TMSHelp Forum
TMSHelp Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Resources | Links | Policy
Username:
Password:

Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 TMSHelp
 TMSHelp General Forum
 Fatigue, drained, and stomach distress. Thoughts?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page  
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Switters

42 Posts

Posted - 11/05/2015 :  09:19:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
In the past week I've been experiencing a draining feeling of fatigue along with an upset stomach with some diarrea after I eat. I'm awaiting blood tests results and have a physical exam scheduled for Monday.

I am an otherwise healthy 46 year old male in decent shape.

I don't know what's causing this:
A stomach virus?
Anxiety/depression symptoms?
Seasonal Affective Disorder? (I live in Massachusetts, and I notice in recent years that when the weather turns cold I get very fatigued and drained. *Sometimes* this is strangely connected to a relationship that I want with a potential mate not panning out).

Why I think it might not be TMS:
I've caught the Norovirus before - it's horrible. Vomiting, etc. I'm thankfully not vomiting now, but the queasiness after eating feels virus-like. I have no cold, sore throat, or coughing.

Why I think it could be TMS:
Recent bout of sadness due to the loss of my best friend's father a month ago, a man I loved. Along with worry about my friend who is becoming an alcoholic.
Also been generally frustrated and sad about my romantic life. Too much time alone with too much dwelling on past girlfriends that I loved who left me (harshly) for their own reasons. (obsessing)

Also:
A couple years ago - after months of grief at the breakup of my girlfriend, I had several major panic attacks that brought me to the ER. (First time that ever happened to me). Interestingly, I stopped having panic attacks when a NEW woman came into my life, so to some extent I know it was a psychological issue.

Thank you for reading this. I normally have a cast-iron stomach. Despite these symptoms I am doing cardio exercise again since I'd been avoideding the gym.

Thoughts?

andy64tms

USA
589 Posts

Posted - 11/07/2015 :  13:58:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Switters,

So you are in a bad place right now, a perfect time for TMS to get a hold. Deciding which symptoms are actually TMS related is an art form, and I have stopped trying to relate each symptom with a specific pain or ailment, I don’t think it matters since TMS often creates new pains elsewhere. I call this jumping TMS and from reading your past posts you seem to have it. I believe this has been referred to as “The symptom Imperative “by Steve Ozanich.

It’s unfortunate that many virus and disease ailments have overlapping symptoms with TMS, and TMS has no rules as to how it diverts your attention. For this reason it does not matter what your Dr. says next week. If it’s a virus it will run its course, if it is bacterial he may prescribe antibiotics, you’ll feel better. He may have a leaning to mind body theories, ask him.

For me doing something I love is an antidote for TMS, sometimes I choose woodwork (creative) or exercise (physical).

Also my past comments may be relative regarding “creativity” and this “time of year”

http://www.tmshelp.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=8838

Enjoy the Gym

Andy
Past TMS Experience in 2000, with success.
Charlie Horse on neck for 20 years, is almost gone.
Books:
Healing Back Pain
Unlearn your Pain
The Great Pain Deception
Go to Top of Page

Switters

42 Posts

Posted - 11/08/2015 :  12:19:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you for responding Andy. As an artist I know how important it is to stay busy on projects - it helps me forget about ailments and problems.

Since my last post I have continued experiencing stomach distress after eating. Today is just bloating and cramping after eating very lightly for the past 24 hours. Some folks online have described similar symptoms. I might have some pesky stomach virus.

The good news is, my blood tests look fine according to my doctor. He said he didn't see anything that worried him. I'm seeing him tomorrow.

Thanks again,
Switters
Go to Top of Page

tennis tom

USA
4746 Posts

Posted - 11/08/2015 :  13:24:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Deepak Chopra says, "Staying home with the flu is the Western form of meditation."

