TMSHelp Forum
TMSHelp Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Resources | Links | Policy
Username:
Password:

Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 TMSHelp
 TMSHelp General Forum
 Everything is not TMS
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page  
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Dave

USA
1864 Posts

Posted - 11/15/2015 :  09:11:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Given the heated debates recently I feel a need to remind the forum to be vigilant when diagnosing and treating medical conditions before jumping to any conclusions about the psychological aspect of the symptoms.

Dr. Sarno believes a wide range of conditions can be attributed to TMS. Still, the first step in his treatment program is always to rule out serious disease or illness.

To make a blanket statement like "all cancer is TMS" is short sighted and dangerous. The body is a complex machine and there are many possible causes. Do we really believe a young child who develops lymphoma is experiencing TMS?

Much of how the mind and body works, especially how they interact, remains a mystery. Pioneers like Dr. Sarno have taken a major step to suggest that psychological factors can cause physical symptoms and diseases. I hope this leads to more medical research and "proof" that he is right, and that his theory applies to many conditions. This will likely not happen in our lifetimes.

We owe a lot to Dr. Sarno for helping us cure a wide variety of symptoms. Nevertheless we still need to be careful. To re-iterate the most important part of this forum's policy:

You should not base any medical decision on material from this website. The Administrators and Moderators are not medical professionals. If you are experiencing chronic pain or other symptoms, you should seek treatment from a medical doctor. Diagnosis, treatment methods and other remedial steps can only be provided by a medical doctor.

tennis tom

USA
4746 Posts

Posted - 11/15/2015 :  10:57:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dave, I concur fully with this. Could you please post it at the top or bottom of each page, in bold, so it appears as a permanent "sticky".
Go to Top of Page

filipe

Portugal
280 Posts

Posted - 11/15/2015 :  11:36:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Children are subject to great stress. More than adult... Most children develope cancer after their parents get divorced... This is a fact...

Edited by - filipe on 11/15/2015 11:37:20
Go to Top of Page

filipe

Portugal
280 Posts

Posted - 11/15/2015 :  13:31:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
By theay away Dave,

quote:
Originally posted by Dave

Dr. Sarno believes a wide range of conditions can be attributed to TMS. Still, the first step in his treatment program is always to rule out serious disease or illness.

What Serious Diseases are you talking about? Fibromialgia? Complex Regional Pain Syndrome? RSD? Anorexia? Who defines if a disease is serious? Drs? Convencional medicine?

quote:

To make a blanket statement like "all cancer is TMS" is short sighted and dangerous.

What about onventional cancer treatment? Isn't it also dangerous? Or maybe more dangerous? Isn't it dangerous to say people with cancer should do Conventional treatment? Aren't people dying from Chemo?

Go to Top of Page

andy64tms

USA
589 Posts

Posted - 11/15/2015 :  14:25:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dave, you have my sympathy..

Andy
Past TMS Experience in 2000, with success.
Charlie Horse on neck for 20 years, is almost gone.
Books:
Healing Back Pain
Unlearn your Pain
The Great Pain Deception
Go to Top of Page

susan828

USA
291 Posts

Posted - 11/15/2015 :  21:38:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am rarely on this board lately but this caught my eye as I had posted the same about 2 years ago. I had chronic abdominal pains and attributed it to IBS, TMS...in the old says they just said "spastic colon" or "nervous stomach".

I had a colonoscopy which was perfect so I knew next step is to see a gynecologist. Turned out be ovarian cancer. You can say this was brought on by stress...you can say a 2 year old's cancer is really TMS....to this I say "Baloney".

I have pains for many years that are indeed TMS (like tooth pains, TMJ things) but I see people on this board let things go until it's too late, as I did...so am very appreciative of your post, Dave.

Like Sarno says, get things checked out, especially when they don't resolve with TMS theory and treatment.
Go to Top of Page

susan828

USA
291 Posts

Posted - 11/15/2015 :  21:39:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by susan828

I am rarely on this board lately but this caught my eye as I had posted the same about 2 years ago. I had chronic abdominal pains and attributed it to IBS, TMS...in the old days they just said "spastic colon" or "nervous stomach".

I had a colonoscopy which was perfect so I knew next step is to see a gynecologist. Turned out be ovarian cancer. You can say this was brought on by stress...you can say a 2 year old's cancer is really TMS....to this I say "Baloney".

I have pains for many years that are indeed TMS (like tooth pains, TMJ things) but I see people on this board let things go until it's too late, as I did...so am very appreciative of your post, Dave.

Like Sarno says, get things checked out, especially when they don't resolve with TMS theory and treatment.

