple procedure to prove it... is is like a X-ray...

Go to Top of Page

tennis tom

USA
4746 Posts

Posted - 09/21/2015 :  09:40:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Don't worry I don't take ANYTHING said over the internet personally, otherwise I wouldn't have lasted around here as long as I have.

The study you refer to is the same type of study showing that TMS operates on a single cell level. So, the EMG sensitivity you are experiencing could just as well be caused by TMS. If you go back to your Sarno books, you will find the lab study the Good Doctor refers to. It was from Scandinavia, if I recall, where all the "best" studies come from. In a test-tube, they found that one cell organisms were subject to external stress to their homeostasis. Their external membranes, covered with cilia, would react defensively. Look it up in your Sarno.

==================================================

TAKE THE HOLMES-RAHE STRESS TEST
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Holmes_and_Rahe_stress_scale

Some of my favorite excerpts from _THE DIVIDED MIND_ :
http://www.tmshelp.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=2605

==================================================

"It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society." Jiddu Krishnamurti

"Pain is inevitable; suffering is optional." Author Unknown

“You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation” – Plato

"Happy People Are Happy Putters." Frank Nobilo, Golf Analyst

"Be careful about reading health books. You may die of a misprint." Mark Twain and Balto

"The hot-dog is the noblest of dogs; it feeds the hand that bites it." Dr. Laurence Johnston Peter

"...the human emotional system was not designed to endure the mental rigors of a tennis match." Dr. Allen Fox

"Where ignorance is bliss, 'tis folly to be wise" - Thomas Gray

"All my friends in Los Angeles are the sensitive type. They all have like all the diseases like Chronic Fatigue, Epstien Barr, Fibromyalgia. Like all the diseases where the only symptoms seem to be you had a really crappy childhood and at the prospect of full time work ya feel kinda achy and tired."

Posted by Skizzik @ TMSHelp from comedian Maria Bamford

======================================================

"If it ends with "itis" or "algia" or "syndrome" and doctors can't figure out what causes it, then it might be TMS." Dave the Mod

=================================================

TMS PRACTITIONERS:

John Sarno, MD
400 E 34th St, New York, NY 10016
(212) 263-6035

Dr. Sarno is now retired, if you call this number you will be referred to his associate Dr. Rashbaum.

"...there are so many things little and big that are tms, I wouldn't have time to write about all of them": Told to icelikeaninja by Dr. Sarno

Here's the TMS practitioners list from the TMS Help Forum:
http://www.tmshelp.com/links.htm

Here's a list of TMS practitioners from the TMS Wiki:
http://tmswiki.org/ppd/Find_a_TMS_Doctor_or_Therapist

Edited by - tennis tom on 09/21/2015 09:43:09
Go to Top of Page

Wavy Soul

USA
779 Posts

Posted - 10/01/2015 :  00:50:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Everyone is right here: chemical sensitivity is a real experience, and it can feel demeaning and shaming to be told it isn’t. On the other hand, if you fear it and focus on it, it creates more sensitivity and you get that loop that is taught about in the Gupta Trainings (excellent, by the way!). And if you unfear it, you can become more resilient.

I have really fought against believing in MCS, and at the same time, I have been sensitive to certain things since I was a child, with no knowledge of such things. But I’m talking about really toxic things like dry-cleaning fluid. My mum used to send me down to the corner Laundromat in London to get clothes dry-cleaned. I passed out from the fumes, and after that other chemical smells gave me heeby jeebies.

But of course, the human body is resilient, especially if you DECIDE that it is! I watched a good friend go down the slippery path into MCS, to the point that he was sleeping on my porch and basically homeless and unable to work. He was very, very intelligent, but refused to look at Sarno, or at least believe him, out of some sense of pride. He was a great teacher to me, and made me very determined not to go there, as I was already dealing with early-stage MCS appearance.

A couple of years ago I spent a few months in London before my mum died, and I spent hours every day on the Tube (subway) because I didn’t have anywhere much to go. The air down there is awful, and there are chemical smells and too many people, and many times I felt as though I was going to pass out or get ill. But it really wasn’t an option, so I deliberately tried to tune in to the energy within the air, instead of the toxic-smelling air. It worked. I became less sensitive.

Sometimes with this stuff I’ve found you have to be willing to fight for your life, or fear itself will kill you.

Love is the answer, whatever the question
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
TMSHelp Forum © TMSHelp.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000