==================================================

TAKE THE HOLMES-RAHE STRESS TEST
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Holmes_and_Rahe_stress_scale

Some of my favorite excerpts from _THE DIVIDED MIND_ :
http://www.tmshelp.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=2605

==================================================

"It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society." Jiddu Krishnamurti

"Pain is inevitable; suffering is optional." Author Unknown

“You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation” – Plato

"Happy People Are Happy Putters." Frank Nobilo, Golf Analyst

"Be careful about reading health books. You may die of a misprint." Mark Twain and Balto

"The hot-dog is the noblest of dogs; it feeds the hand that bites it." Dr. Laurence Johnston Peter

"...the human emotional system was not designed to endure the mental rigors of a tennis match." Dr. Allen Fox

"Where ignorance is bliss, 'tis folly to be wise" - Thomas Gray

"All my friends in Los Angeles are the sensitive type. They all have like all the diseases like Chronic Fatigue, Epstien Barr, Fibromyalgia. Like all the diseases where the only symptoms seem to be you had a really crappy childhood and at the prospect of full time work ya feel kinda achy and tired."

Posted by Skizzik @ TMSHelp from comedian Maria Bamford

======================================================

"If it ends with "itis" or "algia" or "syndrome" and doctors can't figure out what causes it, then it might be TMS." Dave the Mod

=================================================

TMS PRACTITIONERS:

John Sarno, MD
400 E 34th St, New York, NY 10016
(212) 263-6035

Dr. Sarno is now retired, if you call this number you will be referred to his associate Dr. Rashbaum.

"...there are so many things little and big that are tms, I wouldn't have time to write about all of them": Told to icelikeaninja by Dr. Sarno

Here's the TMS practitioners list from the TMS Help Forum:
http://www.tmshelp.com/links.htm

Here's a list of TMS practitioners from the TMS Wiki:
http://tmswiki.org/ppd/Find_a_TMS_Doctor_or_Therapist

Edited by - tennis tom on 11/08/2015 14:45:03
Go to Top of Page

garystil

Australia
42 Posts

Posted - 11/09/2015 :  01:54:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The very first thing I would do is to stay away from any food containing wheat.

I was fine with wheat up until the age of 55, and then a period of extreme stress turned my whole constitution upside down, and I lost 33 pounds in 3 months.

I've seen dramatic improvement in people abstaining from wheat, in timeframes ranging from one day to one month.

See if that helps before you embark on your TMS journey.
Go to Top of Page

Switters

42 Posts

Posted - 11/13/2015 :  08:43:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for your feedback about wheat. I have never had any issues eating it, but as you say, neither did you until you turned 55.

Update: I am still having stomach distress after eating. I saw my doctor and he says there's a gastro virus going around and he thinks I picked it up. I have no other symptoms - just an upset stomach after eating certain things - right now I can only comfortably eat rice soup with veggies and some chicken. Usually oatmeal with banana is ok. I tested the waters with a roast beef sandwich last night, and my body rejected it with stomach cramps and gas.

I have an appetite - which is the weird part.

I've never experienced anything quite like this, for this long - almost 2 weeks, so I'm not sure if I got some parasite, etc.

My doc said he'd give me a pro-biotic if it lasts another week, which he said it shouldn't.

Not fun!

Go to Top of Page

andy64tms

USA
589 Posts

Posted - 11/13/2015 :  11:54:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The fact is we eat through habit and what is available around our environment. Our favorite foods derive from our childhood and the introduction of learned tastes. Since we are basically a bag of chemicals it stands to reason that different foods would have an effect on us. Normally food intake sooths the parasympathetic nervous system (a wonderful topic), and emotions would upset this soothing process. In your case I do not think it’s the food, but to add to what Gary said my father at around 55 of age developed intolerance to gluten. Gluten is found in wheat and other grains; he resolved this by removing wheat from his diet. Did your doc test for this?

You have feedback from your doctor, he says it could be a stomach virus which will run its course. Could this virus be an open door, an invitation for TMS? Yes!

Probiotics are in vogue presently, as the line of thought is that you need good bacteria if your immune system is not quite right. They seem popular after taking anti-biotic, as these drugs wipe out both good and bad bacteria. Don’t wait for the Dr., you could be “pro-active” and purchase your own probiotics over the counter, as some people take these all the time.