Go to Top of Page

filipe

Portugal
280 Posts

Posted - 11/16/2015 :  03:00:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by susan828

[quote]Originally posted by susan828

... You can say this was brought on by stress...you can say a 2 year old's cancer is really TMS....to this I say "Baloney".

In other words, Cancer is just a matter of bad luck, or bad genes. There is nothing we can do about it except doing Chemo, Surgery and Radiotherapy...

Here is a rare, rare, rare, rare, rare, rare, rare, rare, rare, rare, rare, rare, rare case of someone who cured him self from cancer, with a TMS approach...

http://edition.cnn.com/2011/HEALTH/03/03/ep.seidler.cancer.mind.body/

Pure luck, I guess...
Go to Top of Page

tennis tom

USA
4746 Posts

Posted - 11/16/2015 :  03:16:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Does cancer show up in routine lab-work?
Go to Top of Page

filipe

Portugal
280 Posts

Posted - 11/16/2015 :  03:30:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by tennis tom

Does cancer show up in routine lab-work?

hmmm... Sorry Tom, my english isn't that good... I guess :) ... what do you mean by this?
Go to Top of Page

tennis tom

USA
4746 Posts

Posted - 11/16/2015 :  04:03:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
When you go to a doctor in the USA for a check-up, they routinely send you to a lab to take blood and urine samples. Would cancer be detected by such routine lab testing?
Go to Top of Page

filipe

Portugal
280 Posts

Posted - 11/16/2015 :  04:13:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

When you go to a doctor in the USA for a check-up, they routinely send you to a lab to take blood and urine samples. Would cancer be detected by such routine lab testing?

I now think its is a waste of time to do those exams. Because our body is always changing... But why are you asking me this? Where are you getting Tom?
Go to Top of Page

tennis tom

USA
4746 Posts

Posted - 11/16/2015 :  09:35:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
As John Macenroe would say: "ANSWER THE QUESTION!
Go to Top of Page

filipe

Portugal
280 Posts

Posted - 11/16/2015 :  09:54:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Tom, you're making fun of me :( I have only 2 stars. I'm a nobody compared to you ;) Anyway, I never did like tennis. I prefer Soccer... ehehe...
Go to Top of Page

filipe

Portugal
280 Posts

Posted - 11/16/2015 :  10:10:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Now I'm getting it. You want me to answer the question...

well, yes, I think they detect cancer. But they also detect hernias, CTS, Cubital Syndrome, Epicondilitys, and other structural abnormalities...

Edited by - filipe on 11/16/2015 10:12:10
Go to Top of Page

andy64tms

USA
589 Posts

Posted - 11/16/2015 :  11:02:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Filipe,

I see you are answering English questions, perhaps you could answer one of mine from a previous post when I wrote:

“I for one am not taking this personally. I am not the one with a personal vendetta against someone else’s belief. I am not the one personally chasing websites looking for that extra bit of information to support my belief. I am not the one personally posting hundreds of links to convince others. I am also not the one having marital difficulties. Do you fear perhaps that others have differing opinions?”

DO YOU FEAR PERHAPS THAT OTHERS HAVE DIFFERING OPINIONS?

Andy
Past TMS Experience in 2000, with success.
Charlie Horse on neck for 20 years, is almost gone.
Books:
Healing Back Pain
Unlearn your Pain
The Great Pain Deception
Go to Top of Page

filipe

Portugal
280 Posts

Posted - 11/16/2015 :  11:09:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by filipe

[quote]Originally posted by tennis tom

By the way Tom, you have mentioned a Tennis player, now I'm gonna mention a Basketball player. Can you explain me why on earth, an HVI positive patient, like Magic Johnson, doesn't develope AIDS?
Go to Top of Page

tennis tom

USA
4746 Posts

Posted - 11/16/2015 :  11:36:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

[quote]Originally posted by tennis tom

Can you explain me why on earth, an HVI positive patient, like Magic Johnson, doesn't develope AIDS?

No idea, I'm a tennis player, not basketball--although, I scored a key basket once in a pickup game with a world class lady player, and a Stanford kidney transplant surgeon, at Hannalei Bay, on Easter Sunday, and then had the foresight to go on defense after that and win a free dinner from an LA lawyer, a tennis pro and a Harvard business grad. We did have some trouble collecting on the bet but finally prevailed based on the evidence.
Go to Top of Page

filipe

Portugal
280 Posts

Posted - 11/16/2015 :  15:42:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm a great tennis player, on my PS3, I mean. I don't like Basketball, even on my PS3. I once score a great point, but I guess I was just lucky... I'm not sure. My friends told me it was plain luck. Maybe it had something to do with the way I throw the ball... with my gamepad, I mean. What do you think? Luck, or know how?

