TMSHelp Forum
TMSHelp Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Resources | Links | Policy
Username:
Password:

Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 TMSHelp
 TMSHelp General Forum
 Can TMS affect abdominal muscles?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

ladylazarus

2 Posts

Posted - 10/23/2015 :  14:56:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi everyone, I'm new to Dr Sarno's books and am finding them very enlightening! I've read The Mindbody Prescription and am now reading Healing Back Pain.

I don't have back pain, but I think I have at least a TMS equivalent. I feel the muscles in or around my stomach are constantly tensed, or even dead/paralysed. It hasn't gone away for one second in 3 years. I've seen countless doctors, but no tests have come up with anything. I am never comfortable, and have had to quit my career (singing) and I barely leave the house. It's awful being so inactive at the age of 27 for no discernible reason! I also have vague digestive issues, but nothing bowel-related so I was never diagnosed with IBS. It could just be a set of muscles in my abdomen that are acting up.

What I'm wondering is, does anyone know why Dr Sarno says TMS only affects neck, back, shoulders etc. muscles? It seems that the restriction of blood flow could very well apply in my case, but if TMS definitely only affects those muscles then at most I have a "TMS-equivalent" and I can't be sure what is happening in my scenario.

One thing of note is that I had an eating disorder, and I always thought this pain was caused by that. But doctors say it would have healed years ago if that were the case. Thing is, if TMS were to masquerade as a real physical issue, the abdomen would be the place to do it.

Thanks for reading!

tennis tom

USA
4746 Posts

Posted - 10/26/2015 :  10:07:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ladylazarus

What I'm wondering is, does anyone know why Dr Sarno says TMS only affects neck, back, shoulders etc. muscles? It seems that the restriction of blood flow could very well apply in my case, but if TMS definitely only affects those muscles then at most I have a "TMS-equivalent" and I can't be sure what is happening in my scenario.

Well it's been days since you've posted and no replies, at this point I would recommend looking for other TMS sites or hitting the books for your answers. Feel free to PM me.

The info you have is outdated, if you read one of the Good Doc's latest books, he had renamed TMS to mean THE MINDBODY SYNDROME. Prior to that TMS meant TENSION MYOSITIS SYNDROME, referring to muscles, tendons and ligaments as you said. Dr. Sarno has expanded TMS to cover and infinite number of dis-ease equivalents.

==================================================

TAKE THE HOLMES-RAHE STRESS TEST
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Holmes_and_Rahe_stress_scale

Some of my favorite excerpts from _THE DIVIDED MIND_ :
http://www.tmshelp.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=2605

==================================================

"It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society." Jiddu Krishnamurti

"Pain is inevitable; suffering is optional." Author Unknown

“You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation” – Plato

"Happy People Are Happy Putters." Frank Nobilo, Golf Analyst

"Be careful about reading health books. You may die of a misprint." Mark Twain and Balto

"The hot-dog is the noblest of dogs; it feeds the hand that bites it." Dr. Laurence Johnston Peter

"...the human emotional system was not designed to endure the mental rigors of a tennis match." Dr. Allen Fox

"Where ignorance is bliss, 'tis folly to be wise" - Thomas Gray

"All my friends in Los Angeles are the sensitive type. They all have like all the diseases like Chronic Fatigue, Epstien Barr, Fibromyalgia. Like all the diseases where the only symptoms seem to be you had a really crappy childhood and at the prospect of full time work ya feel kinda achy and tired."

Posted by Skizzik @ TMSHelp from comedian Maria Bamford

======================================================

"If it ends with "itis" or "algia" or "syndrome" and doctors can't figure out what causes it, then it might be TMS." Dave the Mod

=================================================

TMS PRACTITIONERS:

John Sarno, MD
400 E 34th St, New York, NY 10016
(212) 263-6035

Dr. Sarno is now retired, if you call this number you will be referred to his associate Dr. Rashbaum.

"...there are so many things little and big that are tms, I wouldn't have time to write about all of them": Told to icelikeaninja by Dr. Sarno

Here's the TMS practitioners list from the TMS Help Forum:
http://www.tmshelp.com/links.htm

Here's a list of TMS practitioners from the TMS Wiki:
http://tmswiki.org/ppd/Find_a_TMS_Doctor_or_Therapist

Edited by - tennis tom on 10/27/2015 23:58:42
Go to Top of Page

andy64tms

USA
589 Posts

Posted - 10/27/2015 :  19:38:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi, Lady lazarus, welcome.

If you go to our search and enter “abdominal muscles” go to page three you will find discussions about this subject. For instance Authors Lei and Mobius are maybe relevant to you. Search is a great tool.

Good luck

Andy
Past TMS Experience in 2000, with success.
Charlie Horse on neck for 20 years, is almost gone.
Books:
Healing Back Pain
Unlearn your Pain
The Great Pain Deception
Go to Top of Page

ladylazarus

2 Posts

Posted - 10/29/2015 :  10:53:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks a lot, both! I suppose I was hoping to have an idea of what exactly was causing my muscular symptoms, but it doesn't matter, as long as I know the mental process behind it. I wasn't aware Dr Sarno had revised the term TMS, I just went for what was highest rated on Amazon. I have also just started Dr Schubiner's Mind Body Programme. I'll post back if I make progress!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
TMSHelp Forum © TMSHelp.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000