In the past I have done many things to counter that grumbling anxiety in my stomach, and by far, some form of physical activity always makes me feel better, for me this has to be enough to make me puff and pant and get that nice glow in my chest. After I exercise is a good time for me to reflect the physiological issues that are making me feel bad. Exercise the antidote for TMS.

Andy
Books:
Healing Back Pain
Unlearn your Pain
The Great Pain Deception

Edited by - andy64tms on 11/13/2015 11:57:09
Go to Top of Page

garystil

Australia
42 Posts

Posted - 11/14/2015 :  03:47:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
"I can only comfortably eat rice soup with veggies and some chicken." This is wheat free.

"I tested the waters with a roast beef sandwich last night, and my body rejected it with stomach cramps and gas." This is not wheat free.

Here's a challenge; have the same burger, but this time use wheat free bread.
Go to Top of Page

tennis tom

USA
4746 Posts

Posted - 11/14/2015 :  09:54:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
To quote a MINDBODY lady doctor, who's book signing I attended awhile back, her name escapes me at the moment: while holding a glass of green "health" elixer, that someone was pushing on the side: "This is not about nutrition."
Go to Top of Page

andy64tms

USA
589 Posts

Posted - 11/14/2015 :  10:18:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
For me diet issues are definitely mindbody, as in eating bad tarcos! Allergies and Food interolerance is how our bodies talk to us. I think our immune system,( yes, a conditioned response) just says yuk!

Andy
Books:
Healing Back Pain
Unlearn your Pain
The Great Pain Deception
Go to Top of Page

andy64tms

USA
589 Posts

Posted - 11/14/2015 :  11:50:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It would be interesting to know how that rejection response was turned on. Perhaps eat burgers with a blind-fold and a peg over your nose. Switters, knew he was going to eat wheat, did he also for-cast the cramps and gas? I think there has to be some level of conditioning otherwise we wouldn’t have favorite foods. I have heard testimonies this conditioning can be turned off, and indeed have done so myself with reducing my salt intake. By the way I love 9 grain crunchy toast.

Switters “Pavlov's Dogs” is a fun read, I hope you feel better.

Andy
Books:
Healing Back Pain
Unlearn your Pain
The Great Pain Deception

Edited by - andy64tms on 11/14/2015 13:34:04
Go to Top of Page

Switters

42 Posts

Posted - 11/18/2015 :  15:50:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for these additional replies. Update: The issues continue, hit or miss - some days better, some meals better than others. Keeping my diet simple. Oatmeal with fruit/bananas in the morning, rice soup with veggies and chicken. Today I had chicken, salad, rice, and sweet potato and I have bloating and gas.

I've been reviewing "Healing Back Pain" and "The Divided Mind" and Sarno addresses IBS and even his own IBS symptoms during a vacation he didn't want to take with his wife.

What's happening to me now is that I'm becoming afraid to eat regular meals. I realize Sarno suggests this is a TMS trait. I'm starting to worry that I have a serious ailment, despite my normal bloodwork, my doctor's suggestion that it's a virus, and no other disturbing symptoms...all systems are otherwise normal.

It's just NOT like me to have gastro issues for 2-3 weeks like this. I'll check out Pavlov's Dog. Thanks!
Go to Top of Page

garystil

Australia
42 Posts

Posted - 11/19/2015 :  23:40:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Remove Oatmeal from your diet Switters. For some, its as bad as wheat. Replace it with corn or rice cereals (like Corn flakes or Rice bubbles).

I posted this on an IBS forum many years ago showing how I used TMS to recover from severe food intolerances:

http://www.ibsgroup.org/forums/topic/130859-road-to-recovery/

Edited by - garystil on 11/19/2015 23:47:23
Go to Top of Page

Switters

42 Posts

Posted - 11/24/2015 :  07:10:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you Garystil - I read your post on how you overcame food intolerances. Interesting and helpful.