Anyway, I know some good real tennis players that had to end their careers because of "Tennis Elbow". They showed me their MRIs, and other exams, that showed unequivocally damage in their lateral epicondylitis. They were better players than John McEnroe, and they also dind't insut the judges on the tennis court, like Tennis John used to do ;)

At the time I din't know about Sarno.

Edited by - filipe on 11/16/2015 15:50:33
Go to Top of Page

alexis

USA
596 Posts

Posted - 11/20/2015 :  04:22:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
TMS needs to be recognized as just another medical diagnosis. Like any other diagnosis, there are people misdiagnosed with TMS, people who misdiagnose themselves, and people attached to the diagnosis for the secondary gain it gives them.

If a person has simplified the world so much that every, or almost every, medical condition is TMS they have more serious mental health issues that need to be addressed. The TMS Causes Everything folk are in the same bin as the Lyme Causes Everything folk, they are just in far too deep to see it. If you call one of these people out, expect the same reaction you get from any other fanatic.
Go to Top of Page

tennis tom

USA
4746 Posts

Posted - 11/20/2015 :  08:38:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Alexis is ABSOLUTELY right! NOT EVERYTHING IS TMS!--Only about 80% of what ails humanity!-- That is HUGE! Yet she equates it to the common cold as just another dx. She comes here from time to time to drop her little anti-Sarno bomblets based on ONE hearsay anecdote by a fellow who's dx came back as a vitamin deficiency. Vitamin deficiencies are the the current rage for allopathic docs to hang a dx on for chronic pain--along with lymes, CF, Fibro, which the vast majority are mis-dx'es that are in fact TMS/PSYCHOSOMATIC. This is because doctors don't want to take the time to deal with the real science behind 80% of dis-ease, the PSYCHOLOGY of emotions. It's less time consuming to compartmentalize those patients who chronically plant themselves in their waiting rooms as "mental". Real TMS doctors take the time to get acquainted with the emotional make-ups of their patients, I've heard of up to three hours by Dr. Schubiner.

So Alexis comes here time from time to time with the identical "jimmy-jimmy" vitamin deficiency nocebo story which is pure hearsay and is her sole anti-Dr. Sarno TMS mantra.

This is the internet so who knows, maybe Alexis is a schill for big pharma--or little pharma, repping for a vitamin supplement company or is on a trust fund from a doctor in the family. Who knows? But, she did not reply to the dire post by "smoothed" just above hers, maybe he skipped his vits? Perhaps Alexis can only relate to people in the abstract and not face to face. I'm sure we will see a reply--hidden in her BIO. As they say on the internet: DON'T FEED THE TROLL!

==================================================

TAKE THE HOLMES-RAHE STRESS TEST
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Holmes_and_Rahe_stress_scale

Some of my favorite excerpts from _THE DIVIDED MIND_ :
http://www.tmshelp.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=2605

==================================================

"It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society." Jiddu Krishnamurti

"Pain is inevitable; suffering is optional." Author Unknown

“You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation” – Plato

"Happy People Are Happy Putters." Frank Nobilo, Golf Analyst

"Be careful about reading health books. You may die of a misprint." Mark Twain and Balto

"The hot-dog is the noblest of dogs; it feeds the hand that bites it." Dr. Laurence Johnston Peter

"...the human emotional system was not designed to endure the mental rigors of a tennis match." Dr. Allen Fox

"Where ignorance is bliss, 'tis folly to be wise" - Thomas Gray

"All my friends in Los Angeles are the sensitive type. They all have like all the diseases like Chronic Fatigue, Epstien Barr, Fibromyalgia. Like all the diseases where the only symptoms seem to be you had a really crappy childhood and at the prospect of full time work ya feel kinda achy and tired."

Posted by Skizzik @ TMSHelp from comedian Maria Bamford

======================================================

"If it ends with "itis" or "algia" or "syndrome" and doctors can't figure out what causes it, then it might be TMS." Dave the Mod

=================================================

TMS PRACTITIONERS:

John Sarno, MD
400 E 34th St, New York, NY 10016
(212) 263-6035

Dr. Sarno is now retired, if you call this number you will be referred to his associate Dr. Rashbaum.

"...there are so many things little and big that are tms, I wouldn't have time to write about all of them": Told to icelikeaninja by Dr. Sarno

Here's the TMS practitioners list from the TMS Help Forum:
http://www.tmshelp.com/links.htm

Here's a list of TMS practitioners from the TMS Wiki:
http://tmswiki.org/ppd/Find_a_TMS_Doctor_or_Therapist

Edited by - tennis tom on 11/20/2015 08:47:33
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
TMSHelp Forum © TMSHelp.com Go To Top Of Page