Regarding not eating oatmeal or wheat - guys - this advice is so frustrating. I have never had an issue with this before. If I listened to everybody's opinion on what to eat, I wouldn't end up eating ANYTHING. I've literally had several intelligent people tell me not to eat wheat, oatmeal, acidic fruits, dairy, or coffee. Can you survive on lettuce and vegetables only? How is that practical?

Update: My symptoms have persisted. My doctor recommends I see a gasto doctor and potentially get an endoscopy. I also have a Doctor friend who thinks I might have a little gastritis and concurs with my doctor. I am very bummed out by this, concerned and starting to obsess.

I'm also very confused as to what to do, because I understand TMS symptoms, I have vented my stresses and worries with close friends, so I'm fully aware of what they are. So I don't know what advice to follow right now. With doc's approval I just started taking a probiotic and Prilosec this morning to see if that helps. But I'm unsure whether to spend the money and feel the increased fear and expense that comes with seeing a gastro doctor and getting an unpleasant endoscopy.

Any encouragement would be appreciated. Thanks.
Go to Top of Page

alexis

USA
596 Posts

Posted - 11/24/2015 :  08:10:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Switters, there are a lot of different things with these symptoms, from psychosomatic or stress related issues to inflammatory and infectious conditions which, untreated, could lead to surgical removal of parts of the intestines. I would recommend adjusting to the reality of the uncertainty and not making worry central, but meanwhile following up on standard medical investigations. These are very tricky scenarios where you may never get a definitive answer, and learning to live with that, I think, is the real challenge.
Go to Top of Page

andy64tms

USA
589 Posts

Posted - 11/24/2015 :  11:32:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Switters,

This web site can be very frustrating, however this and the Wiki are the only sites for gathering information about our concerns related to TMS. What really matters is what you think and what you believe to be true. If you went to a Dr. you get one opinion, if you come here you get twenty.

Let’s take Gary’s input about the oatmeal, he did say: “for some”. I would say Gary knows more about IBS issues than others, he has lived IBS first hand, he’s posted 445 posts about the subject, he believes in TMS theory, and he says his health is much improved. In essence he portrays credibility. It is up to you to discern if his experience applies to you.

My neighbor, a big burly ex-cop, dropped in on me yesterday saying he was scared about his upcoming colonoscopy. I tapped him on the back and said: “it’s nothing to worry about, I have had two of them, and I now consider them a great time to have a nap”. There is nothing unpleasant, quite the opposite and the benefit of feedback that rules out the physical. The colonoscopy may be beneficial in other ways and lead you towards an improved diet with more fiber, as it did with me.

I do not have IBS, but my wife suffers from it. Hers originates from the pancreas area, and when she starts rubbing the area I know something is wrong. As Alexis states IBS is complicated, with different forms, to add to what she says I would also take a cursory look into the two nervous systems that control the internal organs. Type in on Google: “Parasympathetic” and “Sympathetic”, “Autonomic Nervous system”. If you study the gooey pictures for several minutes or so you will realize most of what is happing inside us is on auto pilot, subconscious, definitely in the realm of TMS.

Most of your conversations over the last few weeks relate to physical and diet, perhaps now is the time to migrate towards the psychological. Have you tried journaling or the TMS recovery program on the Wiki? Also Fred Amir is generously offering a free workshop Saturday Dec 5th that might benefit you.

http://www.tmshelp.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=9821
Good Luck

Andy
Books:
Healing Back Pain
Unlearn your Pain
The Great Pain Deception

Edited by - andy64tms on 11/24/2015 11:38:18
Go to Top of Page

Switters

42 Posts

Posted - 11/24/2015 :  14:40:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for responding. I must say, when I read Gary's link about how he handled his IBS, (using Sarno's methods...talking to his pain/gut, even laughing at it, his symptoms sound exactly like mine.

I've decided for today on this approach: I'm going to take some probiotics and Prilosec for a couple days and see how I feel, all while being mindful of TMS. I realize Sarno suggests getting off meds if physical abnormalities are ruled out. I *did* have normal blood and urine tests done and my doctor said I was otherwise healthy during my physical 2 weeks ago. If I don't see improvement in a couple days I'll follow up with the gastro doctor.

Part of my reasoning is, I've witnessed my mother's IBS for years. Almost all of her tests return normal. She's had tight throat, reflux, IBS, shifting symptoms - very TMS.

Thanks very much all!

Edited by - Switters on 11/24/2015 14:42:15
Go to Top of Page

andy64tms

USA
589 Posts

Posted - 11/25/2015 :  10:10:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Switters,

You have a personal plan for recovery, you are doing well, thank you for informing us. Keeping notes or journaling can be beneficial as your plan will evolve daily.

Let me encourage you to use the search feature, it is really good, especially if the answers you get don’ t quite fit. If you did a search for “Prilosec”, you are able to scan very quickly through many threads because “Prilosec” is yellowed. It’s also good for getting inspiration and ideas about your own specific issues and you will see that “Prilosec” has mixed reviews.

Andy
Books:
Healing Back Pain
Unlearn your Pain
The Great Pain Deception
Go to Top of Page

Switters

42 Posts

Posted - 12/04/2015 :  15:09:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi All, update:

My symptoms of ibs have continued, so I decided to meet with a gastro doctor today and she feels I should get an endoscopy and ultrasound to see what's going on...scheduled for Tues and Wed. next week. (I discontinued Prilosec after a few days because no change and mixed reviews)

I'm frustrated and a bit anxious.
Why?
Because I've been reviewing Dr. Sarno's books, watching his video lecture. I think, "That's me." I relate. Especially when he mentioned Delayed TMS symptoms appearing suddenly weeks after a stressful emotional period in which one "rises to the occasion". My symptoms kicked in 2 weeks after my second father (my best friend's dad) passed away in early Oct. He was the most wonderful guy in the world and a huge influence on me. I should also mention that before his death, self-help author Wayne Dyer died -- another "father figure" role in my life - if virtually - for many years. So my two "chosen" fathers whom I was acquainted for 25+ years passed within 2 months. Not sure I can blame this on that. My own dad asked me the other day, "When did Jim die again?" and I unexpectedly burst into tears. A trigger.

So because I've been AWARE of Sarno's teachings, relate, and have been discussing my emotional issues with friends and family... yet STILL feel stomach distress - well, it has me worried. I've lost 9 lbs in 3 weeks, mostly due to my leaner diet due to symptoms. I've eaten more gluten free oatmeal and bread.

I should mention: I DO notice the symptoms lessen when I'm with others, distracted. Or like today - I took a walk after lunch and felt pretty good walking until I got back in my car and then UGH I could feel my gut tighten.

I read and copied Gary's method for talking to his brain (and laughing at) his IBS symptoms, I found it inspiring. However, I don't know if Gary was tested first to rule out serious issues. If he reads this please explain if you/he did?

It's been hard for me to think "It's just TMS" or laugh at this, because the symptoms continued and I don't know what's up, and would feel foolish not investigating further w/ a proper doctor.

My symptoms are: gastro discomfort not long after eating, trapped gas, bloating, and sometimes NOW, radiating lower back pain. (which may have been a mattress issue - not sure - but that's being resolved.)

It's the "not knowing what it is" that's bothering me even more. Even the doc said, "we won't know until we do/see the tests. Could be an ulcer, GERD, etc." There was a poster on her wall describing all the structural things that could causing the problems!! (No TMS listed)

I felt better yesterday. But today since seeing the doc and scheduling those "scary" tests my symptoms are flaring again. She DID say if my symptoms went away I wouldn't need to do the tests.

At least I'm not vomiting, and I have no other scary symptoms. Just this lingering discomfort.

Any words or support would be appreciated. Thank you.

Edited by - Switters on 12/04/2015 15:29:36
Go to Top of Page

garystil

Australia
42 Posts

Posted - 12/05/2015 :  08:07:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Switters,

I had a number of tests done - endoscopy, colonoscopy, blood screens, ultrasound etc, and nothing was found. And although I'm not a medical professional, I'm confident that nothing unpleasant will be found with your tests.

Your gut is reacting to your sadness and despair with regard to your recent loss. I personally suffered huge stress for several years. Three days after my problems were resolved, my gut completely lost its ability to digest 98% of foods.

The first time this happened was in March 2005. It wasn't until September 2006, that I discovered that the cholesterol lowering drugs (statins) that I had been taking for over 3 years, had become toxic to my body. I simply stopped taking statins and my body's digestive processes returned to normal.

The second time it happened was in July 2008. I couldn't believe I was experiencing the same symptoms, when I felt that I had already eliminated the cause - the statins!

I was much wiser for the first experience, but it was only an important communication from a former TMS forum member (Graham Tuffee) in Februry 2009, that put me on the pathway to power and freedom.

I think its quite sensible to have tests done, but you have to acknowledge that the onset of your gut symptoms coincides with your loss, and the symptoms you describe are pretty similar to mine - diarrhea, bloating, stomach distension, weakness etc.

Please stop eating the Oatmeal. Irrespective of whether or not its gluten free, just stop eating it for one week. There's no point in chucking rat poison down your gut and then trying to TMS your way out of it.

And let me know what you're eating for breakfast, lunch and dinner, and how you feel after each meal. You'll be able to reintroduce meals (like I did) once you get your confidence back.

Cheers,
Gary

Edited by - garystil on 12/05/2015 08:34:49
Go to Top of Page

andy64tms

USA
589 Posts

Posted - 12/05/2015 :  11:22:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Switters,

With TMS first rule is to rule out the physical. Easier said than done, the constant nagging anxiety that something is really wrong can never be rid off completely. This anxiety drives one to be overly focused, to worry excessively on our physical. Being overly focused also is bad because it drives our anxiety, it’s a vicious circle. You are still in the cycle of your physical issues regarding food and pain. Gary states his experience with TMS that food played a major part, I agree, but as he pointed out you are presently going through emotional issues. Were you OK before these issues arose?

Get your doctor’s visits over with, get to a point where they cannot explain your issues and make that leap of faith – it’s not physical. You seem very versed with Dr. Sarno and have a good understanding of TMS theory, carry the 12 daily reminders with you for moments of doubt.

You seem to be a “worrywart”, from my own experience I recognize you as such, our worrying unduly will drive our anxiety, again a vicious circle. You have picked the “delayed symptoms” as the possible problem related to current emotional issues, but from my experience we don’t suffer from a “stand alone issue”, rather a mixture.

Dr Sarno inspired me to come up with “My three Pees”, Past events, Present and Personality. It’s time for a self audit, a review of yourself, and you have to be honest. I found out that it’s the “P” past that forms your personality, it’s the “P” present where our anxiety and pains reside, and our “P” personality that makes things better or worse.

In 2011 I found it quite distasteful to write my bio on my PAST, what I wrote went against all that I had come to believe. It went against the family and society’s rules of conduct, but it is my past is laid out in a nutshell. I have actually deleted it a few times, and ended up calling it “My Crappy Bio”.

In 2011 I was laid off and my PRESENT circumstances rapidly changed, I retired and since that time have revised everything about my life. Getting out of the volatile stock market, creating a house budget, all those things humans avoid doing.

In 2012 looking at my PERSONALITY my biggest shock was to realize how much of a perfectionist I was, I journal about this in depth. What started out as negative stories gradually changed to how much joy I have received from my perfectionism. One of the stories was how I carved a steering wheel from a slab of aluminum…with a file! My perfectionism turned out to be my biggest asset; it made me who I am today. I have had to mellow, and remind myself that:”Perfectionism is a gift to be used wisely”.

I was saddened to hear of the passing of Wayne Dyer, I never read his book or followed him in depth. I saw him on a Louise Hay video “Heal your Life”. He said words of wisdom in one sentence that had a profound influence on my recovery.

I hope you find your words of wisdom, they are out there.

Andy
Books:
Healing Back Pain
Unlearn your Pain
The Great Pain Deception
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
TMSHelp Forum © TMSHelp.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000